Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 9triton View Post
    Good update.

Interesting to see the workings of old harleys.- probably never changed for 40 years.

What was buggered on the hub? Wear on the pins from the plates?
    Yes, especially when most of my experience is on KTMs its a head spin sometimes! Big, heavy, kinda crude at times.

The pins were worn yep. If you squint you might be able to see in the pic. The backing plate on the hub was also loose in it's rivets, twisting about 5mm each way. I think some holes in the plates had become ovalised too. Never noticed any clutch issues when riding it however?

Comment

Pissing weird coloured oil. Fixed with some new seals.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	20200625_112149.jpg
Views:	282
Size:	5.60 MB
ID:	7267814

Comment

New foot rubber all around. Would love to know how many shifts this one has done. Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20210704-211823_Gallery.jpg
Views:	274
Size:	1.37 MB
ID:	7267819

Comment

Cleaning decades of grot seems to be the theme of this bike. I need to build a parts washing tub or maybe it's worth buying one just for this project. So much more filth to clean. However this is the primary inner where the drive chain runs around the sprocket - this is before o- ring chains and obviously before Harley went to belt drive. So they had an auto chain oiler which was a hose from the oil pump which dribbled some oil onto the chain every now and again. Not bad in theory but messy if not set perfectly and this one had a hole in the hose which means it just got sprayed everywhere anyway. I have replaced the non o-ring chain with one from this century and turned the oiler off. Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot_20210704-212257_Gallery.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.49 MB ID:	7267821
          Last edited by Likes Dirt; 04-07-21, 10:00 PM.

Comment

Bearing in above grot house needed some help to stay in it's home. Nice.

Name:	20201010_152907.jpg
Views:	283
Size:	5.15 MB
ID:	7267823

Comment

Classic stitch up: I shortened the chain 1 link too many. No one to blame but myself so I'll just press a link back in right? No. Chain doesn't fit my breaking tool and also uses a rivet style joiner so i can't just use a clip like normal. Order a tool and a joining link up. Many weeks pass and get some solid family help and motivation to reassemble it all. Had new shocks sitting there so they also get fitted. Test ride around the block and it's fine - very happy. But it also feels like a bit of an anticlimax. After all of that work its still a tired old thing. Leaking oil from many and various parts it shouldn't and most of the coatings are buggered in some way. It was then decided a proper Resto is the way to go.

Comment

Clutch in

Name:	20210103_152651.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	4.75 MB
ID:	7273796Click image for larger version

Name:	20201011_171818.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	4.75 MB
ID:	7273795

Comment

This is a cool project. That shift nub is cool as.
                  I’d be hesitant to refinish the whole bike. A lot of history there!

Comment

New shocks are shorter,but apparently more like stock. Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20210722-212326_Gallery.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	1.39 MB
ID:	7273799
                    Looks a bit generic- Harley when missing the pillion back rest and some chrome trim.

Name:	20210117_085346.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	7.10 MB
ID:	7273800

Comment

Originally posted by 44 View Post
                      This is a cool project. That shift nub is cool as.
                      I’d be hesitant to refinish the whole bike. A lot of history there!
                      Absolutely, I'm hearing ya. I could have retired it and had an interesting show piece for the odd ride or event, but thats not for me. Anyway, its snowballed into a full on resto now and I'll get to enjoy riding it for (hopefully) a few more decades.

Comment

Been to a few shows ask the pristinely rebuilt bike car tractor etc owner are you going to use it and watch their face are they going to use it.
                        Especially when essentially as it's a dulux rebuild.

Shits me to tears seeing old stuff not used as it was intended and turned into a show queen...

Last show i went to ol mate had a hj47 cruiser ute he was restoring asked when the first 4wd trip was is should of seen his face it was like it was a sacrilege just to talk about it.
                        Turns out ol mate bought off same guy that I bought my ute off 2x odd years earlier and my ol man rip bought his 47 at similar time as the one ol mate was restoring.

Imo build it so that you can enjoy it more not for some other cunt

Comment

I’m not a fan of Harleys but that looks really good. And unpretentious. Would ride.

Comment

Name:	20210823_195143.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	681.1 KB
ID:	7285709 No amount of fork seals will make up for missing chrome on the forks. Sent to RadHard chrome in QLD for some new stuff.
                            Got onto Lightfoot Engineering in Melb about the wheels. Great bloke, very insightful and understanding about my ideas about the bike. I think i could listen to him talk about bikes for a very long time. In the end he put 1 new rim on the rear and the front is getting replated because he cant get one anywhere in the country. New spokes made in- house and the old hubs will get reused - aluminium front and steel rear. No pics yet because they aren't finished. Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20210823-193558_Gallery.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	898.5 KB
ID:	7285710

Name:	Screenshot_20210823-193418_Gallery.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	848.2 KB
ID:	7285708

Comment

Did the engine get rebuilt by old mate in NSW you mentioned?

Or still to come?

Comment

Originally posted by 9triton View Post
                                Did the engine get rebuilt by old mate in NSW you mentioned?

Or still to come?
                                Still waiting on parts from the US. Last i heard was ETA unknown due to manufacturing delays there.

Comment

Working...
                                X