No announcement yet.

Open Wheeler Toy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah given the other dodginess going on with the engine I think Bike throttles will be just fine.
    " Racing cars don't have doors. Toilets have doors" : Keke Rosberg

Comment

Interest in motorsport is waning again, a few things are resulting in a lack of interest.

I recently realised that I've more than accomplished what I didn't really understand was kinda the aim in the first place. There had been the aim of reaching the 31.5 sec. that Holinger had achieved in my youth, we made that. I hadn't really recognised that I had also become the fastest person there (regularly competing at Collingrove) competing in a car of their own construction. I think combined with the recent revelation that my lap record at Truro Dirt Circuit from 2012 is also still standing reinforced my belief in how I've done what I've done.

Both of these motorsport campaigns were funded by my own labour in my own sole trader business. I'm increasingly thinking, what more do I have to prove? I can fund, construct and campaign vehicles for motorsport disciplines and compete at the pointy end of my chosen competition.

Strangely, I'm still intent on finishing that which is started, Cosworths, Wings....

I'm currently reading a book 'What is the economy for, anyway?' which makes me more than ever question why I would be working at all, to pay for racecar mostly . . . .

Comment

Let it not be said that your a uncomplicated person Roy.

It's the journey not the destination. What would you do with your time without motorsport? Lawn bowls? Golf? Stamps?

I know, bird watching.
        Click image for larger version

Name:	images.jpeg.jpg
Views:	364
Size:	48.5 KB
ID:	7305247
        Last edited by jimmyg; 20-10-21, 02:19 AM.
        Mmmmmmmmm beer.

Originally posted by ALLMTR
        You had one fucking job, Imran. One. Now look, there's Flibberty Gibbets all up in here, seeing straight through your ruse. One. Fucking. Job!

Comment

Originally posted by Faux Forg View Post
          If you've got 10 acres, go and plant a BUNCH of trees to offset your carbon footprint. Do it with a shovel, not a machine. I guarantee, by the time you're done with that you'll want to play race cars again!
          I suspect that Faux Forg has a handy suggestion.

Comment

Hi Roy, not sure if you've seen this yet but watch from the 3 minute mark. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKIjsXUMvhc

Comment

Originally posted by torana19 View Post
              Hi Roy, not sure if you've seen this yet but watch from the 3 minute mark. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKIjsXUMvhc
              WOW ! Thanks for the heads up.

Comment

I was foraging around in the shed recently and found a random old Mini crank thrust bearing.

Having recently purchased a set (2) of genuine Cosworth crank thrust bearings and ultimately needing 2 sets I was keen to see how the Mini bearing compared with the Cosworth piece. At 60 GBP each, a more affordable replacement would be nice.

A quick measure revealed the Mini bearing was the same thickness as the Cosworth piece, unlike the thrust face off the Nissan bearings which is 20 thou too thin.

Setting the Cosworth bearing on the Mini bearing and scribing the outline revealed that there should be sufficient bearing area left after removing material to make it fit. Click image for larger version

Name:	RIMG0068.JPG
Views:	285
Size:	2.56 MB
ID:	7306414Click image for larger version

Name:	RIMG0069.JPG
Views:	277
Size:	2.59 MB
ID:	7306415Click image for larger version

Name:	RIMG0070.JPG
Views:	281
Size:	2.69 MB
ID:	7306416

Comment

Winner winner chicken dinner........

Comment

Ooops! Email sent to Germany for a Eurobrun Cosworth to chassis lower mount . . .

Comment

Received an answer from Germany, wants to sell as a package of parts . . . I have no need for any of the other parts, I'll just make one.

I recently saw a video on a Mclaren 720S GT3X ? basically a 720S GT3 but without the GT3 restrictions . . .a track only car, at 750 peak hp and 1250 kg. Coincidentally the same power to weight as my hillclimb car. It was one of the reasons I built it, to experience the performance of something of epic without spending, what would have bought a fine house in my day.

Wow, I had long linked the price of a 928 to an Aussie house price. Twice the Aussie house price is the cost of a 928 and for the life of the 928 it was fairly accurate. Now you can buy a Panamera Turbo S for $409K but the median house price is over $900 k. I do really feel for younger people trying get into the property market, hell it's not a property market. It's a home it's a place to call your own. It's absurd.

Comment

Rear wing largely finished . . . Click image for larger version

Name:	RIMG0073.JPG
Views:	182
Size:	2.61 MB
ID:	7309594

Comment

Thats mint!!! You must be happy with that?
                          Mmmmmmmmm beer.

You had one fucking job, Imran. One. Now look, there's Flibberty Gibbets all up in here, seeing straight through your ruse. One. Fucking. Job!

Comment

Happy with the rear wing, rather daunted by the fact I need now to build a front wing.

Andre, the CAD designer is nearly finished drawing the Cosworth cam cover. He went and spoke to Harrop castings. They are not enthusiastic about the 3D printing plan. They would rather CNC the required blanks and mould themselves, for a price. I'd HAVE to make it a commercial venture to justify their price. It was not my intention to become a supplier of Cosworth parts. I'm just a busted arse diesel mechanic trying to assemble a Cosworth V8.

I'm not quite sure how that is all going to move forward from here. I did ponder assembling both engines, and just swap the cam covers to whichever one is being used, but if nothing else that means Andre has done all of that work for no result, and that's not fair. If we can get a casting from a 3D print, even if it is only one per print it's probably OK for myself. I'm sure I can live with a casting that looks a bit ordinary, knowing that it's of my own doing.

I'll talk to Mathew at Harrop casting and consult with Ben also.

Meanwhile I'll need to source some more polystyrene foam to start on a front wing.

Comment

Just keep moving forward.
                              Mmmmmmmmm beer.

Comment

Would they be OK in Nylon 3D print? Have you tried other foundries? Engineering – Billmans Foundry

Comment

Working...
                                X