Open Wheeler Toy

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

​​ ​​ ​​ ​​ ​​​​​​​Here are a few photos of what I've bought, Tony reckons that with another block there is enough to build 2 engines. Lets see if I can get 1 runner together first......I'm excited!
    " Racing cars don't have doors. Toilets have doors" : Keke Rosberg

Comment

A couple of people have made the observation that going to a short stroke motor with lower torque characteristics will make the car harder to drive. I'd suggest that they have less exposure to sub 500 kg vehicles.

Considering that the vehicles I regularly compete against are powered by 4 cylinder motorbike engines of around 1300cc capacity and about 300kg, I don't think a V6 or V8 of 2.5 litres or even 2.65 litres is going to be comparatively lacking in torque.

It all comes back to the weight being moved. Using the example of... myself, I'm around 78 kg so I add 16% to the weight of my car, I'd add 7.8% to the weight of a 1000 kg MX5 or 5.2% to something weighing 1500 kg......So realistically you could power a 500 kg car with a third of the torque of a 1500kg car and achieve the same performance, Remember of course that HP is just a product of torque and engine speed.

Of course the only reason that a Cosworth DFX Indy car engine makes 800hp while the N.A. DFV makes 400, at the same engine speed and essentially the same engine, is that the turbocharged DFX makes more torque. I think the overall performance of the entire package is in good hands.

At least, I bloody hope so.....

Comment

I am watching with interest to see how it all goes and how big an adrelinan stain you get in the race suit after the first fast drive in it.....

What you are doing is proper old school motorsport, answering the questions that don't necessarily need to be asked, but need to be answered and coming up with the solutions to answer those questions.

Comment

^^^Pics aren't working for me. And never been so keen to see a bunch of engine parts!

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0578.jpg
Views:	424
Size:	235.6 KB
ID:	7098561Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0577.jpg
Views:	410
Size:	128.4 KB
ID:	7098562Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0571.jpg
Views:	435
Size:	218.8 KB
ID:	7098559Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0570.jpg
Views:	428
Size:	222.5 KB
ID:	7098560Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0566.jpg
Views:	426
Size:	157.8 KB
ID:	7098563 Just a pile of crusty aluminium and magnesium from about 1981......

Comment

It reached 40 degrees at 9:30 this morning, be damned if I'm going out to work, unless one of my top customers has a real emergency.

Plenty of time then for scouring the internet trying to find out more about Cosworth DF engines, there were more than I had initially thought..... DFV, DFW, DFX, DFY, DFZ, DFR, DFS and DFL in capacities ranging from 2.5 litres to 3.9 litres all shared the same block casting.Which did evolve but was interchangeable through the entire life.

Interestingly the major upgrade was performed by Mario Illien, more recently known as the Il in Ilmor engines ( now incorporated in Mercedes) He redesigned the cylinder heads and reconfigured the bore/stroke ratio to create the DFY to get a bit more from the ageing DFV 3 litre, the DFZ was the 3.5 litre enlargement of that engine and the DFR an electronic evolution of the DFZ.

There were only very few 2.5 litre DFW (2, ?) used in Tasman series races, Whilst the DFX and DFS were Indy engines, the DFS having Illien's upgrades. The 2 DFL engines 3.3 and 3.9 litre were for endurance racing, unfortunately the 3.9 had a habit of destroying the car it was fitted to.....due to vibrations from the long stroke.

This of course led me down the path of, what combination would I create? Clearly the sensible and clear first option is to put together a standard size DFX. I still then need to configure manifolding to twin turbocharge it and fit EFI to it. I think that should be more than enough challenge.

Comment

It's like an oven out there! The external temp gauge on the Peugeot is saying it's 47 degrees, I haven't seen that on it since the time we took it to the Kimberley.....

I chanced upon an excerpt from Keith Duckworth's biography, which mentioned that early DFX engines could produce up to 1000 hp and after a boost restriction in 1980 were reworked to increase efficiency at the lower boost levels. This was around 23 psi and power levels post rework were around 700hp this all bodes well, as the block I've purchased is an "issue 14" that is, the 14th year of production, 1981, so I'm trusting that the compression ratio is more suited for the 23 psi boost level than the 40 psi previously used. My understanding is that initially they were 7.1 comp ratio.

Initially I can see me using the same pr. of turbos that are currently on the Mazda motor, which are only good for 15 psi and 250 hp each, on the face of it that means I'll likely fuel it with 98 unleaded, I like being able to pick up fuel at the servo.

They talk of a longer duration between rebuilds at the lower boost level, 800 miles, which for a hillclimb engine is going to be an awfully long time.

One stumbling block I have of the moment, is Spark Plugs, I have no idea what grade of plug I'm going to need....I'm sure as things progress, I'll become more educated on where to start, but at the moment I have no clue.

Comment

Name:	IMGP0985.JPG
Views:	302
Size:	3.70 MB
ID:	7099920 The empty transaxle case, with the input shaft running through below where the diff centre resides and above it from the rear the output shaft from the gearbox with the pinion gear on the end of it. If you go back a few pages the gear cluster in the jig slots straight into the back of this assembly.

Ah, after the heat of the last few days it was a pleasure to get out and down to the shed over the weekend. I got much usefull work done, finished the mounts for the 4 spot calipers on the RH side and then stripped that side so I could replace the output seal on the transaxle. It's been leaking since I started using it.

Once that was all done I moved on to the clutch cable, the clutch had been progressively getting harder to operate and I suspected it was cable related. The cable outer had distorted and the reinforcing wires were protruding from the clutch end. I trimmed the end of the outer and did a little work to the clevis on the clutch end to get a little more adjustment there roughly reassembled the whole thing and it was back to it's usual self. Having sorted that I disassembled it and then unbolted the bare transaxle from the back of the engine to access the clutch. Now I had thought at the end of the season that I would see if I could source a lighter diaphragm spring for the clutch, but, having purchased a pile of Cosworth bits I'm not so convinced on spending money to do that. Meanwhile I will remove it to replace the spigot bush.

A couple of really nice pieces of Titanium, the diff output flange and the wheel drive flange, the 6 bolts that go through the wheel drive flange also form the drive pegs for the wheel, bolt the flange to the CV and preload those expensive wheel bearings. The entire assembly is an impressive piece of packaging and engineering and hadn't yet been adopted by all runners in 1988 but here was EuroBrun with it.

Name:	IMGP0986.JPG
Views:	319
Size:	3.49 MB
ID:	7099919

Comment

I had another successfull day in the shed today, I stripped the RH rear upright cleaned everything, painted the upright repacked those wheel bearings and reassembled it all, and got it right first time (last year I hadn't taken enough notice of how everything went together and it took a couple of attempts to reassemble it!!)

I've determined that next year I will replace the bearing balls, because I can.

I guess that means tomorrow I will likely do the other side and then start reassembling the transaxle....

I rang Australian Clutch Service, and yes they can supply different thickness diaphragm springs for the clutch....in the new year.

Comment

I slipped down to the shed this morning and got stuck into the LH rear upright, everything went well till I lost a ball out of one of the bearings, that meant a trip down to CBC to pick up some spares. Then complete the job before it got to hot in the shed.....

The Teakle Auto Sprint is on again this coming year, whilst I'd love to compete in it, it is another of those events that is in a kind of neitherland, it is not open to racing cars ie. open wheelers, but will be won by a car that certainly isn't road registered nor conforms to any CAMS/ Motorsport Australia category. The same car will have won the Willunga Hill "hillclimb" and the Mt. Gambier "Legend of the Lakes" event. Both of which also don't allow racing cars.

I'd have to declare a degree of sour grapes in my position, but I do find it irksome that these events and cars garner such gravitas among enthusiasts, when in reality the actual performance is probably underwhelming given the lack of constraints in the vehicle specifications and the cubic dollars spent.

I'm also finding myself feeling as though I've betrayed my ethos by buying a Cosworth, I'm not convinced that it wouldn't have been cheaper / more sensible to develop the Mazda KL to a similar level. I really am struggling with this change of philosophy, it's not making me happy.

Add to that Bushfires, ScoMo, Christmas and unchristian christians and insurance and my mind is unsettled at the moment......

Comment

So, Young David turned up on thursday, While he continued messing around with the rear of the old green car, I faffed around doing little usefull things on 188. Reluctantly I got to the wheel and tyre situation... Of course we have a new expensive Avon slick on a broken wheel, a pr. of quite worn Hoosier speedway tyres on a Pr. of 15" wide F1 wheels ( which will not fit over the Carbon brake discs). So the logical step was to strip one of the Hoosiers and wheels to repair the broken wheel in the slick. So I did that, the Hoosier was very reluctant to yield, but eventually I had it off and stripped the wheel into it's 3 parts only to notice that the centre has a crack in it !! Oh, well there is another there.... so do it all again...it was about at that point I decreed that it was too fucking hot for this malarkey and gave it away for the day.

Of all of the pieces of wheel that I have, I'm getting the distinct feeling none of them are going to be used going forward, wrong widths and wrong internal diametres mean that I'm going to be left with a pile of expensive parts I can't use!

I can see that I will likely get Whitehorse Industries to make 4 new hoops to fit to the centres that I've had watercut.

Comment

holy crap... playing a bit of catch up... you bought the cosworth?! nice!

impressively quick evolution of this car roy, doing lots to it, hard to keep up!
                          Mit freundlichen Gre

Originally posted by Keith Duckworth
                          "I think that in a racing engine, the closer it is to disintegrating, in general the better its performance will be "

Comment

Fortunately I'm still enjoying it, I'm sure one day it will all become to feel too much like work and the enjoyment will drain away.

Still there are those momentary memories of driving the car and having the acceleration or lateral grip blow your mind, then you reflect on than and think 'how the fuck does David drive it 1.5 seconds faster over the same 750 metres?' my brain can barely keep up with the pace of the car, I need more good seat time..........not more horsepower!!

But, I'm not getting any younger, so best I do what I can while I can. Really need to get onto the seating and controls so more people can have a go at it, no good having this fearsome thing it others can't experience it for themselves.

Comment

Are you going to turbo the Cosworth? And because I have no idea what these things are worth... What's higher, the purchase price or the redline?

Comment

Because the Cosworth is a DFX, which was the Indy version, 2.65 litres and turbocharged, yes I will turbocharge it. They were originally not intercooled and methanol fueled, I will likely go petrol and twin turbo twin intercooler or perhaps E85. I'd rather go 98 petrol, because I like to buy my fuel at the servo.

I searched around for what I've bought, bearing in mind I'm a mechanic. I wasn't looking / couldn't / didn't want to afford a fresh ready to install engine. I wanted an engine, complete / ish, in parts or not. I didn't want inlet or exhaust manifolds, didn't want the ancient fuel injection system, really just wanted a core engine that I could work with to make a going concern. Casting around I figured if I could find the right package it was possible I could stretch the budget to cover it. Initially I thought it was more likely a Judd AV Indy engine would be the target engine, they lacked power compared with their contemporaries, the DFX and Ilmor Chev 265A therefore are less desirable.

My search started with Indy Competition Services, but he is just an agent advertising other peoples stuff.... he did however mention the cache I bought... further searching turned up various other vendors, Racing Junk, Racecarsdirect, Can-Am cars, Racecarwarehouse, Race-cars.com, motorsport-sales etc etc I actually found that by searching for images of parts it would bring up advertised parts.

The stuff I bought was advertised on Racing Junk, among all the 632 ci chev big blocks !

It was advertised for $6000 USD and he discounted it to $5500 to cut me some slack for transport....unsurprisingly the vendor, Tony, is an enthusiast, with a Turbo LS powered '70 Camaro and a couple of Chev pick ups, he is in Texas after all.....

I'm not sure whether I will get it up and running for less than the redline, nominally 10 000. A fresh DFX is in the region of $25000 USD and a DFV more again, All I know is that I didn't want to spend that much in one lump sum and I don't want / need an engine that will be fast and reliable for the Indy 500 miles.

Clearly I don't want to blow this thing up, throw a leg out of bed or drop a valve like, but we will be looking to run it as affordably as possible, Chris, my engine machinist and I will be bringing all of our experience to the table to try to make this happen. Lets see?

Comment

Working...
                                X