Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alfa Romeo Alfetta GT - Group Sc Historic

1975 Alfetta GT logbooked for Group Sc Historic racing.

Bought it in 2004 from the second owner to run some supersprints, but it had been mucked around with a lot since the first owner had built the car - stuff like the rear springs had been changed, airbox removed, sidepipe ditched for a full exhaust (WTF?), GTV dashboard changed to a GTV6..... I ran this on and off for a few years until mid 07 which was my last track day.

With Dad's car needing a new engine, we made the decision to switch cars and move from an IPRA logbooked car to Historics which opens up some more opportunities.

What's been done prior to me buying it:
    2l engine with bigger cams, 45mm DCOE Webers with 75mm manifold extensions, extractors, 2inch exhaust system, vented discs and calipers off GTV6, Twin Spark Gearbox and LSD, GTV6 dashboard, 6point Bond steel bolt in cage with rear harness bar between the rear legs, LorBer 15x7 rims (redrilled from 4x100 down to 4x98 with steel inserts), cheap full respray and some A-pillar rust fixed.

Plan moving forward for 2010
    - swap head, cams, intake and exhaust from Dad's car to mine. Dad's head was done by Vin Sharp a few years back and the intake is all matched. Exhaust is Vin Sharp Extractors and 3inch pipe out the side.
    - swap suspension over... Bilstein front shocks, Koni Sport rears and stiffer rear springs. Current setup is Koni Sport fronts with shitty Koni Reds on the rear and some too -tall ride height rear springs. Front torsion bars will stay as they are the same as Dad's car and besides that, a bitch to change and get ride heights right.
    - increase front camber settings, only around 2deg negative atm
    - swap GTV dashboard back into the car to comply with Sc regs
    - swap 2L solid discs and calipers back on to comply with Sc regs (everyone's been running vented for years, now they tightened the rule back up!)
    - raise drivers side intrusion bar upwards for more/better impact protection
    - mount window net and dad's raceseat
    - repair rust (yes, I know!) in the front left guard and few other small spots. Also windscreen is leaking water in somewhere so will try and fix that somehow.
    - repair dent in right front corner from when I went off at Eastern Creek T1 at 170kmh.... spun it 3 times and ended up sliding into the concrete wall on the outside giving it a little nudge (was raining the whole day previously, so once on the grass I was a passenger).
    - figure out what 14" rims we're going to run for Historics (need 14x6")

Pic from one of my early sprints in 2005 (running Dad's Performance Austar rims, not the LorBers)
    Nathan

Speed Shots Photography
    Official Photographer 2019 | Shannons Nationals | Porsche Michelin GT3 Cup Challenge | Hi-Tec Oils Bathurst 6 Hour | Superloop Adelaide 500 | Challenge Bathurst

Man, I wish I never sold my black GTV...
    "Where can we get hold of a Vincent Black Shadow?" "Whats that?" "A fantastic bike," I said. "The new model is something like two thousand cubic inches, developing two hundred brake-horsepower at four thousand revolutions per minute on a magnesium frame with two styrofoam seats and a total curb weight of exactly two hundred pounds."

Comment

cool - am still harbouring dark thoughts about pissing off my GTV6 and getting a 2.0 alfetta.

Can you run that with a 2.0 in Sc, or do you have to go back to a 1.8 (or cheat and say its a GTV and hope nobody cares)?

Superlites are prob the easy answer on wheels - would be good to get some 4x100 lightweight enkei or similar (and do the re-drill thing), but I suspect they won't be 'period' enough.

If you get some knuckle risers (see Vin) you can probably stay with about -2.0. otherwise -3 or more is required. Dropping the rear roll centre to below the tube is the other 'done thing' with these.
      Jason, 1983 GTV6 2.8, 1974 2000GTV Group Nc

Comment

paint looks so nice in that pic. how many RWHP at the moment?
        Tow car/camping bus: 2011 D40 Navara ST

Baby mobile: 2016 Nissan Qashqai

75 Mini Clubman club racer - DCOE powah

Comment

I'm not sure re. the 2L engine yet..... I know you can overbore to a degree. I haven't boned up on the Sc regs yet.

2deg neg is actually the max for Sc too I've been reminded..... *sigh*

I've got a set of Momo Vegas and a set of Cromodora Daytonas which would suit, but if we damage a rim, we're fucked on getting replacements.
          Nathan

Speed Shots Photography
          Official Photographer 2019 | Shannons Nationals | Porsche Michelin GT3 Cup Challenge | Hi-Tec Oils Bathurst 6 Hour | Superloop Adelaide 500 | Challenge Bathurst

Comment

Paint looks way better in the pic that it really is..... like most racecars, it looks better from afar

RWHP? No idea, never been on the dyno. I reckon it's got maybe 150hp at the fly but way up in the revrange atm because the cams are too big, got no torque worth a damn. By the time I get on the cam and start moving, the next corner comes up!
            Nathan

Speed Shots Photography

Comment

haha, as long as it looks neat in the power shots its all sweet. How do you tune the webers without a dyno, just by ear/feel, or a wideband?

ps shorter diff to keep it on the cam (or head work to match the cam, or the correct cam)

Comment

Bah, too much work trying to fit a 4.3 crowheel and pinion into the LSD. TwinSpark box is 4.1 final drive, but the gear ratios are taller than the standard Alfetta gearbox. That's why 75s had such tiny fucking wheels, to help the gearing. We'll be running 185 or 195/60R14 anyway, so that will shorten it a bit. At the moment the cams punch power from around 4500 up, my Dad's car makes power from around 3500 through to 7000 so we'll slap that head and cams and intake onto this block. The jetting on the carbs was done by the mechanics, they tuned my Dad's car perfectly based n the cams, and their experience (used to prep cars back int he Brian Foley days). Could always tell the mix was right based on the exhaust tip colour...
                Nathan

Speed Shots Photography

Comment

Originally posted by Nafe View Post
                  Could always tell the mix was right based on the exhaust tip colour...
                  farkin. gotta love old school know how.

I always wondered how my life would be had i'd bought the red 1750 from my local classic car place instead of my honda. It was a done deal had i not spotted the rust bubbles on the bottoms of the doors - and the car had just been resto'd.....

Comment

Yeah, my original Alfetta was great, til some cunt ran into it a year after I'd finished restoring it, brand new panels on the rear when I restored it, after the fix they started rusting within another 2 years..... I'm not sure there's a panel on it now that doesn't have rust. The fact it's been sitting under a car cover in the driveway exposed to the elements for the last 5 years can't help much either..... will strip it down for parts and interior, maybe sell the mechanicals with the shell of my Dad's old car.... would make a nice supersprint car for someone... caged, logbooked, stripped interior
                    Nathan

Speed Shots Photography

Comment

I love these things, more photos stat!

Comment

I'm not sure re. the 2L engine yet..... I know you can overbore to a degree. I haven't boned up on the Sc regs yet.

2deg neg is actually the max for Sc too I've been reminded..... *sigh*

I've got a set of Momo Vegas and a set of Cromodora Daytonas which would suit, but if we damage a rim, we're fucked on getting replacements.
                        If you protested on camber most of the field would be out. :rotflol: I suspect some of the fast alfettas in Sc may be GTs anyhow (are they lighter - I have heard they are better built (ie before Alfa worked out that it was good to sell the cars for MORE than they cost to put together) with lighter alloy bits here and there that were de-contented in later models.

I stupidly raced my 105 on Vegas, now I have 3 good ones and one that serves as an umbrella holder... so DON'T do that with either of those sets, they are too rare to risk.

Comment

Bah, too much work trying to fit a 4.3 crowheel and pinion into the LSD. TwinSpark box is 4.1 final drive, but the gear ratios are taller than the standard Alfetta gearbox. That's why 75s had such tiny fucking wheels, to help the gearing. We'll be running 185 or 195/60R14 anyway, so that will shorten it a bit. At the moment the cams punch power from around 4500 up, my Dad's car makes power from around 3500 through to 7000 so we'll slap that head and cams and intake onto this block. The jetting on the carbs was done by the mechanics, they tuned my Dad's car perfectly based n the cams, and their experience (used to prep cars back int he Brian Foley days). Could always tell the mix was right based on the exhaust tip colour...
                          I have a twinspark box in my GTV6 and its only first and second that are taller - but they are pretty good ratios for a stocker.

You're right in that you need a bit lower torque than 4500 to work with that box, say 4000 so it doesn't die into second and third or rev it to 8000 (or go to Vin Sharp and get some close ratios - the alfetta box can be done with a 2.5:1 first and 1:1 fifth which would be awesome).

Comment

Closer ratios = lots of money = no thanks.
                            Vin did the head and cams, and we'll grab his extractors again, but that's it. We're not in it to win (let's face it, to get an Alfetta at the pointy end requires a fuckload of cash, or excessive amounts of cheating, or both). Dad's head and cams come on strong from 3500, shitloads of torque, so that should help significantly.
                            Nathan

Speed Shots Photography

Comment

Closer ratios = lots of money = no thanks.

(let's face it, to get an Alfetta at the pointy end requires a fuckload of cash, or excessive amounts of cheating, or both
                              quoted for truth (in my view it would be both)

(not that I'm insinuating that any of those REALLY fast Sc Alfetta GTs with '1.8' litres engines that are SEVERAL seconds faster than my LEGAL Nc 2.0 litre 105 GTV are cheating, no, of course not...they're just really talented drivers...especially on the straights, you should see how fast the talent makes them go on the straights)

If I was doing a new engine for an alfetta, I'd start with a twinspark from a 75 - 20 extra hp for given level of mods (not that this helps when you are halfway there already with a nord )

Comment

Working...
                              X