Announcement

Collapse

All new PerformanceForums is here

The long-awaited upgrade and server move is complete.

Whinge about shit HERE.

Looking for Tapatalk functionality? See this thread.
See more
See less

VL street/circuit

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

VL street/circuit

Since ive been on this forum for a while now its about time i posted up pics of the mighty non swedish VL . I bought it as a completely std VL exec 5ltr auto and over the last 7 years have been hitting all of the vic tracks and its now at the point where its not really a street car ( its still rego'd) and is driven only to the track and back . Its always been a budget track car but over the last year its had a few upgrades and times are now a bit quicker than when i started , sandown and winton are now 8 secs a lap quicker!! .
    Pic as i bought it for 3k

First mods included a 5 speed supra conversion using a VC V8 pedal box and a little massaging of the firewall ( its now on its 4th supra 5sp) , 2nd hand pedders shocks/springs , HDT extractors ( to suit a manual ) , sway bar upgrade and a 3.45 ratio LSD and quick spin on the dyno pumped a healthy 93rwkw :). Also upgraded the brakes to twin spot corvette calipers and 330mm rotors .

The car stayed like this for a couple of years as i just waited for the engine to die , little upgrades included better off set 16's ( always running on R888's) HDT cold air crap , strut brace etc.

Next was the engine rebuild :)

Full rebuild with the usual reliability add ons
    Ported VL heads , crane rollers , crane solid 272 cam , smoothed valley , performer manifold , holley 650dp , bigger extractors/zorst , acl's new oil pump etc. Made a solid 210 rwkw.

That one lasted a year before oil starvation at PI due to incorrect sump :( , it was rebuilt and lasted 3 events before spinning a bearing . This is where TK and PF came to the rescue and advised on bearing clearences , drain backs , high volume oil pump etc . Ive learnt a heap about making a 304 live now even though its not a healthy engine atm it will get me untill mid year i hope when i do another full rebuild but this time its getting shipped to adelaide to knights race engines ( hi Tony :) ) where hes already adviced to throw away the VL heads , get a torker manifold( check) and let him do the rest .

Pics in action

output

ive got more pics of fuel system , shocks and other stuff ill add later

adam
    Sandown 1.23.31
    Calder 1.05.76
    Phillip Island 1.47.95
    Winton 1.33.30
    H/Hills hill climb 1.03.3(FG XR6T)
    Bathurst 2.47.49

Geee i bet thats fun to drive, by the pic i see you've discovered light arse lsd vl handling. Fun hey ;) Ive got a turbo vl and man it does that easy.
    Originally posted by Einstein
    The definition of insanity is repeating the same action and expecting a different result

Comment

Ive recently overhauled the entire fuel system from boot to engine having ditched the black carter pump and std fuel lines and installing a boot mounted surge tank to a barry grany pump with -8 lines to the carby and -10 returns to the tank .

I was able to install the new fuel log and return reg as one between carby and manifold

Also at the end of last year fitted bilsteins front and rear , using an idea HSVSUX emailed me firstly for the rear coilovers and then getting quadrant to make the fronts.

In action at winton

Sandown 1.23.31
      Calder 1.05.76
      Phillip Island 1.47.95
      Winton 1.33.30
      Bathurst 2.47.49

Comment

Looks very tidy. Looks like a BT1(police) pack, unless the 1" master cylinder was standard on VL 5.0 retail cars.

Comment

Well done Adam looks like a very neat car. It looks like you have some fun with the other Commodores at the wrx sprints.

Now I just have to finish my own Vh race car.

Comment

Thanks DJ , the cars mostly finished and just maintenece and little things to go . You building a proper "race" VH or just club stuff.

adam

Video of a good friend and myself at sandown last year .

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=2gfPIfDLru4
            Sandown 1.23.31
            Calder 1.05.76
            Phillip Island 1.47.95
            Winton 1.33.30
            Bathurst 2.47.49

Comment

nice and clean, :thumbsup:

Comment

Im building it to improved production specs but it will be a club car for a while until I get the skills and money up to race.

Comment

Few more mods in the works , have removed and sold most of the driveline and purchased some 2nd hand hotness .

Enter ex VX LS1 and six speed . Power steer / aircon removed . It was purchased without manifold / injection / loom .

Fitting one of these

Dale from CHE has supplied me with an ignition only loom which should arrive anyday now :) .

T56 is a big gearbox especially compared to the out going W57 supra box .

Supra weighed 48 kg's and T56 72 kg's but the flywheel used in the supra was the std holden 308 one and wieghed 15kg! . LS1 is far lighter so maybe only a 15kg difference at the end .

Next is sump / new clutch / starter conversion and extractors .

adam
                  Sandown 1.23.31
                  Calder 1.05.76
                  Phillip Island 1.47.95
                  Winton 1.33.30
                  Bathurst 2.47.49

Comment

Originally posted by adamRSLC View Post
                    Supra weighed 48 kg's and T56 72 kg's but the flywheel used in the supra was the std holden 308 one and wieghed 15kg!
                    I weighed my Top Loader the other week - 71kg with iron bellhousing and crossmember... Suprised the T56 is about the same alloy case and all.
                    "Where can we get hold of a Vincent Black Shadow?" "Whats that?" "A fantastic bike," I said. "The new model is something like two thousand cubic inches, developing two hundred brake-horsepower at four thousand revolutions per minute on a magnesium frame with two styrofoam seats and a total curb weight of exactly two hundred pounds."

Comment

Nice new purchase mate. How long before its in and running?
                      Originally posted by XXX19X
                      Shitbreak is the epitome of perfection.

Comment

excellent stuff! how are you going to go with the starter and the rack?
                        Turns out, far too much has been written about great men and not nearly enough about morons

Originally posted by seedyrom
                        my neighbours called the cops...... not because of the sound of me working in the garage was too loud, but because i taped a cardboard box to my back, covered my self in vaseline and pretended i was a snail on their lawn

Comment

Hey jim , starter isnt a problem clearing a manual rack there is a little room to move . No space at all to run the extractors though :( , i thought you could sneak them between the steering shaft and chassis rail , but no way ( maybe one 2 inch pipe if that) so starter has to be moved for extractor clearence . Going to purchase the mal wood kit for $800 ish .

Datzed , still a few months untill skids . Sorting out engine mounts atm , cross member mounts look easy as its nearly lined up already . Then just have to hand over some folding stuff to finish .

adam
                          Sandown 1.23.31
                          Calder 1.05.76
                          Phillip Island 1.47.95
                          Winton 1.33.30
                          Bathurst 2.47.49

Comment

Fucken top set of wheels dude.

Simple, thorough and effective.

Sean:)
                            Adjustable cam gears for 1FZ-FE now ready for sale - 10 degrees advance/10 degrees retard. Suitable for all variants of 1FZ-FE.

(adjustable scissor gear for changing separation angle between the intake and exhaust cams coming soon)

International sales welcome - PM me for pricing.

Comment

I agree with Supercrown, nice, clean and looks like a heap of fun. It looks like it will be even better in the coming months too

are you going to run a 4 barrel style throttle body or change it all over to a carb?

Comment

Working...
                              X