A newbie wanting a bike

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Watch out with the WR400's and the like, they are still competition machines - they are usually road registerable because some enduro's end up on public roads for a bit. These bikes will require regular maintinance - a lot more than say an XR400.
    Originally posted by tandy ass
    Got a 97 cielo for free (I think i got ripped off)

Comment

There is a bit of a misconception about bikes. As they traditionally don't travel as many kilometers as cars (often only used on weekends when weather is perfect - example being my neighbour who has a 3 year old bike with under 4,000kms on it), people will poo-hoo a bike because it's got 60,000kms on the clock when in reality the thing is only just getting started and will last forever!

At the end of the day if it's well serviced a bike will just just as long as a car - just remember though that because of the "high kms" stigma a bike with anything approaching 100,000kms will be hard to on-sell later.

Just watch out for bikes that have been crashed or do not have good service histories.
      Originally posted by 350stato
      100% agree with Shifty

Comment

What about a scooter?

Comment

You were going ok until that last post...

Scooters are like riding fat chicks - it's fun until your mates find out. You have been given great advice, get yourself a reasonable 250 and learn how to ride. Then and only then step up to something bigger and faster. This is the path i intend to follow - i'd have bought a GPZ or a VTR by now except the temptation to grab another dirtbike was just too strong !! :D
          The older i get, the better i was...

Comment

Ive had a CBR 250 single R for about a year, Ive done 15000kms since January riding to and from work every day and I cant fault it. Its been severely neglected and was starting to complain and run shitty last week. New oil, plugs and a filter and she is as good as new!

I got it on the road for $2K too. I like it but want more go now. Im about the same size as you except a bit heavier.
            Maverick - gone
            Turbo AU Ute

Comment

Does Ducati make any 250's?

Comment

They did, but you wouldn't want to be owning one unless you really love Ducatis.

Comment

Originally posted by FatBoy
                  You were going ok until that last post...

Scooters are like riding fat chicks - it's fun until your mates find out.
                  I ride a TL1000R and have a CBR1000F turboed drag bike (and once owned many sports bikes, like an R1), but have fancied an Aprilia SR50 scooter lately :oh:

Does that mean I'm coming out of the closet? Should I buy a handbag to match? :rotflol:

Shifty, I saw an R1 put a 17 year old in the grave in less than 10 minutes. Killed himslef around the corner from my place. Complete waste of a beautiful R1 in the hands of a dickhead (no licence)

Comment

Newbie Biker, don't worry about how people see you on a scooter (or any other bike). Scooters can be fun. And, afterall, it is about only you and your bike. If you care what others think of your bike, then your not enjoying the ride!

Comment

Originally posted by Newbie Biker
                      Does Ducati make any 250's?
                      As you live in NSW you can get something bigger than a 250 that is still learner legal, NSW use the power/weight limit. I think it is 150kw per tonne and a max cc of 660 (see RTA website for approved bikes). So you might be able to get a 600 Monster or something. But like others have said start small and work your way up.

I hadnt riden for about 4 years and when I decided to get back on the bike I still opted for a ZZR250 as I wanted to build up my skills before getting something bigger. Having now upgraded to a CBR600RR I am glad that I did ride the ZZR for 18 months first.

As for the ZZR I could not fault it as a learner bike. It was even capable through the twisties, but I had to ring its neck. The GPX is just a cheaper version of the ZZR same engine. I have heard good reports about the VTRs too. On word of advise if you are going to be riding all year round you may want to look at something with fairings to offer some protection to the elements.
                      What would I know I am only an IT guy... should go and ask a mechanic

yeah well im here to sell a r6 not get a quote for one

Comment

I'm in the same kind of situation. I want to get a bike and a license around Christmas, and I'm looking for a street bike for less than $1500 that would be a good learner bike.
                        About the only thing I'm really looking for is one that looks good (like a ZZR250 or RS125).

I'm about the same height and weight as Newbie Biker as well. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
                        :w: :rotflol:
                        AND THE BAND WILL PLAY ON!!!

Comment

$1500 will buy you some decent gear.. then save up for a bike.

Comment

Yes, get some bloody gear first

A bike is replaceable ... you're not.

Comment

got that right.. took me a while to get hooked up with some real gear.. Japanese bikers are very relaxed about gear.. commuters never wear them..

now that i have some proper stuff i feel so naked without them on, i know ifi fall off theres a bigger chance ill get striaght up and laugh it off. One of my college students wasnt so fortunate, he had a spill on a naked 400cc and his whole body is full of cuts and scars, he looks like a zebra now, but lucky to be alive.
                              everytime you masterbate god kills a skyline.

Comment

I must admit I thought $1500 would be enough for gear... wasnt I wrong. oh and that was at the prices you get when you buy a new bike, about $500 off all up I think.

I hate to add up what I have spent on gear, and some of it is getting to the point of needing replacing.

I did however recently get a leather jacket :-) I couldnt say no to $200 off :-)
                                What would I know I am only an IT guy... should go and ask a mechanic

yeah well im here to sell a r6 not get a quote for one

Comment

Working...
                                X