Announcement

Collapse

All new PerformanceForums is here

The long-awaited upgrade and server move is complete.

Whinge about shit HERE.

Looking for Tapatalk functionality? See this thread.
See more
See less

Bluey MX5 Race Car

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I haven't been racing my car much this year. I've been driving Tony Bonanno's 2B turbo in the Prod Sports 1hr series. Here is a shot I took of the car in the pits at Eastern Creek. Do any of you photoshop gurus know how to clean up the colours? It was shot on film and scanned.

The most dangerous risk of all - the risk of spending your life not doing what you want, on the bet you can buy yourself the freedom to do it later. - Randy Komisar.

Comment

Yep, noticed your car for sale on cartalk. Pity for me its so expensive (read: good).

Comment

I mean, nope I don't know how to clean up the colours.

Comment

Originally posted by stb View Post
          Yep, noticed your car for sale on cartalk. Pity for me its so expensive (read: good).
          It's not really for sale. I found a turbo I thought about buying and thought I'd go fishing for a buyer. If I got my money I would have sold it, but nobody is buying race cars at the minute. I will pull the ad soon.
          The most dangerous risk of all - the risk of spending your life not doing what you want, on the bet you can buy yourself the freedom to do it later. - Randy Komisar.

Comment

Yours is a bloody nice car Cal - what sort of dollars are you chasing ?

It'd have to be one of the sweetest 2F cars out there surely ?
            The older i get, the better i was...

Comment

Cheers Paul. I put $25K on it. Tony B sold his 2F car recently for that price. It had pretty much the same gear as mine and was also an Australian delivered road registered car. That was attractive to the guy who bought it.

Comment

It makes sense having them regoed i guess ? 25k isn't unreasonable given the bang for buck...

So the lure of a turbo car is getting stronger i take it ? :)
                The older i get, the better i was...

Comment

I made the offer over the weekend and we will seal the deal today.

Comment

So you're doing a deal on the turbo car today?

Who's is it, Brians, Raddatzs, Whitakers? :)

Hope you got a good contact for gearboxes, I think Tony's out of them

Have you sold your car? Had any enquireis?
                    2015 Skoda Octavia RS162TSI
                    2004 MX5 SE Turbo
                    2016 Toyota 86 GTS (No Pics)

Comment

It's now done. Brian's car. Tony and I went halves. I'll be keeping mine now. :)

Comment

Good stuff.

Never really had a good look at Brians car when it was up here, but it seemed to go ok :)
                        2015 Skoda Octavia RS162TSI
                        2004 MX5 SE Turbo
                        2016 Toyota 86 GTS (No Pics)

Comment

Can't afford this and the turbo. For sale: http://www.performanceforums.com/for...php?t=67246611

Comment

Awesome read Cal - I've really enjoyed trolling through the last 4 pages of your progression.

You have inspired my thinking to look into an MX5 instead of AE86 for my track hack to build (even if they are gayer than aids - read that in here somewhere) I'm not looking to race at the level you are - just a weekend occasional bash
                            It would be strange for me to own one however - the wife had one for a few years and I've always associated them as a womans car :) I remember it being well balanced - just gutless (hers was stock 1.6). I took it to Mt Cotton a few times.

So realistically what is the bare minimum spec to go sprint racing to start with - and Gatton/Leyburn etc? To be half decent?

I'm guessing in order:

Wheels and Tyres
                            Coilovers
                            Brakes
                            Swaybars
                            Exhaust
                            rebuilt motor - but to what spec and level?
                            Aftermarket ECU and hardware to match
                            cage
                            coolers

Anything else?

And the how long is a piece of string - $$ for each?

I plan to be a slow project for me and am looking to buy a straight road car and have a play at a few sprint days then take it off the road and strip it in the shed and have the above done in stages. I want it to stay regoed

Its obviously better to find a 1.8ltr to start with? Any hints, or known examples?

Cheers
                            Pete
                            'Lifes pretty straight without twisties' ;)

Comment

1.8's have the bigger brakes but can do a conversion for 1.6's easy

if you buy a 1.6L say anywhere from 6k - put in a bonds roll bar or something, suspension (up to 2k for ok coilovers or springs and shocks and 4k for really good coilovers)

get the 1.8L brakes

exhaust and intake will set you back say maybe 1500

seat a few houndred and harness

lots of stuff out there second hand and on ebay!

that would be a fun car for track days, however to be at the pointy end of supersprints you'd need cams, ECU and maybe some headwork - even a good rebuild - would cost anywhere from 5k to 10k.
                              www.unigroup.com.au

Originally posted by niSSSan
                              works for me as the first few years of monthly pay was hookers and coke for the first week, then 3 weeks of jerking off and water...

Comment

Originally posted by evil_weevil View Post
                                up to 2k for ok coilovers or springs and shocks and 4k for good coilovers
                                Fixed.
                                Really good shocks are in the $1500 a corner up bracket...
                                "Where can we get hold of a Vincent Black Shadow?" "Whats that?" "A fantastic bike," I said. "The new model is something like two thousand cubic inches, developing two hundred brake-horsepower at four thousand revolutions per minute on a magnesium frame with two styrofoam seats and a total curb weight of exactly two hundred pounds."

Comment

Working...
                                X