Announcement

Collapse

All new PerformanceForums is here

The long-awaited upgrade and server move is complete.

Whinge about shit HERE.

Looking for Tapatalk functionality? See this thread.
See more
See less

VL street/circuit

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you have big power then a rear bar can help in a straight line as it will want to pick up the passenger side of the car more then the drivers side, stabilitly will be much better with soft drag tryes and big hp with the bar on then off. Look at how much was spent on the sway bar for the CHE Commodore for an example. :)

adam, have you been adding up the costs for the conversion at all? I'd be interested in knowing what the total cost was.

Comment

Ive got it costed pretty much to the cent , ill have a look what im up too but bare in mind my car is soon to be deregistered and not driven on the road so i can get away with a few "legal" requirements which save a fair bit of the folding stuff.

Its been built on a budget and 90% of it was able to be done at home with basic tools , its a very easy fit into an early commodore as major things like extractors , starter conversion is off the shelf and dont forget CHE who can sort out the electrical side with no problems either.

adam
      Sandown 1.23.31
      Calder 1.05.76
      Phillip Island 1.47.95
      Winton 1.33.30
      H/Hills hill climb 1.03.3(FG XR6T)
      Bathurst 2.47.49

Comment

Originally posted by HoonBoy View Post
        Look at how much was spent on the sway bar for the CHE Commodore for an example. :)
        in its old state there was no sway bars front or rear...

the new rear one is costing about $850.... and there still wont be one on the front!
        im a cunt
        and apparently i dont know shit...

Comment

so what is the reason for a sway bar on a drag car? something to do with torsional loads through the diff?
          Tow car/camping bus: 2011 D40 Navara ST

Baby mobile: 2016 Nissan Qashqai

75 Mini Clubman club racer - DCOE powah

Comment

stop it twisting in the back end,
            im a cunt

Comment

cool makes sense
              Tow car/camping bus: 2011 D40 Navara ST

Baby mobile: 2016 Nissan Qashqai

75 Mini Clubman club racer - DCOE powah

Comment

Originally posted by adamRSLC View Post
                Ive got it costed pretty much to the cent , ill have a look what im up too but bare in mind my car is soon to be deregistered and not driven on the road so i can get away with a few "legal" requirements which save a fair bit of the folding stuff.

Its been built on a budget and 90% of it was able to be done at home with basic tools , its a very easy fit into an early commodore as major things like extractors , starter conversion is off the shelf and dont forget CHE who can sort out the electrical side with no problems either.

adam
                I have four cars, only one is registered and that is the way they are staying, I give no fark for rego! It's more a curiosity question anyway, I don't have the time or money to put one in anything at the moment.

Comment

Finished setting up the TPS switch and the difference is impressive , engines like timing!! .

Another big thanks to dale (castlehillexhaust) for some questions answered on saturday regarding the TPS . The switch is from a 2.6 magna and is faily compact 3 wire switch which isnt hard to adapt to the Holley carby , quickly set it to read .50 amp on idle and away we go .

Quick spin around the block and while it doesnt turn the tyres of idle like the old 5.0 it really gets going up top and loves a rev . Its strong(ish) low in the rev range for a LS1 but thats due to the VL waying stuff all , should be around 1190kg when finished. Its also very responsive with the carb , revs up quicker than the EFI version does .

Finished , but fuel lines will be re made this week for more clearence .

finished car , looks road legal kinda

Things to complete before dyno .

Ive had to re wire the thermos as its a negative trigger from the computer so still need to check if it works.

Car doesnt want to idle for over 30 secs , it just dies slowly . Its timing related and ive adjusted the TPS correctly so ill have a look on the dyno using VCM suite to see whats the biz.

Ive also managed to fry the alternator by accident , dam. I unplugged the wire that tells the dash light their isnt any voltage and it must have earthed on the body so alternater isnt charging and no dash light at all . Most likely the regulator .

adam
                  Sandown 1.23.31
                  Calder 1.05.76
                  Phillip Island 1.47.95
                  Winton 1.33.30
                  Bathurst 2.47.49

Comment

nice work mate

when it is slowly dieing if you crack the throttle does it rev up and then go back to idle again??

if so i would suggest putting a little more fuel in the idle, just wind the idle bleed screws in a full turn on each side and see if it idles for longer
                    im a cunt

Comment

And trim the tps bracket down man! Aluminium has a similar density to concrete :D

Comment

Originally posted by 10sec_rx7 View Post
                        nice work mate

when it is slowly dieing if you crack the throttle does it rev up and then go back to idle again??

if so i would suggest putting a little more fuel in the idle, just wind the idle bleed screws in a full turn on each side and see if it idles for longer
                        Yep , spot on dale I figured it was either too much/ not enough fuel and will have a little play on the weekend.

Muz , 4mm alloy plate was all i had lying around :) .

adam
                        Sandown 1.23.31
                        Calder 1.05.76
                        Phillip Island 1.47.95
                        Winton 1.33.30
                        Bathurst 2.47.49

Comment

lookin' the goods now!

Where does the motor sit in relation to the centre of the strut towers? It's a little hard to tell in the pics, but it looks like the strut centre is in line with the 2nd rearmost coils? I managed to get mine back so the motor is pretty much centre to the struts.
                          Turns out, far too much has been written about great men and not nearly enough about morons

Originally posted by seedyrom
                          my neighbours called the cops...... not because of the sound of me working in the garage was too loud, but because i taped a cardboard box to my back, covered my self in vaseline and pretended i was a snail on their lawn

Comment

Yeah , 2nd rear most coil pack . I would have liked to do it more like your car as you have really got it back to the firewall , ultimately though the more you move it back the more it costs . Custom sump , custom extractors , tailshaft mods along with transmission housing "clearencing" , it all adds up .

adam
                            Sandown 1.23.31
                            Calder 1.05.76
                            Phillip Island 1.47.95
                            Winton 1.33.30
                            Bathurst 2.47.49

Comment

Looking good man, before you spend too much time sorting the jetting you gotta cut that choke horn off the carb.
                              A hacksaw will do, but it should preferably be blended & smoothed into the carb top & throats - it's worth HP & response.

Comment

Thats on the list tony , i just wanted to check on if i could still get away with the 650DP on the std LS1 motor or if bigger was required. I must say it feels very crispy even as is compared to an EFI set up . Driving my mates VX malloo compared to this car is chalk and cheese , 500 odd missing kg's will do that though .

adam
                                Sandown 1.23.31
                                Calder 1.05.76
                                Phillip Island 1.47.95
                                Winton 1.33.30
                                Bathurst 2.47.49

Comment

Working...
                                X