• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

looks great, good see 8's set up for circuit fun

Comment

Looking good mate!

Good to see something different with the Carb LS1 -
      Also good to see a VL that is getting used for a purpose rather than just bling and chromies and all the usual shit people put on them.
      Originally posted by tandy ass
      Got a 97 cielo for free (I think i got ripped off)

Comment

Flopper , its going to carby to start off with as i have a 650dp i can start of with with and see how it goes . It really would like a HP holley 750 but depends on how it runs with carby to start of with , if its a real shitta ill fit a similiar set up too uncles project tonner which is the 4 barrel style throttle body if it runs fine ill go the HP holley .

adam
        Sandown 1.23.31
        Calder 1.05.76
        Phillip Island 1.47.95
        Winton 1.33.30
        H/Hills hill climb 1.03.3(FG XR6T)
        Bathurst 2.47.49

Comment

Looking great Adam keep up the good work. Those other Commodores in your videos are going to have to play catchup.

Damian.

Comment

Spent some time dummying up the engine to just see what fits and what doesnt , its actually not a bad fit . The sway bar , crossmember and steering rack all clear with some room to move but not much though about 2cm either way .

engine bay pics

The plan is to sit the engine as close to the firwall as possible , i can chop out a little of the crossmember if required to gain maybe 2cm .

Engine mounts will be started tommorrow , it doesnt look to difficult but will be time consuming . Im just going to tack them up and get budge to weld / fold something up for me , he will make a template im hoping so we can make more if their is a demand as their is no kit for the VL --- > ls1 atm .

Dale from Castle Hill Exhaust modified the loom to ignition only , turned off all the safety's and supplied it all tagged and ready to go . Its a great job and i will highly recommend his services as everyone who's seen the loom has been impressed .

He also supplied the rip shifter ( i think of the 9 sec monster! ) and mentioned by reversing the "stick" it will put it in the ball park for the VL body . It required a little welding to turn around but is very easy . Dale even offered to modify it if i couldnt do it ! .

Ive got a starter conversion kit from Mal Wood on the way , the standard LS1 starter will clear however their isnt any room to run the extractors and its superclose to the rack anyway .

After looking at a range of clutches and being a little shocked at the prices ( upto $1700 for a single plate kit ) i figured due to my car being 400 odd kg's lighter than a VE and not doing burnouts a std holden clutch kit should be fine ( im running the std cam for a while) , its was cheap , has everything i need and if i cant hold on its no major loss .

Next is engine and gearbox mounts , modifications to the trans tunnel to fit the T56 which has proven to be a bit of a headache and the usual conversion problems that pop up .

adam
            Sandown 1.23.31
            Calder 1.05.76
            Phillip Island 1.47.95
            Winton 1.33.30
            Bathurst 2.47.49

Comment

nice stuff dude
              im a cunt
              and apparently i dont know shit...

Comment

looks tops!!
                fark there really is no room for the zorst pics of the starter kit when it arrives?

What wheels are you running BTW?
                Turns out, far too much has been written about great men and not nearly enough about morons

Originally posted by seedyrom
                my neighbours called the cops...... not because of the sound of me working in the garage was too loud, but because i taped a cardboard box to my back, covered my self in vaseline and pretended i was a snail on their lawn

Comment

Could you have cut the guards and put the exhaust through them? or is that not allowed in circuit racing? Probably would have cost more to do properly anyway though.
                  Originally posted by tandy ass
                  Got a 97 cielo for free (I think i got ripped off)

Comment

Starter conversion has arrived , photo's taken . I went the mal wood version , its not really much in the kit . Gear reduction starter with brackets to suit , laser cut 6 mm steel plate and longer bolts and dowells . As with everything "clearencing" is required but i was surprised that the bell housing needs to be cut a fair bit as their is really no room . When i mean cut i mean that the starter gear will be visable from out side the box , i might be able to squeeze it in but we are talking under a mm of clearence.

As for exhaust , no chance on the VL body ( goes for VN too jim ) . I did see a VS track car on the weekend who left the starter in the factory position and squeezed some 4-2-1's in what ever gap was left , it was a great job but he made the pipes himself and spent about 2 weeks on the drivers side .

Out in front , its the rail that needs to be moved about an inch for enough room , cant really go through the guards as its not practical.

Jim wheels are now ROH 17 x 8's with a +45 off set , not light but compared to HSV stuff about 4 kg's a rim less. If you stick to 16's go the original walky's as the very light and clear the 330mm rotors and 2 pot calipers.

ps . Box is in , engine mounts complete and ive got some handy tricks and tips to pass on . Makes mounting the engine way to easy and gearbox fitting with little drama's

adam
                    Sandown 1.23.31
                    Calder 1.05.76
                    Phillip Island 1.47.95
                    Winton 1.33.30
                    Bathurst 2.47.49

Comment

Managed to spend some time on it over the last couple of days and have knocked up and modified the engine and gearbox mounts , clearences are tight and after speaking to mal wood auto driveline angles are critical if you want the extension housing seal to not chew up in the gearbox in a matter of km's .

Engine mounts are pretty simple , just had a new plate cut by budge and modified the original VL V8 engine mount to suit . Engine is mounted as low and as far back as possible to the sump / cross member ( about 1 cm clearence all round) .

Gearbox needs some mods to get to fit , firstly remove ALL and i mean ALL casting bungs / mounts from the gearbox casing

This pic is missing another 5 pieces

The gearbox mount is a 6 cyl VL mount with the mount removed from the x member and two holes drilled to accept the T56 mount which uses the 2nd set of locating holes . Pics to come.

Mal Wood starter conversion

A bit of clearencing is required to get the plate to fit cleanly but nothing major , however clearing the starter gear is another matter.

As you can see a section of the bell housing needs to be removed and this was confirmed by mal wood after purchasing the kit . I dont know if the CRS kit needs the same mofication but worth checking.

Gear shifter is spot on , no issues here and the a std tailshaft from a trimatic VL fits perfect with NO mods .

The trans tunnel on the VL WILL accept the T56 without cutting , however the reverse lock out soleniod needs clearencing of about 1 cm to not foul the tunnel . It is a very very tight fit which requires the clutch lines to be replaced and re routed with some braided line. As a guide the bottom two rear gearbox casing bolts should be in line with the sill(sp?) panel under the car , the box is hanging to low if you can see them

Shifter position in car .

adam
                      Sandown 1.23.31
                      Calder 1.05.76
                      Phillip Island 1.47.95
                      Winton 1.33.30
                      Bathurst 2.47.49

Comment

excellent work!
                        What was the starter kit worth? I had another look at mine today and can see there's no real choice.
                        Turns out, far too much has been written about great men and not nearly enough about morons

Originally posted by seedyrom
                        my neighbours called the cops...... not because of the sound of me working in the garage was too loud, but because i taped a cardboard box to my back, covered my self in vaseline and pretended i was a snail on their lawn

Comment

Updates !! . No its not running yet , but i have some shiney new parts .

Ive been dealing a bit with high enrgy regarding a circuit spec sump and as they are keen to fit their new LS1 sump into the older shape commo's a deal was struck up for some R & D .

New sump and old sump

baffle and trap doors

side pic

The shear size of the sump extension had me worried as the std sump is a nice tight fit but didnt leave a whole lot of room for a larger unit and sure enough it foweled on the x members where the supports are so i gave it a little clearencing .

Next on the list was the extractors , as i mentioned before they are an off the shelf item and i decided to go the 4-2-1's as space is so tight as much room is required as possible.

With these pipes you have to relocate the starter motor as its in the way , ive now seen one done in a VS with leaving the factory starter and custom making extractors but at close to 3K its cheaper to just go with the conversion way .

Next is final fitting and adjusting and then start on fuel / ignition etc.

adam
                          Sandown 1.23.31
                          Calder 1.05.76
                          Phillip Island 1.47.95
                          Winton 1.33.30
                          Bathurst 2.47.49

Comment

Adam - Is that white rolla yours too? If so, LOL at it cocking a leg last weekend on the 1st/2nd corner!

S
                            Have you heard??

Comment

Sean i saw you last week but you drove off before i came to say hi ! , The rolla is my mates as we double entered , i managed a decent 1.01.3 in the little thing 1st in class .

adam
                              Sandown 1.23.31
                              Calder 1.05.76
                              Phillip Island 1.47.95
                              Winton 1.33.30
                              Bathurst 2.47.49

Comment

Originally posted by adamRSLC View Post

ive now seen one done in a VS with leaving the factory starter and custom making extractors but at close to 3K its cheaper to just go with the conversion way .

adam
                                Any pics of the VS?

Jim, when you read this, I'll do your extractors for under $2,500
                                I own a two and a half litre Commodore

Comment

Working...
                                X