Open Wheeler Toy

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well whadya know? Having not heard anything about Cosworth from Texas, I emailed the shipping agents, I mean that's what you pay them for isn't it? nah, they haven't heard anything either.....

I'm expecting it's got something to do with the resurgence of Covid 19 in Texas, they are currently recording over 3000 new cases per day! That's gotta change the way things happen.

I received payment for the F1 bits and sent them this afternoon, never thought I'd ever be a buyer and seller of F1 parts, but there you go!

I suppose I should do the "sensible" thing and buy a HANS helmet with that windfall.

Meanwhile, I fucked up with organising the bits I needed to get the hillclimb car back on the dyno and had to reorder the correct pieces.......more money....

We are all set to try out the 'khana car again on saturday, I'm looking forward to this as the weather should be cool but fine and I expect we will have a good run at it, in preparation for the following sunday.

Oh dear, 5500 new covid cases in Texas yesterday!!
    Last edited by Roy928tt; 24-06-20, 09:27 PM.
    " Racing cars don't have doors. Toilets have doors" : Keke Rosberg

Comment

I'm increasingly thinking I've really fucked up with buying Cosworth.

The car was built around the philosophy of using a boosted stock engine, $300 a throw + turbo bolt ons. I was prepared to buy a set of rods and pistons if that was what was required to move forward in the search for required power, trusting that I could swap them from broken engine to replacement....

Of course there is the question of where do you stop in the search for HP...... Do you stop when the car reaches your predetermined benchmark, 31.5 sec. ?

Do you stop when you reach the limit of the turbochargers, fuel injectors, fuel pump ?

Do you stop when you reach the mechanical limit of the base engine ?

I can't help but think I've betrayed the original philosophy by changing tack and buying a Cosworth. We passed the predetermined benchmark without asking our dyno guy to try to extract some power from the engine. Otherwise we haven't tested the Mazda motor at all.

Ok the Mazda motor isn't going to match a Cosworth without spending a large amount of money on it. It's not going to spin to a 5 digit redline easily, cams, valves, valvespings, pistons and conrods would likely need to be replaced.

However, given the speed of the car already, did it/does it even need a 5 digit redline. Probably not.

Yes, I'm disappointed with my lack of discipline, for not sticking to the original philosophy.

Instead, I got distracted into buying a version of the most successfull racing engine ever built, that in itself is no bad thing, but.

Given I've spent in the region of $9000, with another $2000 for freight and god knows how much till it is actually an assembled engine, then even more for suitable turbos, intercoolers, injectors and fuel system, flywheel and clutch......

Lets take the initial $11k and spend it on Mazda KL's. That's 36 long Mazda engines from U-Pull-It....(the engine in the car is number 3 but is made up of parts from the first 2)

It's not making a whole lot of sense.

By now I've long since learned that the most expensive thing to do with a car is to change your mind, but did I pay heed to that lesson?

Of course, looking at it from the other perspective, nobody is starving because I've spent all the moneys on Cosworth, and at fruition it will have a power to weight ratio of the very highest order.

Something like 700 hp /500kg not dissimilar to a current F1 car! Fuck! I hadn't done that calculation before!

700kg/1000hp=.7 500kg/700hp=.71

That's why I want everyone to have a drive of it.

Comment

Originally posted by Roy928tt View Post
        ...Do you stop when the car reaches your predetermined benchmark, 31.5 sec. ?

Do you stop when you reach the limit of the turbochargers, fuel injectors, fuel pump ?

Do you stop when you reach the mechanical limit of the base engine ?...
        I'd say stop when, for whatever reason, you no longer enjoy it. Until then, 1400hp per tonne
        Originally posted by Marlin
        Chickens will slip under water in the cover of darkness like a seal team and FUCK YOU UP.

Comment

Away from the negative distraction of the Cosworth.

The 'khana special got taken out today for another shakedown/practice. We were slightly delayed but had a good run once underway.

I'd been unhappy with the way it was running late in the week, the spark plugs wouldn't clean up. Whilst the engine was running nicely it still seems rich but there is no further adjustment on the jet and the plugs carbon up and weren't cleaning up. Unhappy. So I chucked a set of new forklift plugs I had for a customers job, they were 6's the prior ones were 7's the hotter plug does keep itself cleaner and things are better. So I picked up another set at Sprints this morning BP6ES..... BP6ES I thought to myself yes in the distant recesses of my mind that rings a bell, I reckon that's what should be used in a healthy old BMC A Series. So why did it have 7's ? Bloody Champion Spark Plugs ! The original Mini plug was a Champion N7 and the Cooper S used an N9Y. Champion of course, the higher the number the hotter the plug whereas NGK the lower the number the hotter the plug. So that helped.

They ran around on the tough old slicks for a while then we swapped to the tyres that had been used on the little green hillclimber they must be nearly 10 yrs old by now but have been cared for. The difference was noticeable and the mood is upbeat that they will be just fine on the bitumen surface of the 'khana ground ( the Mallala skidpan). It really is important to look after those stupidly expensive tyres. I only use hillbilly tyre compound, wrap them when not in use and the car is stored off the ground so the tyres don't get flat spots but it really pays dividends they are still soft and pliant.

So things are looking promising for the 'khana next weekend, apart from the early start on sunday morning, I'm looking forward to it.

Sorry, I must get a photo or two of it in action.....

Comment

You could always build something new to put the cosworth in.

Comment

Hmm, I'm in a position to have a F1 Cosworth powered track car. Should I do it?

Really??????

lol, you_fucking_legend.
              .... because every driver experiences the destructive potential of the effortless surge of power available through the smallest of body movements.

Dr Hoon

DrNick is king!!!! No, Mark Webber is now! Long live the king!... hold on a minute mate, Ricci is in charge now

Comment

I can't help but think I've betrayed the original philosophy by changing tack and buying a Cosworth. We passed the predetermined benchmark without asking our dyno guy to try to extract some power from the engine. Otherwise we haven't tested the Mazda motor at all.
                You can still build another all out chassis for the cosworth and just keep similar wheels/tires etc

Sorry I know I'm not helping but really you're talking to drug addicts about your drug addiction. Ha ha ha

Edit, mrniceguy beat me to the punch
                GAS 260Z RB26DET
                GAS 1600 3SGE BEAMS

Comment

Thanks for the consideration.

I'm feeling very relieved this morning, Tony in Texas has answered my email. He is alive and well and at home, this is good, good because he hasn't fallen victim to Covid and good that an engine could be collected from him. Indeed the wording of his message could be construed to indicate that the engine has already been picked up. That would be nice.

Comment

Hi Roy
                    This isn't anything to do with your cars.

I know that you are a fan of Gordon Murray the F1 designer. This is an online gallery view of his exhibition of 50 years of design a couple of years ago. Hopefully some of this will sway your thoughts on if a Cosworth V8 is worth the hassle (it should be!).
                    https://oneformulagordonmurray.com/en/
                    He jerked off with the determination of someone within sight of Everestís summit, having lost all his friends and Sherpas, having run out of supplemental oxygen, but preferring death to failure.

Comment

Gordon Murray's 50th year retrospective is very interesting, all of the displayed cars had their weight noted in red.

I think I first heard the term " the virtuous circle of lightness" from Murray, and when you get on the downward spiral the results are amazing. You don't need horsepower, what you want is as little weight as possible, It makes speed cheaper.

As for building another chassis for the Cosworth, the whole vehicle came about/was built around the transaxle, that was the crucial starting point "the piece I couldn't make". The current position is that the next dyno appointment for the Mazda motor should be it's last, to tune it to it's limit on 15 psi (there has never been any effort put into the tune, it is very much a safe base tune) With concentration swinging over to the Cosworth ( at least that's the plan, who knows?)

Comment

WOO HOO ! Cosworth is in Long Beach California.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	image001.png
Views:	125
Size:	361.5 KB
ID:	7159651Click image for larger version

Name:	image002.png
Views:	120
Size:	305.7 KB
ID:	7159652

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	tenor.png
Views:	110
Size:	122.1 KB
ID:	7159721
                            Originally posted by Marlin
                            Chickens will slip under water in the cover of darkness like a seal team and FUCK YOU UP.

Comment

Let's see what it looks like after Australian Customs and Quarantine have finished with it?

I only hope I remember to take some photos when I pick it up. Honestly, it gives me nightmares thinking about how fucked it could be after those clowns mess with it.

The sooner it is safely in my hands the sooner I will sleep easy. The uncertainty of not knowing the final cost nor the condition it might arrive in is not enjoyable for me.

Comment

Apparently, it should arrive in Adelaide 5th of August.

Comment

Working...
                                X