No announcement yet.

Open Wheeler Toy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not great on the nose that's for sure. Goes great in your hair to.
    Mmmmmmmmm beer.

Originally posted by ALLMTR
    You had one fucking job, Imran. One. Now look, there's Flibberty Gibbets all up in here, seeing straight through your ruse. One. Fucking. Job!

Comment

So I unwrapped the wing this morning, hmm mm that's not as bad as I thought it might be, it's not that bad at all, it is still a fibreglass wrapped foam wing profile. I can probably still work with this to make it right ish. Mmm it feels stiff, I propped it up on a pair of bricks and stood in the middle, it didn't break! can't be that bad, I'll roll with it.
      " Racing cars don't have doors. Toilets have doors" : Keke Rosberg

Comment

My latest purchase arrived today, a small block Chev timing gear set.

We'd had an issue with the starter motor, not turning the motor over. It's a 3.2 kw 24V starter from a Mitsubishi Canter, but because it drives the crankshaft directly it works pretty hard. It has always just done it's job, I'd ensure the batteries were fully charged and there would be no issue.

But there it was halfway through the day and simply wouldn't turn the engine over, all manner of remedies were attempted to no avail, but leaving the engine to cool over lunch saw the starter kick it into life so I withdrew and left David to drive allowing longer between runs to let the engine cool.

I can't see anything wrong with the starter motor and at 3.2 kw it's pretty strong (especially for it's size and weight). So I decided to gear it down, with a Chev timing gear set.

Comment

Clever. Can't have you missing seat time.
          Mmmmmmmmm beer.

You had one fucking job, Imran. One. Now look, there's Flibberty Gibbets all up in here, seeing straight through your ruse. One. Fucking. Job!

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	RIMG0012.JPG
Views:	218
Size:	2.60 MB
ID:	7275537Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP1261.JPG
Views:	208
Size:	2.59 MB
ID:	7275538Click image for larger version

Name:	RIMG0011.JPG
Views:	211
Size:	2.64 MB
ID:	7275539Click image for larger version

Name:	RIMG0013.JPG
Views:	212
Size:	2.49 MB
ID:	7275540

Comment

Hit the ground running today! Look at you go!
              Mmmmmmmmm beer.

Comment

It has dawned on me that my admiration of F1 encompasses the period during which the teams were made up of a handfull of competent people, when cars were very much designed by 1 person on a drawing board.

As team size grew and politics became as important as car design It becomes harder to admire the business of F1. One would almost look at the Jordan / Schumacher / Benetton wrangle as a turning point in the way of things. I've long admired Flavio, but these days I'd be more inclined to hark back to the days where a contract was a handshake and nothing more need be done.

I'm in the process of going through my library, having come to the conclusion that I know as much as I would like to know, so there are a heap of books and information that I can let go of.

Comment

My father always told me when you don't want to learn anymore, you stop growing as a person and become close minded and cynical like them wankers doing the dirt racing. Not your style Roy.

Just the same clearing out some old shit you don't need is good to.
                  Last edited by jimmyg; 28-07-21, 03:59 PM.
                  Mmmmmmmmm beer.

Comment

I think I've had enough of learning about racing cars and F1, I've certainly reached the point where I'm not going to learn anything more that I'm going to apply to my own car.

Perhaps I'll go off and research high calibre long range rifle shooting, sniper style and meter out some justice to Christian Porter . . ..

I've long looked at intelligent affordable housing, homelessness is a terrible blight on a developed nation like Australia. Moreso that Australian houses are an abomination, built inside out, uttery poorly and criminally priced. I've a spare 1 acre block that could serve as an experiment. I'm currently being impressed with this https://www.irishvernacular.com/ at least it requires minimum heating or cooling unlike the craptacular standard of Australian houses and could likely do it as a stand alone solar/battery offgrid self sustaining home.

So, no. I'm not about to give up learning, just learning about different things.

My father at the ripe old age of 80 has just 'finished' building a strawbale off grid house for himself, brilliant concept works great but what an incredible amount of work. The 'Irish vernacular' is smaller, less work but embodies the same level of insulation and sealing (but not thermal mass) to provide a comfortable low energy domicile in all climates. & etc.

Meanwhile Chris the engine machinist rang me today and told me to get excited, the tunnel bored dodgy bearing Cosworth block would be ready for pick up tomorrow, I replied that I'd be excited when the crank was ground to suit. So he said he'd call me next week once he'd done that. Then I need to see if we can make the same Massey Ferguson liners fit into that block as we've done to the other . . .

Meanwhile the bearings for the starter motor chain drive have arrived at CBC so I'll pop down and pick them up tomorrow and continue with that on saturday.

Comment

Originally posted by Roy928tt View Post
                      My father at the ripe old age of 80 has just 'finished' building a strawbale off grid house for himself,
                      Where abouts? I would like to build an ecohouse.

Comment

Originally posted by BigJonWB View Post

Where abouts? I would like to build an ecohouse.
                        11 Curb St. Saddleworth just up behind the Gilbert Valley Hotel pub
                        Last edited by Roy928tt; 29-07-21, 07:43 PM.

Comment

Thanks.

We stayed at the Saddleworth caravan park / oval for a few nights last year.

Comment

I'd be keen to follow along if you head down the path of building a healthy home. Have built and renovated with hempcrete, strawbale, hyperadobe/earthbag, cob, lime & clay plasters, round wood/timber framing etc etc.

Try not to let the state of the Earth under humanity's narcissistic abuse crush you. And when you work out how, let me know too please

Comment

I managed to pick up the bearings this morning and spend a little time on the chev chain drive starter this afternoon . . .

Then whilst I was having dinner another phone call from someone looking for random Cosworth DF pieces, luckily I actually had a couple of the parts he was looking for actually surplus to my requirements! Sadly, he was also looking for a DFS crankshaft, the one he has is cracked ! That's no fun. My recollection is that there were only 11 DFS engines, trying to find a crankshaft 35 years later is going to be a stretch.

It was interesting to talk DF with someone else who has one in pieces, the DFS he has has the Nikasil coated aluminium liners whilst mine had cast iron liners, the gudgeon pins in his engine are standard DFV diametre and use DFY style pistons whilst the DFX stuff I have is all 15/16" ( he did note that the gudgeon pins had failed crack testing ! )

It was one of the breakthrough attributes of the Cosworth DFV, that is was standardised and built to production type standards, that parts would be interchangeable between all DFV engines.

In the case of the DFX and the evolution to the DFS the push for change came from Ilmor's 265A Indy engine, prior to leaving Cosworth Mario Illien had updated the DFV to DFY, Ilmor's first project, the one which would forge the foundation for their business was the 265A, Cosworth countered by applying his DFY upgrades to the DFX to create the DFS but it wasn't a match for the 265A.

Meanwhile, John Judd penned the Judd AV yet another 2.65 litre Indy car engine which again kick started his arrival as an engine constructor, it was expanded to become the BV which Honda snapped up and it became the Mugen 308 for use in the Japanese F3000 series. Further evolution grew the capacity to 3.5 litres dubbed the CV it found it's way into the back of Adrian Newey's pretty Miami Blue March/Leyton House 881.

EuroBrun, changed from the Cosworth DFZ they had used in 1988 to the Judd CV in 1989, in doing so they no longer could use the transaxle that mated to the DFZ. From what I can gather, they sold off 2 of the 3 cars, and the spare transaxle with one of them. The 3rd car was converted to become 189T prior to the construction of the 189 cars proper.

And of course that spare transaxle is where we came in . . .

Comment

1 of 11! Yeah that's not going to be a crankshaft you find at pick-a-part. What can he realistically do there? Commission someone to make a replica, or is it a better investment to just light up a hill of $100s?

Comment

Working...
                                X