Announcement

Collapse

All new PerformanceForums is here

The long-awaited upgrade and server move is complete.

Whinge about shit HERE.

Looking for Tapatalk functionality? See this thread.
See more
See less

Rally Rolla.

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dash has been test fitted and aligned.
    Will now flock it.
    Have started on welding up small holes and plating around area's the cage comes through.
    Paint stripping, kevlar underbody and sundry item making has also commenced.

ECU being monitored.

Now to figure out the electric power steering conundrum.

How to make a toyota corolla electric power steering system operate without an ECU.

Sturgeon's Revelation (sometimes referred to as his second law): Ninety percent of everything is CRAP

Comment

Originally posted by smee View Post
      Now to figure out the electric power steering conundrum.
      How to make a toyota corolla electric power steering system operate without an ECU.
      The only way to do it is feed the EPS controller with valid canbus messages. Youll need a black-box of some description to do that, and AFAIK no one makes them.
      There is no easy work-around like can be done with the non-canbus EPS controllers.

I very much doubt youll be able to use a non-canbus EPS controller from a different car (ie, non-ABS equipped Yaris) with the column either.
      The column torsion bar, position sensors and motor will be matched to the EPS controller.

Comment

There's lots of threads around on various forums on EPAS conversions but most of them seem to use an Opel Corsa or Holden Barina EPAS. they are especially popular on Gt40 kit cars.

There's a company in Brisbane called Ultimate Power Steering that does Motorsport EPAS kits and they have a signal generating controller for their units. Maybe it can be adapted to yours? You may be lucky if the motors are both Bosch for example.

http://www.ultimatepowersteering.com...d-wiring-loom/
        Can I wear the Scream mask? The mask from Scream... when I do you from behind...

Comment

Originally posted by 6000SUX View Post
          There's lots of threads around on various forums on EPAS conversions but most of them seem to use an Opel Corsa or Holden Barina EPAS. they are especially popular on Gt40 kit cars.

There's a company in Brisbane called Ultimate Power Steering that does Motorsport EPAS kits and they have a signal generating controller for their units. Maybe it can be adapted to yours? You may be lucky if the motors are both Bosch for example.
          Spoke with a company in Ireland that makes a lot of kits for rally cars over there.
          They are currently doing something with a Toyota Yaris system I believe, so have sent them pictures of my column and motor.
          Will wait and see what comes of it.

Gearbox paid for and in a box soon I hope.

Murrayflex modifications are next on the agenda.
          Sturgeon's Revelation (sometimes referred to as his second law): Ninety percent of everything is CRAP

Comment

If you haven't seen this yet Smee, here is a write up of using the non-ABS Yaris EPS:
            http://www.toymods.org.au/forums/eng...-steering.html

Comment

Originally posted by MWP View Post
              If you haven't seen this yet Smee, here is a write up of using the non-ABS Yaris EPS:
              http://www.toymods.org.au/forums/eng...-steering.html
              Rallywiz is the group I have been speaking with.
              They seem to think because it is so tied in to the canbus it may not be possible to utilise it.

The Prius and Yaris system seems to be unit of choice now.

Have also spoken with the guys from QLD.

May be that I have to change out the Corolla's system and put a generic system in.

Comment

Originally posted by smee View Post
                They seem to think because it is so tied in to the canbus it may not be possible to utilise it.
                How long have i been telling you this for? :p

The Prius and Yaris system seems to be unit of choice now.
                Never even considered looking at the Prius system. Thought it would run on higher than 12V and use canbus.

Im looking into the RAV4 system at the moment.
                As its built for a heavier car, its should have a larger torsion bar in the column meaning it'll have better steering feel when assistance is turned down.

Comment

Don at Rallywiz has been very good.

If nothing in the next week, or the Yaris system is too expensive considering electrical requirements, then an Ultimate Power Steering unit it is.

Update,
                  Don has bought a steering column from an Auris (UK Corolla) and is working on it.

Might take him a week or so, but it offers another item in their store if it can be done.

Comment

Motec M400 with loom sourced.

Hopefully no scamming this time.

Comment

Gearbox is in the building.

Comment

awesome
                        Originally posted by thebluerx7
                        The fact they want to ban cash makes me want to go out and use it full time again now .

Comment

Floor mounts and false floor setup.

Amazing the use you can get from an empty slab carton.

Mock up of seating and pedal setup.

Comment

More stuff going in.

Seat and wheel setup looks ok.

False floor done, Navs footrest and fire extinguisher mount
                            Footrest has the ability to move up to about 20cm's

Comment

Some more stuff.
                              Coming together.

Comment

Looking pretty damn good.

I've been building a cage and whenever i've got stuck i've been using your photos for guidance and inspirations... Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                                X