No announcement yet.

Open Wheeler Toy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chris hasn't managed to track down any valve springs, retainers and collets for a Mazda KL and is starting to explore other avenues.

Meanwhile it transpires that a Radical competed at Roll Racing at The Bend on saturday night, apparently racecars are allowed. That would make an interesting use for the hillclimb car, lets see what come of that idea. It would be nice to open up the car for a longer run and see how the acceleration continues. I imagine that the H pattern gearbox will be a relatively slow thing to operate but the cars overall performance should otherwise hold it's own, I think / hope.

Otherwise the car is sitting in the shed in pieces waiting for valve components. I've been plodding along with finishing the fibreglass wing s l o w l y getting there, motivated by the fact that the 2nd part of the wing has arrived and is very ready to go.

Can't really say I'm looking forward to creating the front wing . . .

Apparently the machine shop that screwed up the Cosworth machining are awaiting delivery of a burr to remachine the slots for the horizontal dowels on the main caps, waiting, waiting . . .

I should be ordering the available bearings from Modatek but I'm reluctant given their obfuscation on the thicker bearings, given there is no alternate supplier I'll have to get over that reluctance. The exchange rate doesn't help motivation.

" Racing cars don't have doors. Toilets have doors" : Keke Rosberg

Comment

How can the currency of a country that can't even keep supplies of fuel up to their service stations be worth so much?

Or maybe it's just that ours is so worthless because we can't organise to order vaccines when advised to by the vaccine producers . . .

Either way many south pacific pesos are on their way to Modatek for Cosworth DF main bearings.

Comment

Roy I found that the postage charges were the biggest problem, plus the exchange rate sucks.

Comment

If it says anything about the state of the world. The burr that the machine shop is waiting for, there is of course one of those at the deceased Adrian D'Guisto's workshop, because he made a couple of main caps for me.

Meanwhile who knows if their burr is keeping the pair of gear ratios I ordered from England company, they arrived in Adelaide on the 29th of Sept. and are in the hands of Cochranes transport but haven't yet made their way to my place . . . .my fear of course is that they will be sent back to sender. The road I live on is in 3 sections and occasionally people can't find my address because they are on the wrong section, indeed maps often show the road being one complete piece . . . what more can I do but give my address, it is correct and does exist?

The search for a better valve retainer continues, there is a final hillclimb in early november, it would be nice to give the car a run then but there's no sense entering till I know the thing can be back together before then.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	fondmetal.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	85.7 KB
ID:	7302942

Fondmetal F1 car

A picture of this popped up on my facebook feed this afternoon, and it reaffirmed my appreciation of F1 in that era. When many chancers with barely enough money tried their chance in the top tier of motorsport. It was still possible to buy a Cosworth V8 and be competitive with that and whilst hydraulic semi auto boxes existed, again, it was possible to be competitive without one.

I find the machines of this era relatable, in that the components are made of materials that one might encounter, in configurations that make sense. Largely because the aero appears plain and easily comprehended. Yet they still represent the pinnacle of motorsport at the time and they are still unique and bespoke racing cars not series production cars even compared with F3000 or group C (Porsche built nearly 200 956/962 series cars)

Meanwhile in the shed I've decided that I'm going to put the hillclimb car back together as it is. I realised that I couldn't remember dropping a valve myself, I'm thinking they have all happened to David. So if I drive it myself it's likely to last longer . . . I can't drive it fast enough to kill it?

Still no sign of the ratios from england . . .

Comment

Yay! Ratios arrived.

Comment

Do you ever listen to the Bring Back V10s podcast Roy? A bit tangential to you DFV interests, but they have a love of old back marker teams from the late 80's and early 90's. Well researched and lots of detail. They just did one episode on Andrea Moda.

Comment

Originally posted by Backmarker View Post
                  Do you ever listen to the Bring Back V10s podcast Roy? A bit tangential to you DFV interests, but they have a love of old back marker teams from the late 80's and early 90's. Well researched and lots of detail. They just did one episode on Andrea Moda.
                  No I haven't yet, will check it out.

I caught an older Motorsport interview/podcast with Jonathon Williams and Dickie Stanford today, I was quite shocked to find that Jonathon hadn't driven an F1 car!

I started putting the hillclimb car back together today, that's going nicely, I'll need to check out the entry for the last hillclimb for the year.

Comment

Woo Hoo ! I received a Cosworth cardboard box today, there were even some bearings in it!

So I loaded the relevant components, block, sump, crank etc. in the car and delivered them to Rhemac for them to do the tunnel boring job on this block and prepare the crank once that is done.

Given that this is october 2021 I've decided that I'll be happy if I get the whole lot back before the end of this financial year, time at least to gather the funds to pay for the work.

I did a couple of hours work this morning on a customers' tractor and managed to find some time to get a bit done on reassembling the hillclimb car all in all a satisfying day.

I'm starting to think I should aim to get both engines running, one N/A the other Turbo in pursuit of that I think I'll start casting around for 8 throttlebodies, 8 X 1 1/4" SU carbies? 8 X Toyota Echo throttles? I'll also need to find another quill hub, I've only got one of those. Thinking I'll try Luigi Moreschi in Italy, I reckon he bought Heini Mader's stuff.

Comment

Full steam ahead.
                      Mmmmmmmmm beer.

Originally posted by ALLMTR
                      You had one fucking job, Imran. One. Now look, there's Flibberty Gibbets all up in here, seeing straight through your ruse. One. Fucking. Job!

Comment

Motorcycle throttle bodies are well made and can be bought used for cheap enough.
                        Lots of minis & mokes including a G13b powered Sports Sedan, a couple of Swift Gtis, a Goggomobil, Porsche 928S, Polo Gti, BMW 540i, a WRX and a few others.

Comment

Ah, yes a quick search reveals plenty of motorbike throttles on ebay USA

Comment

+1 for bike throttle bodies, generally they are made very nicely with flat side shafts and so on. If you select the right ones they can also be a simple clamp on affair which makes manifold fabrication a breeze. A couple of sets from a 'Busa would be perfect

Comment

BMW M5 and M3 V8 throttle bodies can be had from the states at reasonable prices, and you don't have to fuck around removing the secondary throttles that most bike stuff has.
                              "Where can we get hold of a Vincent Black Shadow?" "Whats that?" "A fantastic bike," I said. "The new model is something like two thousand cubic inches, developing two hundred brake-horsepower at four thousand revolutions per minute on a magnesium frame with two styrofoam seats and a total curb weight of exactly two hundred pounds."

Comment

In keeping with a NA engine, would have thought slide throttle, to be appropriate!

On the bike secondaries, no great task to remove them. If not chasing ultimate performance, I think they default to open too?

Comment

Working...
                                X