Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

XD Street Stocker

Hi guys. This is the XD street stock car i bought recently.

The guy who used to race it tried to sell it without success. He ended up selling it to some blackfellers who pulled the donk and box out of it to put in an xf ute. The blackefellers in question started to put a clevo in it.

i had a crossflow laying around. ( ebay. ) and no gearbox. so i went to where all the old cars go to die. and found this ! it's a bit hard to see, but it's an XD sedan with a single rail 4 speed. yay !

so i pulled a heap of bits from various XE-F falcons. Most of my life i've been chasing clevo bits. It was strange to suddenly be chasing crossflow stuff.

so after a highly successful shopping trip, i yanked the clevo.

Then put the 4 speed onto the ebay donk, swapped the engine mount plates and put it in the 'ole. as it sits, i've got the motor on all of its mounts and the tailshaft in. more to come

Originally posted by Skompa
    The throttle linkages jammed on the CDs in my old Triumph 2000 and stuck it at WOT.

I didn't realise for about 15 mins as it never broke the speed limit.

so i suppose i'd better lay out the plan. first things first, make it go stop and steer. then tidy up the body, honing my awesome paint and panel skills. freshen up the donk, get it sealed and race the shit out of it.

it's a pretty low budget thing. hence all the second hand parts. the money will end up getting spent on protective gear and licences i reckon.
    The throttle linkages jammed on the CDs in my old Triumph 2000 and stuck it at WOT.

Comment

Where can you race that in Wilcania ?

Comment

it requires a bit of travel. broken hill is closest. then mildura, adelaide and murray bridge. probably just try it out at the hill first.

Comment

Sweet

Comment

so the nut holding the gearstick on was fucked.

someone had already changed this one once before.

with the new steel nut on.

fitted.

still shifts like a cock in a sock but at least the stick won't fall out.

Comment

been doing a few little bits to this. chasing up the last few bits. making a list of shit to find/buy. hopefully over the weekend i'll get it running. fingers crossed.

Comment

did a bit more today. got controls and an exhaust now. tomorrow i'm concentrating on making the fucker go and hopefully skids !

Comment

took it out for a thrash today. it was 10 mins of doughnuts, slides and fishtails. it is a wild fucken thing to drive ! i've left the power steer box in it, just not connected. heaps of fun though.

i've found a mountain of stuff to do, nothing that major. the wiring needs a huge tidy. there's some worn steering and suspension parts. no back brakes. (made minor shed skid easy !) but all that aside at least it moves under its own steam.

Comment

Where are the skid vids? I don't see any skid vids!

Comment

don't fret. i've just got to find someone with a video camera and some guts.

here you go, this'll have to do for the minute.

Comment

did a bit more to this today. decided to check the thermostat and found it had rusted away. fished the bits i could find out of the head and put in a new one. dug around in the fittings i had and put in a capillary temp gauge out of a dodge truck. also mounted the thermo fan sensor. i've got to drive about 500 k's this arve for a breakdown. :fgay:cunting shitboxes. i'll put up some photos at some stage.

Comment

did a bit more. made up a plate to cover a huge hole in the dash. mounted the temp gauge in it. removed a fuckload of old shitty wiring. put a copper tube onto the oil pressure gauge. it now reads 50 psi at idle hot. is this a bit much ?
                          i had to fill the motor with oil, and i don't remember what i used.

i'll get some pics later after my phone charges up. maybe some action shots/vids too. i found a bloke keen to be a passenger and film.

Comment

Hey Briney,

Looks like you have got a handful there, 50psi is higher than what my XF stocky reads, but my motor could be well fucked.

You are allowed to go glass bonnet/guards etc in the class, worth doing, heaps of them around (go to a meet and ask) makes racing easier as if you have a little tap and get wheels rubbing.

Power steer is the go for racing them, serisouly. Makes them a lot better to drive. Koni shocks / springs are allowed, or they turn a blind eye too. Don't worry about the brakes, you will never use them. 15in alloys give better tyre choice,

Trick with racing these things is just don't lift. If you do, they take that long to recover you will have lost a place.

You can port the head in places they can't tell, put some decent valve springs in it etc to make them a little more reliable. 3spd box is the pick if you can find a 3.33 (or something around that - XD Ute 3pd man 250's have them from memory) rear end.
                            4000rpm for the whole race generally.

Have fun, any q's send me a PM.
                            certified idiot

Comment

cool. good to hear. it has a 3.23 diff in it already. so is 2nd in the 3 speed better than third in the 4 speed ratio wise ? did you change the cam in yours ? the crow street stock grind looks good. i'll have a read of the rules later, they've changed recently apparently. no 200 rods allowed any more.

Comment

Working...
                              X