Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rally Rolla.

The rally team has had the same sponsor in South Australia for a few years now, and we have had the Mazda out there presenting it well and receiving good feedback. It is up for sale if you are interested. The Nopics would really like to keep it.

We got some TV coverage at the first round of the 2013 ARC. Albeit supposedly representing the Golden Years of Rallying.

On presenting our case for the 2013 season to our sponsor, instead of being offered cash, we were offered a car.

The Sponsor is also interested in setting up his office run arounds in a similar scheme to that of the rally car. It would see the car out at shopping centres etc giving that little bit of extra exposure, and really we could not say no. Could we....... :D

We have asked CAMS for approval of an engine swap to allow a 2ZZ-GE into a ZRE-152 Corolla in place of it's asthmatic relative. It was in the previous model Sportivo, so Fingers crossed. I do not think they would allow the Beams motor.

With that in mind I present our donor car......

Sturgeon's Revelation (sometimes referred to as his second law): Ninety percent of everything is CRAP

Can't wait to see the build.

Comment

G2 or prc? Any chance he could swap for a yaris? Pretty big for a fwd rally car I would have thought.

Still should be good. A fully prepped one sold up this way for about 18k just recently. I think the bloke that bought it was looking at selling it to. Mate did some testing with the new owner and said it was half ok for a fwd prc car.

What's your plan for the gearbox?
      I have stuff...

Comment

I would have thought G2 with the engine swap. Although reading wiki, it might be ok under PRC (lets hope so!)

Wiki also said: Even the briefest period of oil starvation is usually fatal to this engine design, together with a picture of an oil pump in pieces.

Glad you didn't bring the mazda over to forest rally, both those competing failed with gearbox issues.

Hope you can get it to minimum weight!

Comment

Top work Smee!

Comment

We need to build the car so it can compete in state championships. Currently G2 is not allowed.
            Also, I do not have the money to throw at building a G2 car, so PRC it is. G2 I think would have allowed the Beams Motor.
            Building this model Corolla, may entice other people to look at building one and build up the fields again.
            I recall Mick Ryan saying he should have looked at the Mazda 3 instead of the Mazda 2 for his G2 car.

There is a bit of knowledge around in regards the 2ZZ we want to put in. If it is approved, I will look to Mr T for some engine advice.
            Neal Bates has done work with the shell previously, so looking at his build or homologation papers may make it easier for me. I do like the cage in his S2000 cars.
            Suspension is already sorted from MCA, and I have a stack of wheels that will fit.

I have seen a sequential gearbox available in the states for the 2zz motor. Before we look at that, I think it will be standard with an LSD and see how we go.

As for those Mazda's, I should be selling them the gearbox mod. At least I finish events....
            Sturgeon's Revelation (sometimes referred to as his second law): Ninety percent of everything is CRAP

Comment

Originally posted by smee View Post
              We have asked CAMS for approval of an engine swap to allow a 2ZZ-GE into a ZRE-152 Corolla in place of it's asthmatic relative. It was in the previous model Sportivo, so Fingers crossed. I do not think they would allow the Beams motor.
              Swap guidelines state engine must have been manufacturered pre 1986 to be eligible for a swap (unless CAMS says OK). If CAMS is going to play by it's own policy intent- to allow replacement of old engines for which parts are NLA with ones that are equivalent in performance, then they'll reject this, and say if you want a 2ZZ get the previous model, or build a CRC or a G2 car- there is no real justification for allowing it. However knowing ARCOM they'll say OK to this, but reject something more in line with the intent of the rule!

In which case I'd suggest to your sponsor you sell it, and buy the 2ZZ engined rally car that is currnetly for sale, do some work on and it you'll be ahead 10 K at least.

1998 MX5 - Ohlins DFV coilovers, Roll bar,15 x7.5 Konig Litespeeds, Mania Intake
              2014 Colorado LT - Oversized Whitegoods. Kid/bike/track hack/horse hauler.

Comment

Try and get g2 approved for state would be the go. Racing no one in p3 doesn't sound that fun. At least with g2 you could a little crazy with the build and not get smoked by datsuns all day. Tbh that always been my issue with a medium cost fwd build. No matter what unless you spend big dollars I know I could have spent 20k on a Datsun and have a more reliable, faster and more fun car.

G2 or r3 on the other hand, would have one anyday of the week!
                I have stuff...

Comment

Originally posted by Teamgemini View Post
                  Try and get g2 approved for state would be the go.
                  surely this is the go, and makes logical sense- G2 cars have to trickle down to state level, Although, and I haven't checked, but I wonder if they'd meet the definition of CRC anyway.....

Look at coppin in the R2 fiesta - unless you're a rally god like Elfyn, and who was clearly trying very hard in canberra, there is no way an R2 car or equiv is ever going to be competitive against the G2 hondas, polos and R3 renaults or monkhouse/orders in the turbo RWD PRC cars on Australian stages.

1998 MX5 - Ohlins DFV coilovers, Roll bar,15 x7.5 Konig Litespeeds, Mania Intake

Comment

Rowds, looking for a clubman type car, not an outright contender.

Will wait to see what Arcom come back with.
                    They have a meeting in a couple of weeks, but with Targa on, the engine approval info may take a little longer in getting out to people.

If no engine change, then it is not worth converting the car. No money or desire to create a G2 car from my side of the fence.

Comment

then convince sponsor to sell this off, buy that sportivo , put stickers on, and the job is done, no ARCOM hassle, no delays, rally SA here you come etc etc..

but then I know that the build is a significant proportion of the enjoyment for you, so I can understand perhaps why you'd want to go another way to me...

Comment

Good luck with arcom! Is the motor in it now really that big an issue to overcome?

On the other side is there a big push in sa to go 2wd? Might be better just sticking with the Mazda? Racing against no-one isn't very fun, if it was you just buy a P1 car and win all day. In fact because of the stupid fucking rule changes in nsw that would make you state champ. You want to hope they don't bring that crap in over in SA.
                        I have stuff...

Comment

Originally posted by Teamgemini View Post
                          Good luck with arcom! Is the motor in it now really that big an issue to overcome?

On the other side is there a big push in sa to go 2wd? Might be better just sticking with the Mazda? Racing against no-one isn't very fun, if it was you just buy a P1 car and win all day. In fact because of the stupid fucking rule changes in nsw that would make you state champ. You want to hope they don't bring that crap in over in SA.
                          Engine is a 2ZR-FE in car and not the best.
                          Would be going where not too many have gone in trying to extract power.

With regards SA moving to 2wd. They have this year introduced a 2wd trophy for the SARC.
                          So, getting a reasonable 2wd car out there may see a market for it in a few years, and I can move on to the next car. (electric hybrid ????)

There are probably 10 people in P3 this year ranging from 1600 right through to 1 series BMW....

Comment

And so it begins.

Excerpt from ARCOM dealings.

Agreeing engine substitution requests for Production Rally Cars for Holden HQ/HZ (350 Chevrolet), Toyota Corolla (2ZZ-GE), Ford Capri Perana (363 Windsor)

Comment

Originally posted by smee View Post
                              And so it begins.

Excerpt from ARCOM dealings.

Agreeing engine substitution requests for Production Rally Cars for Holden HQ/HZ (350 Chevrolet), Toyota Corolla (2ZZ-GE), Ford Capri Perana (363 Windsor)
                              Nice

The Perana one is truly odd given its not a factory capacity so far as i can tell

Comment

Working...
                              X