Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A newbie wanting a bike

Just wondering I'am a beginner looking to go for my learners liscense.. I'm 23 and around 5'9" or 5'10" and weigh 70kg , just wanting advice on what bike to get and around the price range I would be looking at

Thanks

Originally posted by Newbie Biker
    Just wondering I'am a beginner looking to go for my learners liscense.. I'm 23 and around 5'9" or 5'10" and weigh 70kg , just wanting advice on what bike to get and around the price range I would be looking at

Thanks
    R1, ZX10??

Seriously tho, What type of bike are you interested in? Dirt bike/road bike.

What do you plan on doing with it? Would it be your daily transport?

Womble

Comment

A road bike and yes it would be daily transport

Comment

I wouldnt mind one of those but I doubt a learner is allowed one. 1996 KAWASAKI ZX7R NINJA

Comment

Go look at a VTR250 or something of that ilk, and flog it off after a year if you feel like you need something bigger.
          "I'm a stupid moron, with an ugly face, and a big butt, and my butt smells, and I like to kiss my own butt."

Comment

A secondhand GPX250 is a good place to start. Everyone I know with a babyblade (CBR250R) or RGV250 has crashed. A GPX250 will have the get-around you're looking for, and keep you out of trouble. Expect to pay over $2,000 for a second hand one up to $4,000, or about $6,000 new.

Comment

Is that a kawasaki ninja the GPX250?

Comment

A VTR250 engine is based on the original VT250 engine. I went through 3 of those engines from simple normal riding. I don't believe Honda got it right in the end, but they had a problem with spinning bearings or breaking the "Y" valve rockers. For the money the GPX is a good place to start.

Comment

Originally posted by Newbie Biker
                  Is that a kawasaki ninja the GPX250?
                  No, thats the ZXR250. Haven't heard much about them. But I'd put that bike in the same category as the babyblades ... too much for little experience.

Comment

Late GPX's have ninja written on them too.
                    http://www.larryscustomcycles.com.au

Comment

An R1 or ZX10 will have you in hospital within 10 minutes... and a ZXR750 will have you in hospital as soon as you try to go around a corner (they're heeeeeeeeeeeavy and if you're only 70kg with no experience you'll really struggle).

Matey, get something cheap and little - either a GPX250 or ZZR250. Type either of those two names into google and they will bring up pics, then type either one into www.tradingpost.com.au and they'll bring up prices. Perhaps with your height you should consider something bigger like a GS500 or ER5 to be comfortable, but certainly nothing bigger or more powerful. You may well be able to ride something bigger than that but you won't learn how to ride properly on a big bike... and any lessons you learn will be learned the hard way.

Then, do your 'time' on it and upgrade to something 600-ish for a while... then get whatever you want.
                      Originally posted by 350stato
                      100% agree with Shifty

Comment

For what its worth, Im a dirt bike fan of ~13 years experience. The other day I got on a mates 10 week old Honda CRF450R (motocross 450 thumper). I dont know if its my lack of big sports bike experience, but fark me, it was fast, easily the fastest machine Ive ever driven. It could lift the front wheel pretty much whenever I cracked full throttle... on dirt. I got to ride it around for about an hour through numerous bush tracks, over some jumps and a bit of higher speed non-sealed dirt road stuff. It became pretty obvious to me that it was more than powerful and fast enough to satisfy my current and forseeable future riding needs, not to mention it could spit me off and kill me at the drop of a hat if I wasnt careful. I can only imagine how brutally fast an R1 would be. To all these idiots that think they need an R1 to go fast, I can only wish you the best of luck.

The result of my ride on the CRF450? Finances permitting, Ill be riding a used WR400 soon.

Comment

I tend to agree - these things are track (or open road) toys and probably shouldn't be anything more. Even my 21-year-old GPZ had 115hp and was capable of over 240km/h... much more than that is just silly!
                          Originally posted by 350stato
                          100% agree with Shifty

Comment

dsmith, a new 400 traily is a monster...very cool bits of gear. litre sports bikes are the same...they do virtually the same thing as the traily but 100kph faster. So the 400 will stand on the back wheel in 3rd at 50kph, the thou will do it in 3rd at 150kph.

Oh, you can jump the traily much better but from the footage I saw the other night of the Isle of Man...no one told those guys not to jump road bikes.
                            http://www.larryscustomcycles.com.au

Comment

What sort of kilometres should the bike still be okay at, they dont last as long as cars do they?

Comment

Working...
                              X