Bucket List - 1972 Honda CB100 K2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bucket List - 1972 Honda CB100 K2

Always wanted an old bike, particularly for some strange reason one of the comically small ones like an A100, CB100, etc. Talked to my old man, in passing, about a CB100 I thought was cool... and that opened a can of worms.

Turns out not only do I think they're cool as hell, but a 70-72 CB100 was his first ever motorbike. Crap. So he's in a home now and probably not got long left, so I wanted to take this on - hopefully I'll get it done in time to show him, have him reminisce, and get some photos, but if not when it's done it will be something to remember him by.

So, cue a small 'pay it whenever' debt to a family member, and I now own a K2 CB100. Bike is complete, heaps of spares, but needs a full going over. 95kg, 99cc, 11hp, top speed 60mph.... and that was 50 years ago with a 65kg rider lol

Will probably do a 125/185/200 engine in the process, assuming I can get it approved, to make it safer/able to be actually used on modern roads.

Gotta do a road trip in a couple of weeks to pick it up.... then stay tuned for tears and stupid questions.
    Last edited by Shifty; 17-04-21, 10:45 AM.
    Originally posted by 350stato
    100% agree with Shifty

That will be a fun project and a fun jigger once you finish it.

Comment

Top project - looking forward to the road trip to go pick her up!!!

I'm going to start taking bets on which is running first - this or either of my two GSX's......
      don't ask to ride my bike and i won't ask if i can shag your missus

Comment

Love it. I reckon on the street less bike = more fun.

Comment

I too have a love for absurdly little road bikes. I always wanted to build a bucket racer road replica. This looks like a great little thing.

Comment

So I've done heaps of research, looks like it will be great fun and a cheap resto. The biggest challenge is whrels/tyres, they're quite an oddity and noone really sells tyres to suit... they're 2.5-18 on an 18x1.4 front and 2.75-18 on an 18x1.6 rear. Comically, that translates to metric tyres of 64/64-18 and 70/70-18.

Given the wheels need a resto, I will probably fit postie bike wheels and which are cheap as, 17x1.4, and that gives a huge range of tyres but appearance (filing the guards) and clearance (the forks are nearly touching lol) will need some attention.

Much of the stuff is available reproduction, and there's still q bit of NOS stuff out there because the micro capacity stuff hasn't really taken off heavily in restoration circles, at least not yet.

Gotta sort my finances first, I don't have to pay for the bike any time soon but have some smallish debts too and obviously neex/want to cover all that before I spend anything... as much as I want to go all ADHD on it asap.
            Last edited by Shifty; 29-04-21, 10:50 AM.
            Originally posted by 350stato
            100% agree with Shifty

Comment

Working...
            X