X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Budget Track/Street S1 RX7

Hi All,

Been lurking on this site for a while, figured it was time to put up a post about my track hack.

Photo of when I first saw it (mate msg'd me this photo when he bought it to tease me - it was mine a year later).

Photo from last hillclimb - thanks to Tyrie for the photo.

It is a 79 Series 1 that I bought mainly to hillclimb with my local club http://www.sdmahillclimb.com.

Tried to build this on a budget - sold my previous hillclimber (an AE82 Twin Cam Corolla) for $2K and bought this for the same. Have since bought a lot of second hand bits off ebay/forums as well as scored some freebies and very little new bits.

Current Specs

Engine/Drivetrain:
    • 13B 4 port - suspected to be a basic extend port, no lightening
    • Standard Nikki carb with softer secondary spring
    • Unknown extractors into SelectMaz 2.5 system with Rockwool packed rear muffler
    • S1 gearbox case with close ratio gearset - specs/origin unknown (on loan)
    • Button clutch
    • S3 diff - LSD - 4.44

Suspension:
    • New Kings Lows springs all round
    • Unused 2nd hand KYB shocks front (in S3 struts that have been tweaked for a bit of neg camber), 2nd hand Koni reds rear
    • Poly bushes in Watts, lower rear link, front sway bar links and castor rods - old rubber in the rest
    • Rear sway bar removed

Brakes
    • Front: S3 calipers and discs
    • Rear: S3 calipers and discs

Interior
    • Partly gutted with solid mounted Sparco Sprint V
    • Harness bar and 6 point harness for driver
    • Standard besides

Exterior
    • Ratty, bent and dented... I like it. :D
    • Runs random 15x6s with 2nd hand donated 205/50 Dunlop DZ03Gs for the track - whatever I can lay my hands on for the street

Car is still fairly low budget (but repair costs after tree incident kinda blew that out - hence the S2 bumper, different guards and matte black bonnet) and has done a 50.76 around the track - current front runners in my class are doing about mid 50s, class record is 47.56. My previous best in the Corolla which was pretty well sorted suspension wise (needed coilovers though) was a 53.66.

Still lots in the car and I still have to learn how to drive it.

Future plans are:
    • Get some 15x6.5 or 7s that have proper offset (+10 to +25) to widen track
    • Front Strut brace
    • Remove unnecessary engine bay items
    • Remove sound deadening - in progress (my 6yr old boy has taken it on as his job)
    • Half cage
    • Keep flogging the hell out of it on track

Will try to keep this post up to date now and update times as they hopefully drop.

Cheers,
    Todd

welcome aboard Todd, .... hope your car didnt get a curse from my diff

Comment

hey todd,

go on, post pics of the imfamous tree incident (it's about as good as my sweep crash!)

1998 MX5 - Ohlins DFV coilovers, Roll bar,15 x7.5 Konig Litespeeds, Mania Intake
      2014 Colorado LT - Oversized Whitegoods. Kid/bike/track hack/horse hauler.

Comment

Bloody thing has I think!

Unexplained traction issues at Sunday's hillclimb. Turned out the rear Dunlops, while still soft, had gone completely off. Swapped front to back and all of a sudden I had grip at the rear.

Have arranged to get next lot of smurf's blood blessed to ward off the curse.

Then again - you're running my old calipers - might be why you have all that front end damage?

Comment

Yeah Rowds, good point. For those not understanding tree/front end damage references.

Doing a road closure for a local rally late last year I drove the RX7 in - bad choice. Powerful engine + RWD + crappy old tyres + brain fade + no mad skillz =

I walked away ok and the rally went ahead with no dramas and I did the road closure and then all the helpful rally people got me and the car home.

Comment

I approve of this car.
            Skrrraaaarrrrrk

Comment

You've listed a fair bit of track/hill climb work in this car..
              are you sure it has a rotary in it?

Comment

Pics of missus?
                https://www.youtube.com/hoontv
                www.facebook.com/hoontv
                www.instagram.com/hoontv
                https://soundcloud.com/thehoonatics
                etc etc

Comment

Originally posted by TT View Post
                  You've listed a fair bit of track/hill climb work in this car..
                  are you sure it has a rotary in it?
                  It's a little disturbing when you go to the hillclimb here in Canberra, there are always a lot of healthy, running rotaries there. It's all a bit twilight zone.
                  Imagination is more important than knowledge.

Comment

Must be the cold air.

Welcome too Todd!

S
                    Have you heard??

Comment

Good to see you are finally here mate, your 7 is always entertaining at the hill climbs.

BTW do you want your S1 diff back?

/ --------------- \
                      _/ /___________\ \_
                      /_________|_________\
                      |OOO ___________ OOO|
                      \______|====|______/
                      [_]-------------------[_]

Comment

Originally posted by toddski View Post
                        Powerful engine
                        A Canberra thing obviously........
                        Lightning is at my discretion - don't fuck with me

Comment

Thanks all for the welcome.

Yep, it's a rotary - and so far pretty reliable. Prob because it's fairly stock and not producing eleventybillion!!!!111 killawasps. Has done almost 2 years worth of racing and will probably get a freshen up end of this year. Currently looking for a Weber for it.

Pics of missus - there's probably some out there. She'll be in a race suit in the nav seat of a S4T RX7 rally car.

Yes Chris - I'd like my diff back. A certain cursed individual keeps saying he'll drop it back. It was pretty entertaining watching my RX7 at the last hillclimb being driven by a local rally driver (who my wife navs for) - it was very sideways.

And as for the powerful engine comment - relative to stock 4AGE... :O

Comment

i like this

Keep an eye out on ebay for decent offset wheels, I've got all mine off there

Comment

Originally posted by toddski View Post
                              Thanks all for the welcome.

Yep, it's a rotary - and so far pretty reliable. Prob because it's fairly stock and not producing eleventybillion!!!!111 killawasps. Has done almost 2 years worth of racing and will probably get a freshen up end of this year. Currently looking for a Weber for it.

Pics of missus - there's probably some out there. She'll be in a race suit in the nav seat of a S4T RX7 rally car.

Yes Chris - I'd like my diff back. A certain cursed individual keeps saying he'll drop it back. It was pretty entertaining watching my RX7 at the last hillclimb being driven by a local rally driver (who my wife navs for) - it was very sideways.

And as for the powerful engine comment - relative to stock 4AGE... :O
                              No probs dude, will chuck it in the back of the Ute and drop it off in the next couple of days after work.

/ --------------- \
                              _/ /___________\ \_
                              /_________|_________\
                              |OOO ___________ OOO|
                              \______|====|______/
                              [_]-------------------[_]

Comment

Working...
                              X