X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ahh - 'next week , bro'

- he as the motor ?- or still in bike so you can still use

Comment

Well possibly, but i believe what he says. Plus he's in the same town as the old man who knows him well enough and is keeping me up to speed. These pics as from a month or so ago, might actually check in today to see if any progress.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1335.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	721.1 KB
ID:	7287734Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1336.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	699.8 KB
ID:	7287735

Comment

At time of disassembly the update was very positive: "One of the best shovel motors he has ever seen. A result of proper servicing etc he reckons.
        Heads, valves and seats are excellent, and will clean up perfectly. Stem seals were loose but are renewed in the process.
        Pistons and bores are also very good and only need a quick light hone.
        Bottom end is all good too, nothing damaged. End float on crank main bearings is excessive.
        Could be several reasons for the balance issue which would take a lot of sorting like piston matching etc.
        He was amazed to see perfect original hydraulic lifters too. They are prone to leaking down and staying down. Everything else is excellent and undamaged ( push rods, cover tubes, rocker box, oil pump etc."

Will be getting S&S crank assembly with matching pistons/rings etc. to address the balance issue, and they are way better than anything Harley can crap out. There is also the benefits of having known parts, as there is some unknowns about what exactly was put in when it was rebuilt in the 90's. And i should get a lot more years from a fresh motor.

Comment

I need a new loom for this if anyone has a hot tip? Looks like a couple mobs in the US make them for a reasonable price ($200-ish USD). Not worth my trouble to make one for that price, only if they are good quality though.

Comment

No hot tip from me .
            if that helps....

Comment

Name:	image_128504.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	3.65 MB
ID:	7295181 Mmm chromey. Fork tubes back from RadHard chroming in QLD. Need to clean the sliders and put new seals in. RC supplied bushes too but i will see if i need to/can install these myself. Click image for larger version  Name:	20210828_151905.jpg Views:	0 Size:	3.38 MB ID:	7295180
              Last edited by Likes Dirt; 17-09-21, 02:58 PM.

Comment

Stripped it down and took many photos in the process. Because I'm so smart I invented the Arrow on a Stick to help identify what's actually in the pic.

Name:	20210704_154655.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	4.34 MB
ID:	7295655

Name:	20210703_112307.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	4.39 MB
ID:	7295654

Name:	20210703_122952.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	3.27 MB
ID:	7295653

Comment

Got frame back from paint by Resto Shop in Darwin. Great to deal with and stuck to their time/cost estimations. Looks good in traditional black of course. A few rubber grommets i forgot to take out and steering stem bearing races were painted over but it's no big deal they need to come out anyway.

Name:	20210824_071226.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	4.81 MB
ID:	7302516

Name:	20210824_070604.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	4.78 MB
ID:	7302515

Comment

looks shiny .

paint or powder coat?

Comment

2 pack gloss black. Thanks to the self-applying coats of engine oil to many of the external parts, the frame is in pretty good nick. Battery tray probably has the most visible signs of old rust with the finish appearing as bit dimpled.

Comment

Working...
                      X