Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Open Wheeler Toy

I've been tooling around with Open Wheelers in S.A.'s Dirt Circuit for a few years now, but I finally got sick of the V8 meatheads and their attempts at using the rule book to stymie my efforts. Casting around for options, my friends were doing hillclimbs, so I thought I'd build a vehicle to do some of them, I figure It'll be acceptable for Motorkhanas & etc.

So I took a Wrecked Toyota EchoClick image for larger version

Name:	RTB 044.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	2.90 MB
ID:	6629392
    it donated the engine, wiring loom wheels/tyres, fuel pump and the front of the Auto bellhousing
    Click image for larger version

Name:	RTB 046.JPG
Size:	2.94 MB
ID:	6629393
    A customer of mine gave me 2 Subaru Brumby manual transaxles, with the fear wheel drive mechanism removed and the Toyota bellhousing welded on the front this will become the transaxleClick image for larger version

Name:	RTB 045.JPG
Size:	2.82 MB
ID:	6629394

I had previously sourced a set of Mazda MX 5 uprights/Hubs for an abandoned Midlana project so they are being attached to a loose copy of an early sixties Brabham chassisClick image for larger version

Name:	RTB 043.JPG
Size:	2.93 MB
ID:	6629395

The hope is to end up with something weighing about 500 kg including me, with the standard 106 hp 1.5 litre 1NZ-FE for a budget of under $3k.

The Toyota cost me $380 delivered, the Mazda bits $1k and steel $180, Springs $180, Shocks $100, Rod ends and suspension bushes $120, Toyota Flywheel $75, I've also bought a new Subaru clutch plate and a new Toyota pressure plate can't remember the costs.

If it ends up at 500 kg @100hp that is a respectable power to weight ratio, to start with.....
    " Racing cars don't have doors. Toilets have doors" : Keke Rosberg

I'd like to end up with something looking like this

Click image for larger version

Name:	Brabham_BT2-FJr_1962_BSE0077_infineon-hist-5-08.jpg
Size:	54.2 KB
ID:	6591589

Comment

Wow! Interesting mix of parts etc.
      Will be watching this come together with interest!
      AutoMotif

VC Valiant

Comment

cool project will follow
        www.holditflat.com

Comment

Awesome, love it! Will definitely follow this one!

Comment

Slow progress for the last while, I've figured out the layout and sizing of the front suspension arms, but I'm somehow reluctant to get on with creating them? So I had a look at the fuel tank and where and how it needs to fit, but again, didn't purchase the required sheet of alloy to create it ? I did however start tooling about with the steering rack.

I had a rack from a Fiat 128 that I have had for over 20 yrs, when I found it, on a wreck out of Leinster in W.A. I didn't know why I wanted it, but, I did. I've kept it all these years thinking "one day that is going to be usefull" I had thought I'd install it as it was but the shaft was going to get in the way of my clutch foot. So I sliced and diced, cut and shut and with a couple of donor parts from a Mini rack and a couple of nylon bushes turned up in the lathe, ended up with this Click image for larger version

Name:	rack 001.JPG
Size:	2.90 MB
ID:	6591718

It has 4 1/2 turns lock to lock but travels 170 mm, I'll mount the steering wheel to a 2:1 Speedway Quick steer so then I'll be down to 2 1/4 turns. Should be just fine with less than 200 kg on the front tyres.

Comment

Awesome. Will be following this one!

Comment

Nice project!
                Turns out, far too much has been written about great men and not nearly enough about morons

Originally posted by seedyrom
                my neighbours called the cops...... not because of the sound of me working in the garage was too loud, but because i taped a cardboard box to my back, covered my self in vaseline and pretended i was a snail on their lawn

Comment

Finding so much mismatched stuff, banging it together and making it work is such a dying art... nice work mate

| 1963 RK43 Toyota Lite-Stout (Stanley) | 2002 EC5W Mitsubishi Legnum VR-4 Type-S (Larry) |

Originally posted by Gammaboy
                  PF - We're not happy till you're not happy.

Comment

quick steer is on the way roy.
                    Originally Posted by Tut
                    THEY SHOULD ANALYY RAPE THEMSELVES WITH A FUCING CACTUS UPSIDE DOWN WITH COCONIUTS AND PINEABPPLES AS CHRISTMAS BALLS THE FUCKNIG THIEVENG CUNTS ID RATHER DIE FROM HAVING A RAINBOW UNICORN URETHRALLY RAPE ME THAN TO FUCKNIG DO BUSINESS WITH THEM CUTNST EVER AGAN

Comment

Should be more budget friendly race car builds. Get on with it now...
                      NA8B 89KW- P.I. 1:50.1, WNTN1:38.0, SDWN 1:27.6, WKFLD 1:10.4
                      NB8B 181KW- P.I 1:43.8, WNTN 1:32.9, SDWN 1:22.0, BDFD 1:05.3
                      VP 293KW- P.I 1:43.8 WNTN 1:33.5

Comment

I bought a Honda civic radiator, I'd used 2 on my last racecar and they kept the turbo 6G74 cool, so I expect one will be fine for a standard Echo motor. Spent some time trimming down an electric fan from a Magna, mounted that, then set about making a pair of lower mounts for the radiator to the chassis. I only wish it was as quick to do as it was to type....

I purchased a sheet of 1.5 aluminium and got a piece cut from it that should fold into 4 sides of the fuel tank, kindly, the shop will retain the sheet and cut pieces off as I require. The guillotine makes such a nice job of slicing it...

$100 for the radiator and $78 for the sheet of alloy. I think I'll keep the running tally here to see where the money goes.

Comment

Oh dear ! I've just tallied up the total so far, it comes to $2713 including the $500 I've given the local mechanical genius to mate the Subaru box and Toyota engine together & etc, looks like we're in for a budget blow out, surprise, surprise.

It's alright, It's not as if I went in with a strict budget.....Lets see

Comment

great work so far roy!
                            Originally posted by Rdyno
                            70ynu has to be the most retarded cunt here. "Help me please" me "you need to remove your head" him "fuck off cunt I'm to lazy fuck off out of my thread you told me to do something I don't want to do so you're a cunt fuck off can some one please tell me an easier way???"
                            Originally posted by Tripper
                            Its a tight battle between you and rogercordia for the most retarded member on here, thou i think you have it by 5 window licks

Comment

This is cool. I'm following.
                              Originally posted by Bob Vegana.
                              They strike me as a total piece of shit.

So definitely right up my alley.

Comment

Working...
                              X