Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GTV View Post
    quoted for truth (in my view it would be both)

(not that I'm insinuating that any of those REALLY fast Sc Alfetta GTs with '1.8' litres engines that are SEVERAL seconds faster than my LEGAL Nc 2.0 litre 105 GTV are cheating, no, of course not...they're just really talented drivers...especially on the straights, you should see how fast the talent makes them go on the straights)

If I was doing a new engine for an alfetta, I'd start with a twinspark from a 75 - 20 extra hp for given level of mods (not that this helps when you are halfway there already with a nord )
    Alfetta chassis carries more corner speed. easy
    "Where can we get hold of a Vincent Black Shadow?" "Whats that?" "A fantastic bike," I said. "The new model is something like two thousand cubic inches, developing two hundred brake-horsepower at four thousand revolutions per minute on a magnesium frame with two styrofoam seats and a total curb weight of exactly two hundred pounds."

Comment

Some of the guys spend insane money..... we're doing this n a budget, the car only cost me $9k to buy with spare rims, doors, hatch, various parts like brakes, calipers, crankshaft for a 2L etc....now we'll transplant the good bits out of the old racecar into the new one. Hope to at least be as fast around Bathurst in Easter as the old car.
      Nathan

Speed Shots Photography
      Official Photographer 2019 | Shannons Nationals | Porsche Michelin GT3 Cup Challenge | Hi-Tec Oils Bathurst 6 Hour | Superloop Adelaide 500 | Challenge Bathurst

Comment

Originally posted by Nafe View Post
        Some of the guys spend insane money..... we're doing this n a budget, the car only cost me $9k to buy with spare rims, doors, hatch, various parts like brakes, calipers, crankshaft for a 2L etc....now we'll transplant the good bits out of the old racecar into the new one. Hope to at least be as fast around Bathurst in Easter as the old car.
        Will have better aero down the straight for sure - just tell your old man to keep it flat
        Got a source for spare/replacement front spoiler sections? Back when I had mine they were impossible to get, and i managed to crack both mine
        "Where can we get hold of a Vincent Black Shadow?" "Whats that?" "A fantastic bike," I said. "The new model is something like two thousand cubic inches, developing two hundred brake-horsepower at four thousand revolutions per minute on a magnesium frame with two styrofoam seats and a total curb weight of exactly two hundred pounds."

Comment

Originally posted by Gammaboy View Post
          Alfetta chassis carries more corner speed. easy
          fixed
          Jason, 1983 GTV6 2.8, 1974 2000GTV Group Nc

Comment

My front spoilers are a mix of an average one and one that's been patched fuck knows how many times. The Sc guys dump them along with the bumpers. Make the car look shit IMHO, but it reduces drag and increases cooling to the sump, and for brake ducts

We already go flat into the Chase, the fucking sedan hit a wall at about 6000rpm in 5th.....
            Nathan

Speed Shots Photography
            Official Photographer 2019 | Shannons Nationals | Porsche Michelin GT3 Cup Challenge | Hi-Tec Oils Bathurst 6 Hour | Superloop Adelaide 500 | Challenge Bathurst

Comment

fibreglass ones are available (I think Avanti Spares has them), but they are less forgiving than plastic - which is not good for a low car.
              Jason, 1983 GTV6 2.8, 1974 2000GTV Group Nc

Comment

what stud pattern are these?
                ive got some 14x6 performance challengers that may suit if you want them... they are off a cortina so 4x108, i'm pretty sure alfa used the same pattern for a while?
                Originally posted by race6.3l
                Only gripes are the bluetooth and stereo are bread and butter spec, not one person has been able to hear me properly during a call, even with my head all contorted towards the roof mounted microphone like im trying to growl a chic sitting on a clothesline

Comment

4x98mm.
                  Rust is lighter than carbon fibre.

My Italian 510

Comment

Originally posted by ITS60S View Post
                    what stud pattern are these?
                    ive got some 14x6 performance challengers that may suit if you want them... they are off a cortina so 4x108, i'm pretty sure alfa used the same pattern for a while?
                    What offset?

Comment

So Bathurst has come one gone. Managed to get the car down into the 3:02 bracket..... still 5 sec slower than the old car which has all the aero of a brick.

Prep for Bathurst included
                      - rear springs and shocks out of the old racecar. Tested at EC and worked well, no more understeer
                      - bedding in some new pads (Porterfield R4 racepads)
                      - bolting in raceseat from the old car (sits a little high, but no time to make new mounts to lower it)
                      - fitted up old extractors and exhaust from the old car. Fucking around for hours trying to get it to mount properly, and make it sit the way it should (epic loosening and re-tightening of the mounts and chains holding the muffler etc).

Didn't get to change to the old radiator (thicker core), or oil cooler (haven't worked out how to mount it yet as the remote filter we have sat where the battery sits in the new car). Haven't swapped over the bigger driveshafts yet either (V6 ones, thicker and stronger for standing starts).

What went well on the weekend
                      - stock radiator and no oil cooler , but no temp problems, good oil pressure.
                      - handling was good (finally!)
                      - brakes stood up well (even though we flat spotted the left front on Saturday arvo avoiding a Commodore stopped sideways in the Dipper - video to come of that one!).

What didnt
                      - fuel pump leaking on Sunday morning meant no 3rd race, but it was red flagged after a WRX tagged the wall at Forrests, so we only missed 2 race laps.
                      - cams in the engine are too big, drops out of the power band on up shift making the climbe up the Mountain very fucking long
                      - gearshift is still vague, have to remedy that so it shifts like the old car (there's a trick to modifying this which makes the shift in an Alfetta very direct, positive with good feel.... yes, a miracle!)

Dad will be racing at the Sports Car Festival at Eastern Creek at the end of May in an All Alfa category. Possibly running Sc Historics at the same meet, but not sure yet.

Now deciding on whether to
                      a. freshen up the old head (valve springs etc) and bolt it along with the intake setup onto the current engine in the car.
                      Pro = much cheaper
                      Con = we're not sure how hard the current engine has been thrashed, the bottom end is relatively unknown quantity.

b. rebuild the old engine with a new bottom end and swap the motors over.
                      Pro = we know exactly how this engine has been treated over the last 12 years
                      Con = more expensive than just swapping over the heads. And our old engine build retired a few years back (we should have gotten him to do one last engine before he retired. The last one he built for us ran fine for 12 years and embaressed many fresher and bigger $$ Alfa engines in that time), so we need to find a new engine builder who will build it up......
                      Nathan

Speed Shots Photography

Comment

Nathan

Speed Shots Photography

Comment

Working...
                        X