• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fark Sake ! Some people just don't get it. Click image for larger version

Name:	167012718_1877761652376566_4292326742431656569_n.jpg
Views:	264
Size:	135.5 KB
ID:	7242029

I commented that the rear upright, clearly a bespoke billet component, was a bit amateurish. I mean why have a separate toe adjuster, why not incorporate it into an "N" shaped lower arm? and why put the load of the suspension through a rod end (lower ball joint) instead of a spherical bearing with no threaded section in a bending motion. So the whole thing is heavier and more complex than it needs to be.

Apparently now I'm the idiot?

I didn't spend money getting that upright built.
    " Racing cars don't have doors. Toilets have doors" : Keke Rosberg

Comment

Originally posted by Roy928tt View Post
      Fark Sake ! Some people just don't get it. Click image for larger version

Name:	167012718_1877761652376566_4292326742431656569_n.jpg
Views:	264
Size:	135.5 KB
ID:	7242029

I commented that the rear upright, clearly a bespoke billet component, was a bit amateurish. I mean why have a separate toe adjuster, why not incorporate it into an "N" shaped lower arm? and why put the load of the suspension through a rod end (lower ball joint) instead of a spherical bearing with no threaded section in a bending motion. So the whole thing is heavier and more complex than it needs to be.

Apparently now I'm the idiot?

Who Cares TBH

I read your thread for updates on Hill climbs, Mazda V6 Love or Cosworth nothing else matters

Comment

Just thinking ahead to the 4WS setup. Always a reason for things being the way they are, but it is not always obvious. Too often it is laziness or convenience though.

Comment

Originally posted by Roy928tt
          Saw the car on the SS page the other day. If not mistaken, looks like a production upright off a pommy "kit" car designed for the front end, which I think is actually cast rather than machined- hence the weird toe adjustment lay-out.

Clearly a low dollar build with the RHS and Winters. Wishbones hark back to sports sedan practice of 30+ years ago though, possibly the lower arm is just to ball park length initially? The amount of shank exposed on the LH uppers, might be a production boo-boo, to just make that display, worrying otherwise if the tolerances are that different from one side to the other.

Comment

I was a bystander in that thread watching on. The way you went about it there was no other way it was going to end. Maybe approach it better next time.
            Rust is lighter than carbon fibre.

My Italian 510

Comment

Originally posted by Guido View Post
              I was a bystander in that thread watching on. The way you went about it there was no other way it was going to end. Maybe approach it better next time.
              What forum was this on? Not that I'm after an internet fistfight, just like watching these sorts of builds.

Comment

Originally posted by mrniceguy View Post

What forum was this on? Not that I'm after an internet fistfight, just like watching these sorts of builds.
                SA Sports Sedans page on Facebook.
                Rust is lighter than carbon fibre.

My Italian 510

Comment

Originally posted by Guido View Post
                  Yeah, I'm not a very diplomatic person. Much better as a mechanic. The point still stands, Has Sot done that before? because it looks amateurish. Every time I create a car, by the time it's 'complete' I know how I'd improve it next time....

It's incredible to think that the uprights on my car are constructed of 1.2 mm thick sheetmetal, and held the 15"wide rear wheel on an F1 car at 200 mph! God only knows what they would think of that.

Still.

One of the posters reminded me of the AWD Magna that was thrown together for my then 71 y.o. father to drive in Dirt Circuit, what a giggle. I'd bought it ($400 damaged car auction) thinking it would fit in the 'Street Stock' class, but no. It then sat around for months whilst I enjoyed my O/W. My father then suggested he'd like a go, so the windows were kicked out and barwork installed, 71 painted on the door and off he went.

It was not shabby even though he was in the top sedan class up against ex speedway super sedans, that led to the addition of a Chinabay turbo half a dozen auxiliary injectors and a Microsquirt to control them. LOL I don't think he ever won but fuck it made a lot of people look silly, seeing a $2000 family car harassing $60 000 vehicles with huge tyres and wound up small block Chevs.

I feel sorry for those who work, to earn, to spend on racecars. Only to see much of the money spent, isn't spent on speed.

In the meantime, with my newly acquired safety gear, I'm looking forward to getting back behind the wheel of my car that scares me.

Comment

Speaking of my father, he swung past this afternoon to let me know he had sold his current abode and will be moving into the straw bale house he has been building for the last few years ( a fair effort for an 80yo). Because of reasons this reduces my 'mortgage' from $800 /month to $500 sweeeet.

Comment

Originally posted by stb View Post
                      Just thinking ahead to the 4WS setup. Always a reason for things being the way they are, but it is not always obvious. Too often it is laziness or convenience though.
                      What's a bet that the uprights on the front are the same?

It puzzles me as to why more people don't look at tried and tested designs. You can download Dallara owners manuals that contain drawings of most of the suspension components.
                      Are you optimistic or pessimistic about the end of the world?

Comment

Originally posted by Old Major View Post

What's a bet that the uprights on the front are the same?

It puzzles me as to why more people don't look at tried and tested designs. You can download Dallara owners manuals that have drawings of most of the suspension components.
                        I would have been more understanding if the fronts were the same, but they are not. Apparently the rears are ambidextrous as are the fronts. If I were to look harder I'd wonder why the chassis isn't narrower and the suspension arms longer but probably better I not look at all.

Comment

I wonder what the bumpsteer curve will look like?

Comment

Originally posted by Old Major View Post
                            I wonder what the bumpsteer curve will look like?
                            I hadn't given that any thought, but now I do, it will be as good as it can be with that configuration but would be better if configured as the rear end of my car is.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP0898.JPG
Views:	134
Size:	2.58 MB
ID:	7242819

Which kinda highlights my whole point, the car owner had entrusted the suspension geometry and uprights to an engineer and shock technician, if I'd paid someone to come up the above layout I'd be pretty pissed with the results. Hence my comment about whether he had done anything like that before, it looks like a first attempt. Every time I "finish" a car I've already got the upgrades for the next one churning around in my head ways to do it smarter and cheaper next time.

It's a pity the old photos on this thread are lost, they document the learning experience, from the Mazda uprights to the triangular uprights they were replaced with on the little green car. Little triangular uprights to fit inside the 13" wheel complete with the spring/shock assembly attached to the upright not the suspension arm.

Comment

When people start talking about safety in motorsport I look at things like this and remember that it wasn't always like that, drivers of old put their big balls on the line.

Apparently this thing was good for 250 mph!

Click image for larger version

Name:	shadow mk 1.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	126.1 KB
ID:	7242851

The mechanic in this photo bears a resemblance to Smokey Yunick and he was a Chev guy . . .That's a 670 hp big block stuffed in the back there.

George Follmer a regular driver of this Shadow Mk.1 is still alive and well !

Comment

My idea of safety isn't to make up for poor design by upspeccing the size of the components.

Comment

Working...
                                X