Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IPRA Mazda RX-7

My old girl has her first start in the new owners hands this coming weekend at Eastern Creek. I'm going to watch and will be disappointed if he gets anywhere near my best time... :D

I bought the car in early 2002 as a clapped out ex "Ian Luff Motorvation" drive day car. It had a very average bolt in cage, poxy 12A bridgeport, road 'box and fooly sick single spinnah diff.

We added a cheap respray, a set of B45 Simmons with new A032R's (205/60/15's as per class regs), a 13B bridgeport made out of scraps found on the workshop floor at Mazsport and a Supra 'box.

The car debuted at Wakefield Park for some very average times. It was the first time i'd driven the car (ever !!) and a farked starter motor meant i missed qualifying. Great weekend. Ended up finishing all 3 races though, and eventually got into the 1.12's (just !!) in the last race.

Did a few mods the following year, including adding injection to the junker, better brakes, some camber, and a close ratio Needham 'box to go with the new much flashier paint scheme. Did a 1.20.1 at Oran Park GP in that spec, and mid 9's at Wakefield.

Then decided to go all out and had a race bridgey built, once again by Bill Nabhan at Mazsport Seven Hills. It made an easy 248 hp at the tyres at 9,500rpm and saw as high as 260hp using another 1,300 revs...

For reliability we set the limiter at 9,500rpm for Oran and Wakefield, and 9,800rpm at Eastern Creek. The thing was an animal with the new engine and used to blow the tyres off coming out of 3rd gear corners (remember we still had to run 205 60 series tyres) - so some major work went into the suspension, yet again bigger brakes, custom billet strut tops, comprehensive welded and crossbraced roll cage, PPG dogbox, etc etc.

By now i was fed up with spending money and took a year off to recover financially. A couple of track days saw mid 8's at Wakefield and 18's at Oran Park GP, the thing was a weapon.

I ended up selling last year as my girlfriend and i bought a business and had to concentrate on the start up and establishment of the business. I kind of miss it now and in some ways wish i had just kept it under a cover for a few years, but what the hell. At least i'm not tempted to race and spend crazy amounts of cash anymore...

There's plenty of videos with the car here -
    http://www.grumpe.com.au/ipra-video.htm

Specs -

Mazda RX7 Series 2

* Mazsport 13B Bridgeport (248rwhp@9,500rpm)
    * Pfitzner "PPG" 5 Speed dogbox
    * Factory Mazda LSD, 5.1:1
    * MicroTech LT10 ECU
    * Graphic Skills Racing (Phil Laird) quad throttle injection
    * PWR Alloy Radiator & Oil Cooler
    * Bilstein Shocks Front & Rear
    * Custom Rev Doctor Suspension
    * 15x7 ROH Reflex Wheels, Yokohama Advans 205/60/15
    * Custom Mazsport Exhaust System
    * Mazda Series 6 Brakes
    * 295mm DBA 4000 Series Rotors
    * SPARCO Pro 2000 seat
    * Willans 5 pt harness
    * Mazsport / Pro Racing adjustable Watts Linkage Rear end
    * Pro Racing cross braced roll cage
    * Rev Doctor Steering components

Huge thanks to Bill Nabhan at Mazsport Seven Hills, Scott Fleming at Rev Doctor Motorsport Hornsby, and my "crew" of Pete Harmston, Jason Priestley and Mick Posa. Couldn't have done it without those guys, and given my complete lack of mechanical ability i was grateful to have such good mates to help out !!

Cheers,
    Paul...
    The older i get, the better i was...

That's fucking tough.

Comment

Looks awesome Paul!

I know your a bit dissapointed to let it go, but at least you can say you've done it. Not like a lot of other people who just wish and never take the leap of faith...
      Social media marketing for the automotive industry (plus a motorsport blog) - www.boxthislap.com.au

Comment

thats awesome! 1:08 is a great time around wakefield.
        Originally posted by The Property Guru
        don't haemophrodites generally have tiny wangs?
        Originally posted by oxy
        No, that's asians
        A80 Supra
        80 Landcruiser

Comment

Paul I have always loved your work with that car. so nicely presented!

I intended to build one of these IPRA Rx7s with my S2 after seeing yours......... some how I lost the plot???????
          Toys List
          1933 34ft Williams Timber Cruiser
          1951 Ariel Red Hunter 500cc
          1973 Honda CB250 Cafe Racer
          1977 Honda CB550 Cafe Racer
          1979 Mazda S1 Rx-7 12abp
          1980 Maico 440
          1981 Mazda S2 Rx-7 20bt
          1983 Mazda S2 Rx7 GT Sport Sedan
          1983 Honda CR480
          1989 Honda CR500
          1997 Mazda S7 Rx-7 13btt
          1998 3.2m Aussie Whaler - 40hp Mercury
          1999 KTM 250 Team Castrol Factory Race bike
          2005 Holden Rodeo Diesel Hauler
          2006 Husqvarna TE450

Comment

Originally posted by FatBoy

We added a cheap respray
            Read: Free
            Dont: Mention it....

:D

Comment

That bites to have to watch someone else race it. But I suppose it's better that it's being used than lingering around not being enjoyed.

I've watched all those vids and a higher res one I got somewhere before and they are awesome. We film all our incar and are going to start filming more silly buggers around the pits ect. You've inspired us to make a compilation at the end of the season.

Cal.
              The most dangerous risk of all - the risk of spending your life not doing what you want, on the bet you can buy yourself the freedom to do it later. - Randy Komisar.

Comment

Originally posted by Cal
                That bites to have to watch someone else race it. But I suppose it's better that it's being used than lingering around not being enjoyed.
                As a "consolation" his best lap was more than 7 seconds slower around EC than me, and up to 11 secs in some races. I watched one race from a distance and couldn't believe it. The car could have easily finished 4th or 5th last weekend, and was struggling around down the back of the pack...

Originally posted by Cal
                I've watched all those vids and a higher res one I got somewhere before and they are awesome. We film all our incar and are going to start filming more silly buggers around the pits ect. You've inspired us to make a compilation at the end of the season.
                Cheers mate. Please do it, and make sure you post the results !!
                Unfortunately my mates computer crashed and we lost a LOT of saved footage. In summer we will grab some more go karting, dirtbike riding and water ski-ing etc and throw them into the mix... They will be great to look back on in a few years when we are old farts...

Originally posted by TOWIE
                Read: Free
                Dont: Mention it....
                Actually, i paid a $1500 for the first respray Danny...

I should have added TOWIE to my thanks list actually, he dragged it around pretty regularly at mates rates, and even let it sleep at his house a few times...

He also teed up the deal with Coopers Smash at Penrith which led to me and Pete running the Coopers logo for 2 years when we both went blue and orange... (I've attached a pic of the Coopers livery to this thread)

Thanks Danny !! :D

Originally posted by bernie-rx7
                Paul I have always loved your work with that car. so nicely presented!

I intended to build one of these IPRA Rx7s with my S2 after seeing yours......... some how I lost the plot???????
                Ta Bernie, i long ago realised i didn't have quite enough cash (or talent !! :p ) to win races so i figured i'd at least try to make it look pretty...

Originally posted by MR-PUNNANY
                thats awesome! 1:08 is a great time around wakefield.
                Yeah, it's moving along ok with tyres we had to run i guess... I reckon it had maybe a high 7 in it actually, but didn't get the chance to prove it. If a mate of mine had had a steer (he won the State and National IPRA titles last year) he'd have done 7's all day everyday...

Originally posted by XAC15T
                Looks awesome Paul!

I know your a bit dissapointed to let it go, but at least you can say you've done it. Not like a lot of other people who just wish and never take the leap of faith...
                Thanks Ryan, much appreciated mate...

It was one hell of a ride and great fun while it lasted !! I had a ball and learnt a lot along the way, and the memories will last forever. In the end other priorities took over but i keep saying i'll never do it again, too expensive etc. But i think i'm lying... :D

Originally posted by Rotor7
                That's fucking tough.
                Thanks buddy...

Comment

Actually, i paid a $1500 for the first respray Danny...

I should have added TOWIE to my thanks list actually, he dragged it around pretty regularly at mates rates, and even let it sleep at his house a few times...

He also teed up the deal with Coopers Smash at Penrith which led to me and Pete running the Coopers logo for 2 years when we both went blue and orange... (I've attached a pic of the Coopers livery to this thread)

Thanks Danny !! :D
                  Was it painted before Coopers??? I thought Pete's was & yours was white & Series 1...

Long time ago though...

Comment

Mine was silver, and i had it painted orange before Emu Smash did the back half in blue and whacked on some gold B45's. Pete's was always blue, and he added orange to the back half, we ran in "reversed colours" the first season...

Then you got the Coopers guy on board and we made them identical, added flares and front bars, same ROH Reflex rims etc. And yeah, mine was a S1 that we updated to S2 at the same time.

Your memory is getting hazy mate...

Comment

It was/is a good looking car. Although I was always amazed at the lack of cage in the IPRA cars... but then, you don't have trees to contend with.

Hope things go good for you in the near future. I want to see an LS1 VL/VR/VT IPRA car...
                      Right now I'm eating scrambled egg. With a comb! Out of a shoe!

Comment

Cheers fro, the cage you saw at Wakefield (and Oran too i think ??) was a bare minimum mate - a throwback to the days when an alloy half cage was acceptable... After my crash at Wakefield i put in a decent cage which i don't think you ever saw ??

Pics attached...

Comment

Oh, and as for the future, who knows mate...

Would definetly love to do it again but the costs at the moment are crazy. I couldn't build a competitive LS1 VK to VS for under 60k, and probably 80 to 100k for a VT / VZ...

It'd be a hell of a lot cheaper to be a proven well developed RX-7 andgo that way, but my knuckle dragging roots are hard to ignore. In a few years when i'm finished the new house and settled, who knows ??

Cheers,
                          Paul...

Comment

Cheers fro, the cage you saw at Wakefield (and Oran too i think ??) was a bare minimum mate - a throwback to the days when an alloy half cage was acceptable... After my crash at Wakefield i put in a decent cage which i don't think you ever saw ??
                            Well, the cage in those pics is crap-loads better than the one I remember, so I mustn't have seen it after the upgrade.

How's the go-kart going?
                            Right now I'm eating scrambled egg. With a comb! Out of a shoe!

Comment

Don't ask mate !!

The kart is awesome fun, but has seen bugger all track time lately. Have been flat out with work and doing either reno, boating or family stuff on weekends. And the farking trailer is always full of trees, old carpet, broken up concrete paths etc so i can't take it out even when i feel like having a run...

Comment

Working...
                              X