Announcement

Collapse

All new PerformanceForums is here

The long-awaited upgrade and server move is complete.

Whinge about shit HERE.

Looking for Tapatalk functionality? See this thread.
See more
See less

Rally Rolla.

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is that Kevlar laid up and resin-ed in the same style you would normally do fibreglass ?
    Fortitudo et Superbiam

Comment

Originally posted by buzz View Post
      Is that Kevlar laid up and resin-ed in the same style you would normally do fibreglass ?
      Yes it is.

Cut and layout fabric to ensure it fits.

Layer of wax, then a layer of release agent.

Put down some epoxy and then lay the fabric.
      Squeegee and roll to get epoxy through.

Rinse and repeat till finished.

I generally go a bit over on the fabric lengths.
      Sturgeon's Revelation (sometimes referred to as his second law): Ninety percent of everything is CRAP

Comment

Cool, I was wondering how you got it off after it set.
        How strong are you finding this kind of shield in practice?
        Fortitudo et Superbiam

Comment

I've had one on my Familia for the last 12 years and it has not missed a beat.
          I have reduced the number of layers on this latest incarnation to see how it goes.
          Slightly more protected than the familia one so hopefully less prone to rocks.

The underbody on the familia is also too thick, so I have scaled it back on #RallyRolla also.
          No problems. When it wears slightly, I just scuff it up and paste some more epoxy over the top.

I have found it is best to put a sacrificial layer over the good stuff to offer wear resistance and a little strength, although it does add to the weight.

I'll stick a layer of Kevlar and then a layer of woven mat on the underbody and sill guards this week to add a bit of bulk and piece of mind.

Fuel tank and underbody from the familia.

This used Vinyl Esther resin and not epoxy.

Sturgeon's Revelation (sometimes referred to as his second law): Ninety percent of everything is CRAP

Comment

This is what the underbody looks like after 12 years.

Comment

Cool, thanks. Certainly looks to be doing the job - the idea of a sacrificial layer makes a lot of sense.
              Fortitudo et Superbiam

Comment

Originally posted by smee View Post
                I still have a return line to fit to the tank.
                Bottom 2 lines feed pumps.
                Top line is return to tank, and next to that is the return line from the fuel rail.
                Slightly lower is input from tank..
                Fuel pumps will feed line to fuel rail.
                Tank is only 1 litre in size.
                Seems to have been working fine for competition Lotus vehicles, so thought I would try my luck.
                Surely the tank is designed like all other surge tanks though... ie, pick ups are off the bottom of the tank when its stood upwards (normal orientation).
                There isnt much point in running a surge tank at all if the pickups are not on the bottom.

Comment

Originally posted by MWP View Post
                  Surely the tank is designed like all other surge tanks though... ie, pick ups are off the bottom of the tank when its stood upwards (normal orientation).
                  There isnt much point in running a surge tank at all if the pickups are not on the bottom.
                  This, I don't get it either.

1998 MX5 - Ohlins DFV coilovers, Roll bar,15 x7.5 Konig Litespeeds, Mania Intake
                  2014 Colorado LT - Oversized Whitegoods. Kid/bike/track hack/horse hauler.

Comment

Originally posted by rowdytoot View Post
                    This, I don't get it either.
                    Seems to be working in these instances.

I spoke with them and detailed what I required.
                    They had a product they had used in competition that I thought would suit my requirements.

Happy to be proven that it is wrong, and does not work.

Surge Tanks

Dual-Bosch-044-Fuel-Surge-Tanks

Comment

The obvious answer is they do 2 different configurations of tank - one laid over, with the pickups set up for such, and one stood up, with pickups to suit.
                      "Where can we get hold of a Vincent Black Shadow?" "Whats that?" "A fantastic bike," I said. "The new model is something like two thousand cubic inches, developing two hundred brake-horsepower at four thousand revolutions per minute on a magnesium frame with two styrofoam seats and a total curb weight of exactly two hundred pounds."

Comment

Originally posted by smee View Post
                        That link explains it all :)
                        All good then.

I gather you'll run one pump normally, and use the other as a backup?

Comment

Originally posted by MWP View Post
                          That link explains it all :)
                          All good then.

I gather you'll run one pump normally, and use the other as a backup?
                          Yep.

Low volume pump into tank.
                          Run one pump as prime, and the other as secondary.

A bit of fabrication to create a sealed under floor area with a see through lexan port hole to show off the bling.
                          Also a separate fluid port so the floor can be removed with compromising the connections through the cabin.

Comment

So, have done a little more with the fuel pump area.

Fabricated a cover and viewing port with Acrylic so at least you can see what is hiding there.

Comment

So wire stripping has commenced.
                              There is a wire, and in some case 2 for everything.
                              Basic indicators, head and tail lights, horn etc retained.
                              Lots has gone.
                              PDM and switch being sourced from 10secrx7 to allow for no fuses or relays and to look schmich.

Comment

OK, been doing a little work behind the scenes.
                                This is all that is left of the factory wiring loom.

Comment

Working...
                                X