X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some inspiration https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4A0ZaE2yKo

Comment

Yep, I've got some work to do, when everything gets here....
      " Racing cars don't have doors. Toilets have doors" : Keke Rosberg

Comment

Cool Change Brings Life to Shed!

I managed to get back into the shed after the heat of the week, great progress has been made,I picked up a lighter clutch spring during the week so that was fitted and reassembly of the car commenced. It has been an enjoyable day in the shed just quietly tooling along reassembling everything.

By the end of the day I was contemplating fitting the gear cluster into the back of the box, but it can wait till tomorrow.

With the replacement spring in the clutch the effort required to operate it has decreased, still very firm but much better none the less. In light of than I'm looking to work on getting the car usable by people of a more normal build than I. To that end I'm looking at building a 2nd pedal to operate the current one via a pushrod, indeed, I'll likely do that with all pedals with multiple pedal positions and pushrods. I'm also looking at moving the gearlever rearward, Young David had already asked for that. I can see a series of steering wheel spacers in the future also.

Whilst I was looking at 2nd pedals for the clutch I saw that it may be possible to add a bit more mechanical advantage to the clutch operation via the 2nd pedal which would make it even easier to operate.

I'm pleased to once again be making progress on the car.

Comment

I may be missing something here, but why wouldn't a thick infill padding on the seat achieve the same thing? What distances are we talking?
          He jerked off with the determination of someone within sight of Everest’s summit, having lost all his friends and Sherpas, having run out of supplemental oxygen, but preferring death to failure.

Comment

because short fat riff raff need to be accommodated for

Comment

David uses a thick infill in the seat but it is less than optimal for both of us, if things can be improved then I'm happy to try.

I will also need to make a wider seat / shell of a seat + infill.

Anyway, back to the shed.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP0992.JPG
Views:	470
Size:	3.55 MB
ID:	7105441

A big day in the shed. something I've been promising myself for quite some time., but it was grovelling around on the ground on friday refitting the dry sump pump that was the straw that finally broke my back. A quick trip to Bunnings for a pr. of saw horses $18.50 each.....I added some reinforcing and put them into service holding the racecar off the ground. Should have done it years ago.

Next step is an electric winch to hoist the racecar up there, I've grand intentions of a rail running the length of the shed and several trolleys on it to carry sections of car and an engine stand at the back of the shed for assembling Cosworths on.....

An air conditioner might be a handy thing with all this climate change going on.......

Comment

Another few hours in the shed on saturday, and I wonder where they went....all I was trying to do was move the gear lever?

To do that though, first I had to remove the radiator and cut off the radiator brackets, then trim the seat a little, remove the previous gear lever fixtures and then start to conceptualise the new layout, then slowly bring that to reality.....in due course it did all happen, but that was the best part of the day gone and now I've got a radiator to remount and create new ducts for....

I can see that the new lever position is a good thing though. Indeed it is so good I shall go forward and make a gear knob for it !

More bloody work !

I used to wonder why more people didn't do this. Now I know, it is all consuming. I used to say ( kinda jokingly) that racecar preparation takes up all time that can possibly be allocated to it. I wasn't joking. Racecars are never "finished" there is always something to do, and if nothing else they can always be made to go faster....

Being a mechanic and owning a racecar is really too much of the same thing, there seems to be no respite from tooling. At least with the racecar it is up to me what I do and when, well, as long as it is ready for the next event !

I can see that I may or may not make the next event, with the approaching costs of getting the DFX parts here I'm not convinced I'm going to find the readys to sort myself out with a Frontal Head Restraint before then. The car will still need to be ready for David, as he already has an FHR.

Comment

Feeling the financial impact of climate change, my customers don't even expect me to be be helping them out in this heat. Not much getting done in the shed either.

I got the gearknob sorted, and very happy with it I am too.

I sorted out remounting the radiator, but haven't done any ducting yet. I'm trying to find the effort to do the same on the other side for symmetry and pondering whether to add a fan to the radiators or not and whether to do the ducts in alloy or something else.

I bought a 7/8 master cylinder to go with the rear 4 spot calipers yesterday, because I need to stop the gearbox from turning so that I can tension the 2 nuts on the shafts, once that is done it can be closed up and refilled with oil.

Meanwhile, the wheel I had assembled touches the caliper, so I need to make a spacer for it (I reckon in the region of 3 mm), while I was messing about with wheels I had a look to see if there was any way I could use the rims from F1 wheels, and it seems I could. So I got sidetracked in assembling the pile of waterjet cut pieces into a wheel centre. I have done that, it's not as light as I'd like but it is otherwise pleasing. With these wheels we will be able to continue using the wonderfull Hoosier tyres.

Only 7 weeks to go till the start of the season....

Comment

Name:	IMGP0994.JPG
Views:	255
Size:	3.66 MB
ID:	7109644Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP0995 - Copy.JPG
Views:	243
Size:	3.63 MB
ID:	7109645Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP1001.JPG
Views:	244
Size:	3.47 MB
ID:	7109646

Some ordinary photos of progress...

The wheel has turned out OK, I will spend some time in the shed this afternoon working on the 2nd one.

Comment

After a good number of hours messing around with wheels, spacers and brake calipers. I've finally got 4 wheels (with tyres mounted) that fit on the rear over the ceramic discs and 4 pot calipers. No small effort to achieve that I must say.

I tried in vain to torque up the nuts in the gearbox, only to give up and resort to the dugga dugga torquer. Having achieved that I finished assembling it and poured some oil into it.

I think, tomorrow I will continue with fitting a pr of 4 pot calipers to some front uprights and vented cast discs. I made a start in this over a year ago.... but having achieved 4 pots on the rear I'd better try to balance it out a little.

6 weeks till first hillclimb, and I'd like to give it a bit of a shakedown before then, indeed I'd like to rework the ignition and get it on the dyno, see if we can find a bit more power before then!

Comment

And done. Because I'd already made some progress with 4 spots on the front it took very little effort to finish, and today I picked up another pair of brake hoses , swapped in a 3/4 master cylinder and all I need to do now is bleed it and test drive.

Comment

Name:	IMGP1005.JPG
Views:	126
Size:	3.72 MB
ID:	7112402Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP1010.JPG
Views:	120
Size:	3.60 MB
ID:	7112403Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP1014.JPG
Views:	125
Size:	3.69 MB
ID:	7112404Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP1015.JPG
Views:	120
Size:	3.84 MB
ID:	7112405

Comment

When I picked up the brake hoses there was a question over the price, I couldn't remember exactly what I'd paid for the rear pair....

The upshot of course was, that it just doesn't matter! The car is going nowhere without them. It's a racecar so they can't in anyway be justified or defended, it is an indulgence, nothing more nothing less. I couldn't justify the money spent on it under any circumstances.

It's fun but !

Comment

i love this shit... water jets centers so he can run F1 wheels which are skinned in fucking hoosiers, on his turbo Mazda milk crate creation... which is getting a cosworth V8
                                Mit freundlichen Grüße

Originally posted by Keith Duckworth
                                "I think that in a racing engine, the closer it is to disintegrating, in general the better its performance will be "

Comment

Working...
                                X