Announcement

Collapse

All new PerformanceForums is here

The long-awaited upgrade and server move is complete.

Whinge about shit HERE.

Looking for Tapatalk functionality? See this thread.
See more
See less

Open Wheeler Toy

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

personally i would have gone with the GTO engine but...................

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	fuel tank cock up 002.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	2.79 MB
ID:	6591947Oops ! made a bit of a cock up, somewhere along the way, the dimensions of where the fuel tank was to go, became the dimensions of the fuel tank.

The bloody thing is supposed to go UNDER that bar !

The fuel tank was coming along nicely, till I realised that the pump/gauge unit didn't reach the bottom of the tank ? Then I tried to fit the whole unit where it has to go, DOH !

Oh well, just have to start again, lesson learned....
      " Racing cars don't have doors. Toilets have doors" : Keke Rosberg

Comment

Name:	fuel tank cock up 003.JPG
Size:	2.82 MB
ID:	6591954

Any fuel where the tape measure is, is purely ballast.

Ballast has no place on a race car (unless there is a minimum weight for class)

GTO engine ? Nah mate, the V8 Nazi's reckon those rubber band Mitsi motors are rubbish, gotta have a timing chain !

1NZ all the way- got timing chain - must be good !

Comment

Name:	radiator 001.JPG
Size:	2.82 MB
ID:	6591969

I started on Fuel tank #2 this afternoon, but stopped when I needed to get it folded up, tomorrow...

So I returned to the radiator and whipped up a top bracket, yes the radiator is mounted upside down, the outlet for the bottom hose cuts a lower line because it is at 45 degrees. I just smeared silicon on a self tapper and screwed it into the overflow fitting and put a cap where a cap belongs. The Echo will donate it's radiator filler fitting and that will go in the engine bay. I intend running a couple of aluminium pipes from the engine bay to the radiator, in the period it was popular to run the coolant through the chassis tubes !

I purchased a couple of 3/4 " trailer brake master cylinders and they will become the brake master cylinders with a bias bar between them and the pedal....another $40 spent....

Comment

More good progress today, I got the 2nd fuel tank folded up, then cut the hole for the 'swirl pot' and pump/gauge unit. The speedway quik steer arrived, another $200 spent..... I started making a couple of mounting blocks for the steering rack and salvaged the fuel filler tube from the Echo to determine what diameter the fuel filler on the tank needs to be.

I think next will be the front bulkhead and front suspension points on the chassis and I need to find a nice small steering wheel...

Comment

So I managed to cut out and weld in a front bulkhead, with a bulge in it to clear the bottom radiator hose, that gave me something to mount the steering rack onto. So I carefully measured up where that aught to be and went about mounting that.

lets see how correct that turns out ?

With the Steering rack mounted and the quick steer in hand, I mounted the quick steer and created a steering column, only to look at it this morning and decide that I wasn't happy with the position of the quick steer, cut it off and start again....

Ah well that is the way it goes...

Comment

Still faffing around with the mounting of the quick steer.....

I've determined that I need a 300 mm diameter steering wheel, being that they are harder to find I've cut the shape out of 6 mm alloy plate (4 mm would have been fine) I'm thinking now that I'll form the grip from body filler any other suggestions ? (CAMS don't allow wood)

I need to move on to pedals soon, determine whether the clutch will be cable or hydraulic, cable will likely win out as that is how the Subaru Brumby donor operated. I'll just need Flexible Drive Agencies to whip up a long one,same with the accelerator pedal I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by Roy928tt View Post
                  I've determined that I need a 300 mm diameter steering wheel, being that they are harder to find I've cut the shape out of 6 mm alloy plate (4 mm would have been fine) I'm thinking now that I'll form the grip from body filler any other suggestions ? (CAMS don't allow wood)
                  The wheel off my old racer is like that. Just take it to a car upholsterer and they can sort all that out.

Comment

YAY I finally got the steering all sorted out today, I'll get a photo up tomorrow.

Having sorted that out, I got onto McGill motorsport and ordered the required rod ends & etc to construct the front suspension arms, whilst on there I noted that they have 300 mm steering wheels so I bought one of those as well !

Meanwhile I reckon I'll make a start on the gearchange mechanism soon.

Comment

I was forced to have a bit of a clean up in the shed today, I got a bit distracted yesterday and routered out of a chunk of Polyurethane foam a rough mould for a steering wheel, finding an old tin of bog I mixed the contents with the remains of the hardener and poured it into the crude mould. In preparation for this I'd drilled a ring of holes through the steering wheel so I pushed the steering wheel down into the bog and it squeezed through the holes and reformed on the topside of the alloy. In a few minutes the bog was going of, with quite a bit of heat I must add. So I smashed the foam from the increasingly hard bog and set into it with a file and angle grinder trying to rough out the shape before the bog got really hard.

The consequence of all this was polyurethane dust, smashed foam and bog dust everywhere..........

Comment

So I had a mighty mess to deal with this morning.

Having got the place kinda tidy again I decided to have a look at an accelerator pedal.

In my previous racecars I'd always used a reworked Magna Pedal ( they were Magna powered) So I started with the same component......Faaark what a headfuck ! It took much of the afternoon to dick around with a dozen variations before I came up with some thing that I'm pleased with the operation of, it works beautifully, but it is UGLY !

I haven't come up with a prettier solution yet, so it can wait....

Comment

Oh, and the steering wheel

Well I didn't have a curved bit for the router so the mould spat out a steering wheel with a square section, but a bit of work with a rasp and a die grinder and it is shaping up alright.....prettier than the accelerator pedal at least !

Comment

pics?
                            Mit freundlichen Gre

Originally posted by Keith Duckworth
                            "I think that in a racing engine, the closer it is to disintegrating, in general the better its performance will be "

Comment

Sorry, here we are, Quick steer and steering column/ rack

Name:	steering 001.JPG
Size:	2.66 MB
ID:	6592164

The worlds ugliest accelerator pedal

Name:	steering 003.JPG
Size:	2.76 MB
ID:	6592165

And one mans attempt at creating a steering wheel

Name:	steering 004.JPG
Size:	2.65 MB
ID:	6592166

Right, I think I aught to get down there and insert the missing chassis tubes....

Comment

Well I managed to fit the tubes to the chassis that were missing and finished roughing out the steering wheel.

Right now I'm thinking I should start on forming the plug or mould for the nosecone, my intention is to roll with a single abbreviated nosecone in fiberglass and a rolled aluminium panel along the side to the rear radius rods. I think that is as much as is required. I don't wish do any more fiberglass/body work than is absolutely necessary.

The local mechanical genius has the engine and gearbox, and has been tasked with joining the 2 together, however not only is his wife pregnant but the man known as bp18t has just bought a new race car and that will be demanding attention also so patience may be required....

Comment

Working...
                                X