No announcement yet.

Open Wheeler Toy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes, the US is being hard to contact at the moment, something about a pandemic?

" Racing cars don't have doors. Toilets have doors" : Keke Rosberg

Comment

So having heard the nay sayers, I decided to consult with Des, Des is another engine machinist, of equal experience to Chris. I explained the whys and wherefores and what I wanted to do. He explained that he had made a set of radial spacers of the same purpose for an aluminium small block chev. many years ago, that he was satisfied he had done everything right and could see no issue, but, was still doubtfull. However the engine went on to complete a speedway season, was stripped down at the end of the year and nothing was to be noted, it had worked perfectly. He reiterated that it was all about getting the bearing crush right, but if it was there should be no issue. Apparently for a period it was also something that was done to fit chev 350 cranks into chev 400 blocks prior to one of the bearing manufacturers coming out with spacer bearings to suit.

Now I have great regard for the members of PF, but I have even greater regard for these 2 engine machinists who I've known for 30+ years each, so I'll hang my hat on what they say.

Comment

Much though I like to keep things rolling along ( if I lose interest things might just stop and never restart) I can see I'm going to have to accept a slowing of progress on Cosworth. Between the effects of Covid on dealing with the U.S. and the larger sums of money involved in an 8 cylinder race engine I can see that I will not be able to sustain my usual pace of progress.

As long as I continue making progress I'll have to hope I can maintain interest and motivation to see the project finished. Right now it feels a little overwhelming, so many parts I need to source, so much to bring together and so many potential suppliers to try to contact in the midst of Covid. While the U.S. are recording 60 000 new cases daily!

I trust if I continue doing what I can do, I only hope that in time I can source the parts from the U.S. further down the track.

The Cosworth DF has 2 oversizes for the crank tunnel, so STD. +.007 and +.014 then there are 4 undersizes for the crankshaft, so, STD, -.001, -.010, -.020,and -.030 Does that make it a total range of 15 different bearing sets? And here I am 30 years after they ceased use in racing, looking for one particular set, whilst not being able to contact users in half of the market, yep, bit of an uphill push.

Best I concentrate on what I can do and trust that conditions will improve in the U.S. in due course...

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP1115 (2).JPG
Views:	365
Size:	744.7 KB
ID:	7188672Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP1116 (2).JPG
Views:	361
Size:	930.5 KB
ID:	7188673 Among other things, I've found the time to split the car and pop the cams out of the Mazda Motor

Disturbingly, there were no split retainers, no errant collets and everything was looking just fine. Damn!

This can only mean I buttoned the engine together with a random valve collet drifting around in it somewhere! Disturbing.

Now the question is...Do I take the sump off and lift a bearing cap? Or do I trust that no noise means no issue?

Hmmmm...... I'm quite running out of enthusiasm, perhaps best I button the top end back together and then contemplate the next move, no rush.

Comment

I've just been watching HP Academy.......yep, that's motorsport. They are some cluey guys and they are going through issues as well.

Comment

After a good relaxing weekend, sensible thought returns and it is bloody obvious that I need to remove the sump and sort out why the valve collet managed to make it's way into the dry sump pump past or through the pieces of mesh over the pick up holes, and while there pop a couple of big end caps off and inspect the bearings.

I've re-established contact with the owner of another DFX block in Australia and we may strike a trade deal with some parts I have for the block, if nothing else I need a couple of liners and it would be nice to have a set of piston squirters also.

I also managed to procure a HANS device for the right price, it's interesting that different branches of motorsport using the same safety equipment have different rules regarding the length of service of the same equipment..... Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP1117 (2).JPG
Views:	288
Size:	566.8 KB
ID:	7190096
              Last edited by Roy928tt; 25-10-20, 08:40 PM.

Comment

Do you have a multi stage pump? Any clues to be had there? Any (albeit very remote) possibility that it travelled โ€šupstreamโ€˜ against oil flow (but presumably with gravity) entering the outlet port of a stage thus getting into the pump body?
                Originally posted by Keith Duckworth
                "I think that in a racing engine, the closer it is to disintegrating, in general the better its performance will be "

Comment

I'll get the sump off this week and have a look......

And when I do I'll also ensure that there is no way this can happen in the future, as mentioned before the mesh was quite awkward to weld to the sump, I'm thinking there will be epoxy in the future.

Everything is at a standstill at the moment, whilst negotiations take place on the 2nd block....interestingly, in order to try to get a handle on what value to put on components I started putting values on the larger items, aiming to come up to the cost thus far. This was a heartening exercise, it demonstrated that when viewed from this perspective despite the amount spent there is still good value in the complete package.

Youtube has been suggesting that I'd like view some clown fitting a Judd V10 into a new Supra, I tried to watch a piece, he had the Judd on an engine stand and a Holinger gearbox on the bench. Blind Freddy could see the 2 were not meant for each other and the shit he was dribbling.......

I just can't comprehend the thought behind it, the purpose of it, it's lost on me.

Comment

I managed to find some time in the shed today, and it was a pleasure, just tooling along.

I discovered that whilst I have 16 pistons, I only have 8 gudgeon pins.....and there are actually 3 slightly different styles of piston ?

I had an epiphany, some time last night. I've long been pondering where the EFI injectors were going to be fitted, and it fell into my head that they could actually be mounted inside the plenum chamber!

This had me digging out the inlet manifold from it's hiding place and some serious inspection of how things might fit, fuel rail and injectors were dug out and measurements made, more measurements and calculations, it got so serious I was making drawings and calculation distances ( none of this usually happens, usually an idea falls into my head and I just make it) I even went to the extent of building a little jig to mount the inlet runners so that they would be easier to drill. Unheard of !

It turned out that if I did everything quite right, there would be space enough for the injectors to fit in the original bosses with the fuel rail running straight through the middle supplying all of them, just sweeet.

Name:	IMGP1133 (2).JPG
Views:	187
Size:	623.6 KB
ID:	7191953

The flash has reflected off the newly machined surface.......it is just a larger stepped hole to fit the EFI injector.

Name:	IMGP1132 (2).JPG
Views:	187
Size:	618.5 KB
ID:	7191954

The layout under the manifold.

Name:	IMGP1134 (2).JPG
Views:	186
Size:	785.4 KB
ID:	7191955

The inverted view.

The manifold is a Penske item, indeed the Penske part number starts with PC12, incredibly the Penske PC12 has already been mentioned in this thread! Post 896 page 60. It was for sale for a measly 25K USD a couple of years ago, it was such a poor effort from Penske that they abandoned the car early in the season, ordering a pair of Newey designed March cars to use for their succesfull Indy campaign.

I'm well pleased with progress today, fitting the injectors had been on my mind for some time now and I'm pleased with the way it has panned out. Now, there may be some question about spraying fuel straight across the runner? I'm trusting that with an idle speed of 2000-2300 rpm it's not going to be an issue?

I've not had contact back regarding a second engine block, and I'm realising that even if I had another I don't think I'd stop with the one I already have, for if I don't attempt to put it to use. Who would? And I'm not sure I can live with that, after the emotional and fiscal toll of getting the thing here. Having determined that I had to ring Chris and tell him to continue.

I've asked Connaught engines in England to see if they can supply 4 liners and fire rings, lets see how that goes.......

Comment

As an aside, I noticed at a customers' place the other day that the resident RX8 was getting very dusty/dirty looked like it hadn't moved for some time.....I found the owner and inquired. Apex seals, so another one bites the dust, it seems they really are not a viable thing to repair. Some say the RX8 is one of the finest chassis ever built, seems a pity to see it go begging. Of course If I had vast amounts of time and enthusiasm I'd procure the car and fit a boosted KL V6 to it. Remember that the RX8 is essentially a lengthened MX5 chassis, and there is a kit to fit KL to MX5. I can't imagine it being too hard to fit the KL to RX8. Both being Mazda is a nice touch and the KL doesn't mind 7800 rpm it's not quite the 9000 of the rotary, but they last much longer.

I had a bit of a moment this morning, shifting burnt tree stumps around with the tractor......I managed to hit the tractor oil filter on a big rock and it spewed oil everywhere!! This meant that I needed to pop down to Sprints to pick up an oil filter....as I walked past the back of the Porsche I realised I hadn't driven it for some months, so I fired it up and drove it to pick up the oil filter. Which reminded me that whilst it isn't an exotic chassis ( underpinings of a VW Beetle) the 50/50 weight balance with the transaxle delivers a delightfull nuanced drive ( I must fix the gearchange though) and despite the prosaic source of the engine it goes alright. It can stay a little longer.....

Comment

Or..... A bit left field.......

Why not rescue the RX8 and get the extra bits needed to build a Cosworth for it??????

Surely it would be a fun drive and a fun project for a man of your talents with an end rest that may rival the driveability and road manners of the 928.

Comment

LOL not forgetting that the Cosworth has 320 degrees of cam duration and Idles at 2000-2300 rpm.......

Comment

So it keeps the sound similar to the chook cooker it replaces......๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜
                            Last edited by PXL265; 31-10-20, 03:19 PM.

Comment

The RX8 is similar to the NC MX5. From memory the KL kits are for the older NA and NB MX5s, noting interchangeable with the NC.

Cosworth RX8 would be sensational. :D
                              Rust is lighter than carbon fibre.

My Italian 510

Comment

I got an answer from Connaught engines.....they have no 85.6 mm liners....

That left me a bit flat and unsure how to move forward. Maybe it's too hard, maybe I've rather wasted all this money so far.......maybe I'd be smarter to stop now before I waste heaps more?
                                Last edited by Roy928tt; 03-11-20, 05:20 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X