Name:	IMGP1204.JPG
Views:	252
Size:	2.55 MB
ID:	7226084Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP1205.JPG
Views:	246
Size:	2.66 MB
ID:	7226085

Block No.1 with a full set of liners and Block No. 2 with a full set of bottom end studs.

A quick check reveals that yes the Leyland P76 bearings will fit inside the Ford Big Block bearings in the tunnel of Block No. 2.
    " Racing cars don't have doors. Toilets have doors" : Keke Rosberg

Comment

Bit of an Off Topic rant today. The nopics and I went down to the Coorong to celebrate her birthday over the weekend. We went on a boat tour down the Coorong for a bit and learned about the area and it's history.

I've travelled, I think I can even say I've travelled extensively. Within Australia, the story is always the same, decimation of the indigenous population and destruction of the delicate ecological balance. Because I've never been diagnosed as Autistic or having traits of an Aspergian, I don't suppose I can claim to be. But bloody hell it doesn't half depress me to see the state of our country. I fell into quite a funk yesterday, couldn't lift a finger to do anything, just lay about the house pondering the meaning of life etc. I take my anti depressants and I can generally cope, but to see and understand the immense damage that white settlement and farming has done to what was a globally unique wetlands is wrenching.

My employment with Mining and Oil & Gas companies has taken me to many remote sensitive arid environments and whilst those industries are no saints, it is farmers and graziers that have really destroyed vast swathes of our country. The sheer scale of vegetation removal and damage to the topsoil is not always apparent, till you witness a preserved area and realise just how different it is.

If I feel unwell about the damage to this unique continent we live on, imagine if your ancestors had lived here forever and your being was inexorably linked to the wellbeing of the environment around you? Is it any wonder they want to call it Invasion Day.

Normal service to resume this evening, got a little oil leak to fix on racecar.

Comment

I’m far from the depressive type but agree, whole patches of bush land bulldozed for identical mcmansion housing estates. My area was renowned for koalas but between greedy developers and chlamydia they’re essentially extinct from this region.
        Originally posted by Walt Kowalski
        Memes are only detectable by NSA.

Comment

New Housing estates, don't get me started, Why do they all have black roofs? Grrr...

Anyway, I patched up the oil leak, bled the rear brakes, swapped the battery into the motorkhana special and started it. Topped up the oil in the racecar and made another couple of studs for the DFX main bearings, it seems I've made 15 studs, 11 of which have been rejected ....I need to lift my game in regards to quality control!

We've a practice motorkhana on saturday and the MSCA presentation picnic / display on sunday, I intend taking the racecar and a DFX in pieces as a display.

Comment

I had asked Mark at Rhemac to see if he could source me a set of piston rings. When he gave the description, bore size, 1mm top, 1mm 2nd, 4 mm oil, his supplier asked " Cosworth F1 ?" oh well I guess at least they know their stuff.

So they are under way, that's just another $750 I need to find !

Comment

I see the new McLaren Artura has been revealed, V6 turbo, hybrid. I'm loving the reverse gear, because it's got an electric motor between the engine and the gearbox, they simply drive the gearbox backward with that rather than having a reverse gear, simply genius. I do wonder if Gordon Murray missed a trick there on the T50, his motor/generator is on the front of the crank.

Comment

Originally posted by Roy928tt View Post
                I had asked Mark at Rhemac to see if he could source me a set of piston rings. When he gave the description, bore size, 1mm top, 1mm 2nd, 4 mm oil, his supplier asked " Cosworth F1 ?" oh well I guess at least they know their stuff.

So they are under way, that's just another $750 I need to find !
                OMG $750 for piston rings.
                You certainly are determined to get the Cossie on track Roy .

Comment

What am I to do? I've got the larger part of 2 of the greatest racing engine ever built in my shed, it would be sacrilege to leave them to gather dust and rust.

The nopics would break it down and say ' It's only $75 per piston ( I 'm buying 10 of each ring) or $25 per ring'. . . .

It's one of those things about going to a larger number of cylinders, the numbers of everything multiply, 8 injectors,24 piston rings, 32 valves, 64 valve springs.

If I had my time again it would be a Honda K24 !

Comment

But then it wouldn't be a Cosworth.......

Comment

That first startup is going to be the most amazingly satisfying experience!

Comment

Originally posted by 36 View Post
                        That first startup is going to be the most amazingly satisfying experience!
                        Yes, I shouldn't forget just how far I've come. At the start of this thread I was putting a Toyota Echo engine onto a Subaru Brumby transaxle to create a little racing car, now I'm building an F1 engine to fit to the F1 gearbox in racing car No. 2 . . .

Comment

It was a long hot day out at the Mallala skidpan today, but Young David grabbed the opportunity to really show his abilities in a motorkhana special.

Dave Beames (6 times Aust. Champ.)was there offering guidance and David apparently was soaking it up.

The Manta ran OK, it still has a slow leak in one front tyre, a steering rack boot sprung a leak and the exhaust mount finally parted company but given the fact it ran even more than it would have with it's usual 3 drivers on a regular day I'm not unhappy. All will be sorted out before the next 'khana in 3 weeks. I'll have to swap some tyres around also, as he wore out the inside edge of the front tyres, those tyres were 10 years old but had always been stored well and it was amazing to see just how goopy sticky they were at times today.

All in all he vindicated the effort I had put in to getting him into a 'khana special, "some say" if you can motorkhana well you can do well in any motorsport, I believe that to be true on evidence I've seen, and I think I'd trust David to drive anything rapidly.

Very Happy, and a bit sunburnt.....

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP1206.JPG
Views:	128
Size:	2.77 MB
ID:	7229363

I drove this out of the shed and onto the trailer on sunday morning, clearly my recollection of the power to weight of this thing was dimming, what an animal of a thing. More proof that messing with Cosworths is sheer stupidity.

Meanwhile a couple of mates had been discussing progress and pondering why I would think that reconstructing a Cosworth from a pile of parts would be easy. my position on this is that, I'd embarked on building a full size open wheeler for hillclimbing, the cars I wished to emulate were the cars of my youth, Peter Holinger, Roger Harrison, Kym Rohlach etc. these cars ran Collingrove in circa 31.5 sec. Having created the vehicle, in a short couple of years we eclipsed that time. Quite honestly there was no great difficulty in doing that ( mostly it was getting the right tyre). So, why would reconstructing a Cosworth be that hard?

I can't deny it is being challenging, more so than I anticipated and the easiest way to reduce the challenge is to spend, not my preferred manner.

Comment

I've had a bit of a realisation, a few people have mentioned that at least the completed running engine will have a greater value than the incomplete pile of parts. I hadn't given this much attention, because as part of my racecar it's not being sold. Slowly it dawned on me that perhaps I should increase my scope and aim to complete 2 engines, one after the other. Complete block No.1 with the intention of fitting it to my car get it run in and tuned and put it up for sale. If I can sell that, use the funds to buy the required components to complete Block No.2 ( Quill hub, cam covers, rods, gudgeon pins & etc.) and whatever has gone with engine No.1( manifolds, EFI hardware, turbos?)

I'm happy to be left with the Dodgy Double Bearing, Massey Ferguson Liners, bitsa motor, I've no doubt it will be fine for what we do.

Hmm, maybe that would be the wrong way about, perhaps make No.2 run first, then knowing that the D.D.B. works, pull that engine and swap everything over to No.1, install that, prove it is good and put it up for sale. Knowing that No.2 is good to go when complete.

Comment

Arseholes, cunts that just don't give a fuck about other people to the point they willfully fuck over unknown victims.

I guess I'm fortunate that I rarely encounter them but in the last 48 hours I've had to accept that I've been affected by 2 of them. I hope I never become like them, I never want to be THAT bitter, twisted and cynical.

I'd hope to retain a sense of fair play in everything I do. Cue: The Mighty Mighty Bosstones, The Impression That I Get. . . .

Fucking ignorant cunts, mighty glad it's a rare occurrence for me but I feel for those not so fortunate.

On the flipside I finished a larger job today and should be able to afford to buy a HANS helmet on friday, looking forward to that and getting back in my racecar.

Comment

Working...
                                X