Charade V6 budget hillclimber

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Took this for another run at supercruise 7 last weekend. It now has 1000cc bosch injectors, a new tial copy external wastegate, a big water 2 air intercooler and new paint job. As usual I spent the week before doing late nights to get it all ready and only took it for its first proper run the night before to adjust the fueling. Should have paid more attention to the cold start as the next morning it was -1 and when I got to the track I flooded it while trying to get it started. A new set of plugs and 45 minutes later I finally got it going and onto the track.

Car ran without any real problems . Spent the day bouncing off the frustratingly low 6000 rev limit but don't think I broke anything. It's only running 5 psi boost and the random springs included with the wastegate don't look like they'll let me set it where I want so have ordered a boost control solenoid. Also looking at anti roll bars to fix body roll and stop it handling like a HQ.

Improved my lap time 2 seconds down to 58 flat which I happy with given my lack of skill and the shitty old tyres it still running. I bought a set of nitto nt01's but ran out of time to paint my wheels and get them fitted.

Click image for larger version

Name:	rzDSCN3018.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	248.1 KB
ID:	6595972

Name:	rzDSCN3016.JPG
Size:	236.4 KB
ID:	6595973

Name:	2.jpg
Size:	71.5 KB
ID:	6595974

Name:	3.jpg
Size:	71.0 KB
ID:	6595975

Name:	1.jpg
Size:	58.0 KB
ID:	6595976

Name:	rzDSCN3026.JPG
Size:	195.9 KB
ID:	6595969

Name:	rzDSCN3023.JPG
Size:	201.6 KB
ID:	6595970

Name:	rzDSCN3019.JPG
Size:	234.9 KB
ID:	6595971

Comment

Was hilarious doing laps watching this go around. It's got the same track width as my car but a tiny body on top. Will be seriously fast when a few more boxes ticked off.
      2017 Ford Ranger XLT (Jeep Wrangler recovery vehicle)
      2007 KTM 250 SX

Originally posted by Monza
      I've never considered myself the type of guy to eat arse but I am currently reviewing that policy

Comment

haha i loved the cold start in the morning! Mine was almost as bad.

Such a cool car!

Comment

Didnt feel so dopey because so many others had issues and the gtr next to me needed a tow.

Comment

Yea that Ethanol cold start fun times.

How hard was it to change the front bank of plugs?
            2007 KTM 250 SX

I've never considered myself the type of guy to eat arse but I am currently reviewing that policy

Comment

That would be a good excuse except its running unleaded. The engine covers unbolt easily so getting to the front plugs is not a problem. The engine is leaned back so they almost point vertical.

Comment

Done not much on this since the last outing...

Took it for a run on the road last week and it was sounding nasty when it was coming on boost. Was worried I might be broken but just turned out to be the vband on the inlet of my yumcha wastegate had come loose and let the end slip out a bit. Looking to replace the 2 piece clamp with a tbolt style clamp type as they seem to have a bit better engagement.

Bought some chrome moly tube to make some sway bars. Was going to weld the ends to the bar but now I'm thinking I might try and spline them if I can work out how.

Painted the tri spokes... should be a few seconds right there!

Name:	IMG_1288.JPG
Size:	490.3 KB
ID:	6597473

Comment

this was amazing to see come to life! cant wait to see more

Comment

Originally posted by kneelo View Post
                    Bought some chrome moly tube to make some sway bars.
                    I was just about to suggest this. Top work. If you want cheap adjustable gear, search ebay.com for 'NASCAR sway'.

Comment

Nascar swaybar stuff looks cool but it wont fit here.

Worked out the layout for sway bar and checked the design on the weekend. Lowering the rear suspension has fucked up the geometry and put the roll centre 100mm underground which would need a serious heavy rear bar to counteract and I think there would be problems with it yielding anyway. So going to make new lower control arms and raise the mounts to fix it. The sway bar tubes are 1 1/4" dia and the arms are going to be about 270mm long. Cant be shagged trying to spline the ends so going to shrink sleeves on the end and weld instead.

Have ordered poly bushes for the new control arms and needle bearings and oil seals for the sway bar mounts.

The next antilag supercruise and collie motorsport test and tune are on the same weekend in october so working to have everything ready for then.

Name:	IMG_1389.JPG
Size:	449.8 KB
ID:	6597847

Name:	IMG_1388.JPG
Size:	488.1 KB
ID:	6597848

Name:	IMG_1385.JPG
Size:	559.3 KB
ID:	6597849

Comment

Good to see that you'll have this tightened up.

I can't make the next one unfortunately.
                        2007 KTM 250 SX

Comment

Haven't got the sway bars finished yet but took this for a run on the weekend with the new tyres. Even with dodgy suspension I still managed to improve my best lap time a couple of seconds down to 56.6. Had a few good spins and a massive tank slapper while I explored the limits but the only casualty for the day was a split CV boot and a 'genuine' bosch 044 fuel pump that is starting to sound a bit sick. Data logged with my new dash and am in the process of trying to overlay some gauges on a video i'll post later.

Name:	rz01.JPG
Size:	159.4 KB
ID:	6598899

Name:	rz02.JPG
Size:	149.3 KB
ID:	6598900

Name:	rz04.JPG
Size:	144.7 KB
ID:	6598901

Name:	rz05.JPG
Size:	182.6 KB
ID:	6598902

Name:	rz07.JPG
Size:	134.0 KB
ID:	6598903

Name:	rz08.JPG
Size:	160.1 KB
ID:	6598904

Name:	rz09.JPG
Size:	140.1 KB
ID:	6598905

Comment

Cool bananas,
                            2007 KTM 250 SX

Comment

Love this car, what was the tank slapping like? Such a short wheelbase plus rear engined, must have been and interesting experience, haha

Matt did you get down to this one?
                              Shitter LX hatch
                              Perth, WA

Comment

Na I was busting my heart doing the cape to cape mtb race.
                                2007 KTM 250 SX

Comment

Working...
                                X