Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LB Lancer Track Car

This is my newest little project car that I have been working on. I want to get into some form of racing so needed a cheap car to build up. I have always liked the idea of a early RWD lancer or Galant with a 4G63. I came across a 1978 LB Lancer with a blown head that was going cheap, and it happens to work out that my Grandfather was the original owner many owners ago.

I will build it up inline with the IPRA rule book so I once I get it pretty well sorted I can start racing it.
    Like said I want to run a VR4 engine or later IV+ evo motor if the budget stretches nd probably bolt it up to a supra box and hilux diff.

Here are some pictures of where I am up to, I should have it painted pretty soon but am after some ideas on the paint scheme. I have some Ford rapid yellow off the XR8 falcooons (see colour painted in boot pic it didn't try so fluro) I was thinking of painting the bonnet black or putting some GT stripes on it to break up all the yellow any other idea?

B&N Performance Engineering - 4Bangers & Mash Racing
    1978 LB Lancer IPRA Car - In the making LB Lancer 4G63 IPRA Build - Now up and driving

awesome jackstand on wheel!
    Originally posted by Turbo Yoda
    I <3 Hamster

Comment

glossy primer finish is the new matt
      Jason Broadhurst

Someone once asked me if they could use my mower. I said "sure, so long as it doesn't leave my yard"

Comment

nice job. dont use a hilux diff, plenty of better options.
        get lead like a leader

Comment

I love the LB sedans! I rallied one for many years and have had bloody heaps of them. somethings to be aware of:

The left hand front guards and LB bonnets are rare as rocking horse shit, look after them the chances of finding more are slim.

the front chassis rail between radius rod mount and sub frame buckle and kink under hard braking or minor parking lot biffs and it fucks up the camber and alignment, even on stock cars. Check that the rail doesnt have a kink in it and if it does get it straightened up.
          Fit a 3 or 4mm flat plate under the sub frame and radius rod brackets to stiffen it. You dont want to make it too rigid as it's a crush point for crashes.

The other option is to use a galant crossmember and make adjustable lower control arms, as the galant uses A arms instead of radius rods.
          Turns out, far too much has been written about great men and not nearly enough about morons

Originally posted by seedyrom
          my neighbours called the cops...... not because of the sound of me working in the garage was too loud, but because i taped a cardboard box to my back, covered my self in vaseline and pretended i was a snail on their lawn

Comment

I've got a few guards for each side, they are slightly different between LA1, LA2 and LB but can be interchanged without too much hassle. Bonnets are damn hard to find, the rust out the frame at the front and by the time it can be seen it is too late.

That manual tunnel is tiny compared to my auto shell!

Comment

no1200 - What other diff options do you think I should look into? I was going for a hilux out of a 76ish model as it is only meant to be 30mm wider then the stock one and good gear centres are meant to be easy to find.

Jim - Do you have any pictures of the area you are talking about??
              1978 LB Lancer IPRA Car - In the making LB Lancer 4G63 IPRA Build - Now up and driving

Comment

Look at the chassis rails forward of the crossmember. there is not much holding them straight.

Comment

I know guys here are using like rx4 diffs or something, aparently heaps lighter then hilux etc
                  3D scanning
                  3D modelling
                  Structural certification
                  3 and 5 axis milling

Comment

Hilux diff is way to heavy, nephew runs a RX4 diff in his 2l 3sgte turbo IP car and hasnt had any problems. Better range of ratios also are available.

http://www.iprasa.mx.com.au/cars/15%20c_sharp.htm
                    SA IPRA cars 15, 51, 77 and 25
                    (Sharperto Racing)

http://www.iprasa.mx.com.au/

Comment

Hilux/Hiace diffs are very heavy, but you can get good ratios for them if you look hard enough and know how to read the toyota diff codes BUT they are more suited to high revving rotaries than piston motors (ie you can get well into the 4.xx and 5.xx ratio range, but usually only as two pinion open centres and I've yet to come across a decent non air locker LSD centre - the factory G series LSDs are rubbish)

RX-4 = you would want to get a 13b RX-4 diff as the 12A one isn't that tough, but what about a SIII RX-7 diff? disc brakes, easy to come by centres, LSD's available, pretty cheap and they are a 4x114.3 stud pattern,

I've got a hiace in my Mazda 1300. It's tough, its relatively easy to find bits for, the handbrake mechanism behind the drums is a prick of a thing though and it is heavy, they aren't as strong as a Ford 9 inch though, but they are lighter. Iht would probably have been better to get a Borg Warner diff and fit it with an LSD out of a falcon or something like that.

Nice project though!
                      Originally posted by Stix Z
                      i'm upset i lost that video of that aboriginal woman taking a dump on a train that was on youtube
                      Originally posted by Jim
                      Sorry, am late to this thread. I have been protesting against whitey oppressors all morning with my people. I shall serenade this thread with my didge until nash comes in and puts it all into perspective.

Comment

whatever diff you use will have to be narrowed to fit the lancer unless you're going to run 44gal drum flares.
                        Turns out, far too much has been written about great men and not nearly enough about morons

Originally posted by seedyrom
                        my neighbours called the cops...... not because of the sound of me working in the garage was too loud, but because i taped a cardboard box to my back, covered my self in vaseline and pretended i was a snail on their lawn

Comment

^ japanese 70's touring car flares FTMFW.
                          Originally posted by Stix Z
                          i'm upset i lost that video of that aboriginal woman taking a dump on a train that was on youtube
                          Originally posted by Jim
                          Sorry, am late to this thread. I have been protesting against whitey oppressors all morning with my people. I shall serenade this thread with my didge until nash comes in and puts it all into perspective.

Comment

sv_i I hadn't considered the SIII rx7 diff, does it run 28 spline axles like the RX4 diff? The 4x114.3 PCD and disc is good I assume the RX4 would be a 4x110 I haven't figured out what ratio I want to run in the diff I will have to find out what top speeds the guys are getting at mallala and work back from there, charged are you able to help me out on that one?

I just came across a set of flares on the net the rally guys ran on the lancers they only add 50mm each side, but that is all you are allowed to add anyway. I will measure up the current diff and see how close these diffs match up.

I finished painting the car tonight, the bugs love the yellow paint I was constantly picking them out each layer. I was considering rubbing the car back and buffing it up but it will probably get scratched and dented up.

The Quality Inspector checking the finish out

Comment

Looking good!

Why did you leave the back window in when everything else was stripped out?

Comment

Working...
                              X