Open Wheeler Toy

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clearly I whipped up a little trolley to carry the transaxle, I priced the overhead rail &etc. but given I've got the quarantine bill hanging like the Sword Of Damocles over my head, along with the annual BOC bill and Rates Bill for the country block.....I decided not to go ahead with that.

I shuffled the rest of the car forward, and am confident I can shuffle it a bit further and cleanly get the engine off the back of the chassis.
    " Racing cars don't have doors. Toilets have doors" : Keke Rosberg

Comment

Another day where work took a backseat to racecar.

I stripped the dry sump gubbins from the broken engine then removed the carcass from the chassis. Having got it on the ground I swapped the front pulleys to the replacement engine and removed the timing covers in preparation to remove the cylinder head on #4 (the cyl. with no comp.). Having got the cylinder head off, all of the pistons looked just fine, a glance at the cylinder head of course revealed a valve partially open. The bloody thing had split another valve retainer and dropped a valve!

So I popped the head back on and slid the engine under the bench, for another day......

I spent the rest of the day getting the replacement fitted to the chassis, I'll continue with that tomorrow afternoon.

Comment

Oh! And I'm still somewhat befuddled at just how quick the hillclimber is. At its last dyno outing, just a couple of weeks ago, it recorded an earth shattering 138 rwkw. WTF ?

So, it doesn't have much power, it's still made predominantly from mild steel, it's got a pair of dirt speedway tyres on the rear and a pair of 'hand me down' wets on the front, Nissan Navara shocks all round. Surely it has no right to be as quick as it is.

The engine is making around 10 kw more at the wheels than a standard one at the flywheel, so we are not really setting the world on fire there.

It's all a bit hard to fathom.

Comment

Bloody customers, interrupting racecar day. I did manage to make some headway and all is going well.

Whilst I was out and about with paying work, I popped into Chris, my engine man and was telling him of our second split retainer and dropped valve. He observed that of course with boost on the back of the valve our effective spring pressure is reduced and so is our valve float threshold. I'd not given that any thought. Of course it stands to reason and is true, but I just hadn't given it a moments thought.

His answer of course was to direct me to the Supertech catalogue where I might find a valve spring retainers and collets set for approx. $1200...... Ah, yes I've seen them online for circa $500 USD. If I didn't have a Cosworth slated to replace the Mazda, it would certainly be my next expenditure. I'm torn at this point, because the Mazda motor has been such a good thing and is working so well for the limited spend. For the cost of a mere 4 long engines (or a 1/3 of the shipping cost of Cosworth) we could perhaps extend the rev range, horsepower and life of the Mazda engine....

David studied the video of the boost gauge and came up with 11 seconds of boost during a 34 second run, I'm not sure what to read into that.......

Hoping I can get it all back together and running again tomorrow.

Comment

Replacement engine installation complete, brakes bled, wheels back on all ready to go for next sunday, apparently it is forecast to rain next sunday, all is normal.

Comment

YAY ! We are up and running again. Praise be to the IT gurus.

Fuck, have I got some catching up to do.....meanwhile the sun is shining, so I'd be better served being in the shed, I'll take the camera.......

Comment

So, continuing from racecar is ready to go for a hillclimb, must have been sunday the 9th I reckon....well fuck me, if he didn't do one run up the hill with the replacement low kilometre motor, and didn't return down the return road as he should have! Turns out the engine cut out when he lifted off the throttle to slow for the turn into the return road and he was stranded there for a few minutes till another competitor came to his assistance.

On his return to the pits the engine could only be coaxed into life and wouldn't run below 2500-3000 revs, a quick compression test revealed only 100 psi in all cylinders. That certainly had me scratching my head. I was a little emotional, the sun was shining and the day was lovely for hillclimbing as we packed the car on the trailer, I was calm but quite gutted and puzzled.

We had started the day with a nice fresh engine, tyres were good to go, everything seemed right. Even now the engine was still running, clearly not broken but somehow fucked? On this day, a nice day, the kind of day we turn up every time hoping for, hoping to catch that window of opportunity to better our previous best. My only consolation was that I could find nothing that I'd done wrong, indeed there was nothing that I could blame David for either. It really irked me.

There was a train of thought that perhaps it was timing belt related? The engine had done 111K km so should have had one fitted, but had it? no sticker on the cam belt cover? So I split the car and checked that first. No, all perfect. Fuck. OK heads off. Sweet as, WTF! a couple of pistons out, perfect. Fucked if I know?

It dawned on me as I was driving down to see Chris my engine machinist, to ask his opinion, lifter pump up? I've heard about it, but never experienced it. Could the hydraulic lash adjusters over extend and hold the valve open? But surely when the engine was off they would bleed down again.

Chris picked my brain for a while making sure I'd checked the things he thought I should have checked. By the end of the conversation we were both confident lifter pump up was the issue.

I reassembled the cams into a head and sure enough, the valves were off their seats, enough to drop the compression pressure and cause our issue.

I've since spoken to Ben, his view "ha, the engine is too new, go back to one with more k's" and "your reving it too hard"

So there you have it, too good an engine. Who would have thought?

Comment

Of course in the meantime a Cosworth had been making it's way across the globe. it arrived in Melbourne on the 5th ( Adelaide hasn't got a container terminal!) and eventually made it's way to a depot in Adelaide where it was quarantine inspected, (for no further dollars, YAY) and released for pick up. So I collected that on monday 17th, much excitement !

I've been flat out, unpacking, inspecting and trying to make sense of what I have and what I haven't. I'm still discovering....

One thing that I didn't immediately pick up was 2 missing main bearing caps, I was initially rather dark about them being missing but hey, I didn't ask, he didn't tell......So I launched into getting that sorted. I found a local guru machinist who is in his latter years and still works from his home in Adelaide's inner suburbs. He seemed pleased to have a Cosworth block in his workshop and had no qualms about taking the job on. It turns out he and Chris worked together years ago and retain a mutual appreciation.

Alongside that, we missed a hillclimb last weekend, sunday 23rd and again it was a nice day weather wise, but what can one do, I'm not as young as I once was there is only so much I can do.

The racecar is largely back together, I've added a shim (flat washer) under the inlet valve spring to put a bit more pressure on the valve to counter the boost pressure and I used a pair of old heads that had previously done service and not caused issue. I'm rather hoping that the valve retainer failures are related more to valve float than spring pressure, otherwise the additional pressure from the washer under the springs could be a bad move.

The next event is the S.A. championship, over 3 days, so I'm rather hoping for a reliable run......

So as a reflection brought about by the forum being hacked, I see the first page of this thread, where I was mating a Toyota Echo engine and a Subaru Brumby transaxle.......how things have escalated, here we are on page 115 with a Cosworth V8 to be prepared to bolt up to a Formula 1 transaxle. WTF !

Hmmm I was going to upload a couple of photos here but that's not happened?

It turns out that large parts of my Cosworth, aren't in fact Cosworth! There was a company, Oberdorfer Casting, that made replacement heads and cam carriers, and indeed it would seem that the larger amount of these components that I have are by Oberdorfer. Another interesting piece of evolution, the spacing of the exhaust valves changed, from 1.35" to 1.50" I suspect this was done to deal with the larger heat build up in the turbocharged engine.

Besides the missing main bearing caps there isn't a single nut, washer or bolt included. All of the studs are still there fortunately. There are an amazing number of 10-32 ( 3/16 unf) socket head screws in one of these engines, I bought 150 a couple of days ago, and I've already run out of one length....

I'm loving the looking and learning involved with this project, feeling optimistic right now.

If I were a more internet savvy soul, I reckon I'd start a Facebook page "Cosworth V8 buy sell swap" I'm managing to make some contacts and get the inside running on bits and pieces but an open forum may be even better. I look at it from my perspective, I've a great pile of parts that could be well useful to others, multiple magnesium covers, spare pump sets, spare crank, timing cover, multiple timing gears, hell even 2 spare cylinder heads.....but I'm short 4 conrods,16 cam followers and 2 sleeves....

Comment

Roy the forum has been borked for a couple of weeks, I was expecting a new chassis and a completed Cosworth installed. You are slowing down!
                    I'm looking forward to seeing the pics of your dfx, glad it arrived after much effort and false starts

Comment

Fantastic that it has arrived.

Comment

x3
                        .... because every driver experiences the destructive potential of the effortless surge of power available through the smallest of body movements.

Dr Hoon

DrNick is king!!!! No, Mark Webber is now! Long live the king!... hold on a minute mate, Ricci is in charge now

Comment

Originally posted by Komdotkom View Post
                          Roy the forum has been borked for a couple of weeks, I was expecting a new chassis and a completed Cosworth installed.
                          My money was on a new carbon chassis and negative pressure exhaust fan.

Comment

My apologies guys.

Yes I'm getting slower, I can reveal however that as of the moment everything is paid for, there is no money owed on anything related to the racecar. I feel this is an important position for me, probably even more so in these uncertain times.

I've been foraging further through the parts I have, unfortunately finding further worn out or tired parts. Nothing that actually changes anything except the volume of useable spares, some pretty discussion pieces/mementos though.

It seems that I have a couple of Cosworth head castings and 1 Cosworth cam carrier, the rest are Oberdorfer.

It seems that the cam followers are shared with the Cosworth BDG, I was rather hoping to find they were more common than that....

Comment

A very productive day in the shed, bloody nice day weather wise as well, just a good day all round.

I concentrated initially on getting the hillclimber back together, but when I thought I was finished the batteries didn't have enough grunt to start it. So I put them on charge and continued fussing about with cosworth cylinder heads.

I had a moment of enlightenment, Duckworth is a bloody genius. I mean we all know he must be fairly switched on to have created such a successfull engine, but the way he did it is amazing. Especially when one considers the timescale involved. What brought me to this conclusion was the ambidextrous nature of the cylinder heads. Each piece can be used on the opposite bank. To the point that even the camshafts, all 4 of them are identical ! Left, right, inlet, exhaust, all exactly the same ! 1 cylinder head casting, 1 cam carrier casting, 1 cam cover casting, 1 camshaft grind.

Amazing.

Comment

The DFV heads were doubled up FV kent heads weren't they?

Comment

Working...
                                X