Open Wheeler Toy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks Man

I picked up some more polystyrene foam and started on the front wing yesterday and yes, there will likely be no progress photos of it either. I've brought a different train of thought to construction of the front wing. Instead of trying to do it the 'correct, professional' way, I'll do it the way that worked for me last time and stress not about that.

" Racing cars don't have doors. Toilets have doors" : Keke Rosberg

Comment

Many years ago I had an 850 Mini, it was a lovely thing, fresh engine, matching numbers, Cooper discs on the front. It had no power but it was pure Mini. One day I was commuting between my houses via the Adelaide hills, just buzzing along, when progress was slowed by a Commodore in front of me. It wasn't very old and had a coupe of stickers on the rear "215i" and "Hydratrack" I hadn't been speeding in the Mini but I was now travelling really rather slowly and getting nowhere fast. And little chance of overtaking with all of 34 hp at my disposal.

At that point I remember thinking 'It's not what you drive, but how you drive it'. ( It's not the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog)

I don't consider myself much of a driver, and have never really tried to learn to be better as a mechanic it's as much about building a better/faster mousetrap.

My friend Tony, on the other hand was more dedicated and realised that driving well was as likely to improve lap times as much as more boost. This weekend he is running in the Adelaide Rally, at the pointy end of his class are the usual Porsche GT3, Lotus, Nissan GTR types of thing. Tony took a knife to a gunfight, an early supercharged Bini, 1280kg 120kw, he has been running in the top 6 thus far!

Who knows where he will finish, but it says a lot about driver skill that he has done as well as he is. On paper the car should be well outclassed.

Comment

It's an interesting discussion. Improving a car's performance is a diminishing returns game, but, It dominates the focus for many competitors when focusing on the driver can reap good rewards. Especially at the track.

+1 on a great thread. Always interesting reading.

Comment

Originally posted by 36 View Post
          It's an interesting discussion. Improving a car's performance is a diminishing returns game, but, It dominates the focus for many competitors when focusing on the driver can reap good rewards. Especially at the track.

+1 on a great thread. Always interesting reading.
          Likewise on your thread, you're living the dream.

I now notice that Tony has stacked things as best he can, the class he is in is limited to 130 kph, which is of course a greater limitation for a Porsche GT3 than a Bini and the Bini being almost disposable means the stakes are lower.

Comment

Originally posted by Roy928tt View Post

I now notice that Tony has stacked things as best he can, the class he is in is limited to 130 kph, which is of course a greater limitation for a Porsche GT3 than a Bini and the Bini being almost disposable means the stakes are lower.
            Not to derail things but I had a look and Jack Monkhouse is effectively running 4th O/R in his 180b SSS.

very impressive.

Comment

Originally posted by ifuckingloveCUM!!! View Post

Not to derail things but I had a look and Jack Monkhouse is effectively running 4th O/R in his 180b SSS.

very impressive.
              Fuck yeh!

Again, Jack is a more than handy steerer.

Comment

Ah! So close, Tony out, broke a driveshaft apparently a couple of k's from the end of the last stage.

looks Like Jack Monkhouse carried it through to the end and finishes with a time that would have him 4th outright.

So, in front of Jack's Datsun 180b SSS is a Viper ACR, a Nissan R35 GTR and a Porsche GT2 RS . . .

Comment

Well Jack dies have one of the top examples of automotive engineering to play with.....

But I am biased, having raced one in Street sedans and ipra many years ago.

In fact, it is believed that my car was the only factory fuel injected 180B SSS to be raced in Australia..... And for good reason......

Comment

In a bizarre coincidence I also owned a blue Datsun 180 B SSS coupe for a short period, I turfed the Datsun engine and replaced it with a turbocharged 302 Windsor and C4 . . . it did fine burnouts!

Comment

And so it goes . . .having given up on the Ferrea valve springs and collets/retainers for the Mazda KL, up pops a set for sale! A fella in Canada in need of money is selling off a set, so money is on it's way to there.

Given that that was the money allocated for Carillo Cosworth rods, I thought I'd better check with Rhemac to see what progress was happening on that front. The distributor is no longer even returning his calls ! So that's not going anywhere fast.

Comment

Originally posted by Roy928tt View Post

I stacked it as best I can but I mean I did finish a couple of stages in p6 outright and p1 in class. In a course that has a uphill section with a 40kph slow and go in it. The restricted speed points hurt me bad because it just takes so long to get back up to speed. A 120kw 1280kg fwd vs 1400kg 400kw AWD cars vs 280kw 1000kw lotus cup cars, it's hard work. But I went well in the tight sections and downhill sections.
                        bit dissapointed we did over 250 compedative klms to brake a driveshaft with 1.2klms to go but hey, our first rally and we had a ripper time. Can recommend.
                        Originally Posted by Tut
                        THEY SHOULD ANALYY RAPE THEMSELVES WITH A FUCING CACTUS UPSIDE DOWN WITH COCONIUTS AND PINEABPPLES AS CHRISTMAS BALLS THE FUCKNIG THIEVENG CUNTS ID RATHER DIE FROM HAVING A RAINBOW UNICORN URETHRALLY RAPE ME THAN TO FUCKNIG DO BUSINESS WITH THEM CUTNST EVER AGAN

Comment

It was great to see you out there and giving it a go Tony. It was a relatable campaign, one could imagine putting together a similar effort. On my budget it would take longer to put together but none the less it appeared an attainable prospect.

Harry has been touring in Germany https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7243...&start_radio=1

Having watched that I was rather missing a place I've visited a few times, I have a friend who lives on the Swiss border whom I used to visit every couple of years for a time. She (nopics), delivered me to the hire company when I hired an F40 in that area and I treat her home as mine when in Europe. It's a lovely part of the world and holds happy memories for me.

Comment

Working...
                          X