Announcement

Collapse

All new PerformanceForums is here

The long-awaited upgrade and server move is complete.

Whinge about shit HERE.

Looking for Tapatalk functionality? See this thread.
See more
See less

Open Wheeler Toy

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Was trying to work out the handles in the starter then realised it's only in place to start the car then gets removed to save weight? Awesome!
    GAS 260Z RB26DET
    GAS 1600 3SGE BEAMS

Comment

AWESOME ? not convinced, the remote starter and lack of reverse gear, yeah all very "Full Race", but I can see that it could actually be just a pain in the arse.

One of my main trains of thought with buying the "complete" rear end was thinking that I would have the suspension pick up points, suspension arms and uprights all pre sorted. Whilst that is true, the lack of internals in the gearbox whilst I was aware of it I have under estimated the cost of. I had figured 'they are common, can't be that expensive?' as it turns out Hewland never actually produced a 6 speed FG box. They produced components for those who "converted" 5 speed to 6 speed but it wasn't something you could buy from Hewland. The case had to be made by the team, Euro Racing, Williams, McLaren, Ligier...whoever. The case was made to fit the regular Hewland input shaft, 1st gear shaft, selector housing & etc., Hewland pinion and differential & output flanges but there was no provision within the case for the reverse gear idler stub shaft. Instead the space liberated by deleting reverse gear was used for 1st gear, requiring a unique 6 speed 1st gear shaft and the rest of the gears just stack up on that and the pinion shaft. There was a vestigial reverse fitted in the back of the selector housing to comply with the rules, the ratio of which rendered it useless for driving the car rearward.I have no idea yet how this reverse was engaged and being that I don't have these gears may never work it out...

So whilst I could see the gear sets themselves were 100 to 150 British Pounds. It would be the hubs that carry the dog rings that would be the expensive bit. Regular ones turn up for around 100 Pounds, the ones I needed of course come for 2 1/2 times that price !

So the smart thinking of buying a "complete" rear end is starting to wane......I've recently sent $2250 to the UK to aquire the internals for the gearbox, Oh! internals for 4 gears.... I neither need nor wish to afford the other 2, yet.

Despite all of that, I still know I had to buy a transaxle, and they don't come cheap...

Click image for larger version

Name:	Euro Brun rear end.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	250.6 KB
ID:	6610211

LOL and there I was thinking I'd caught up with spending, of course not, I'd rather forgotten that the guberment takes GST on parts that were produced before the tax was invented....

I received that email on sunday and was planning my monday to gather some cash together to cover the anticipated bill. Of course "the best laid plans of mice and men" and I ended up 60 kilometres from where I expected working on a cream separator at a dairy rather than a forklift and tractor at a market garden...fortunately my customers understand that the only reason I work is to fund my racecar, so when the bill was written it was the usual work of fiction but this time it was what I anticipated I needed rather than any reflection on what was done....."I'll be owe you some" said I and the money is already in my account......Is it any wonder I love my customers.

Having sorted that out, I came home, had lunch ( at 3 pm) and headed down to the shed. I fitted the fuel pump to the 'in tank' unit and installed that in the tank then sat the tank in situ and started on mounting it there. While I had the welder in hand I added a couple of gussets and capped the ends of 4 open tubes and generally started tidying things up....a nice little bit of progress.
      " Racing cars don't have doors. Toilets have doors" : Keke Rosberg

Comment

Well what can I say? This will be for sure the last racecar I build, I don't want to afford it anymore. Nearly $500 in charges to bring in the $2250 of parts, fuck this shit, I'm done with paying the government.

Meantime I managed to grab a few more hours this afternoon to mount the fuel tank, finish some tubework behind the seat and start to get serious about mounting the seat. Things are coming along nicely, maybe I'll be ready to paint the chassis by the end of the weekend? I've still got the front suspension to conjure up but I have the concept in my head....

Comment

Must.Stop.Browesing.Racecarsdirect.com

PI System 2 Dash and Datalogger...250 Euro

Hmmm

Comment

Sensibly I didn't think about a PI dash at all today.

Rather I gave some thought as to how to mount the seat and where the lugs for the harness attachments would need to go.

I managed to get all of those things fitted today and found myself sitting in the seat, helmet on with a length of steel tube in one hand and a block of wood in the other......working out where the roll bar needs to go.

I need to trip into Adelaide tomorrow to pick up parts for work, so I will swing past Walker Chassis and give Lance the sample piece for the roll hoop. I need to reread the CAMS manual regarding braces and work out where they need to go.

I'm expecting to finish the rest of the welding tomorrow and hope to take friday to work out the front end geometry and start welding on that or welding that on

All being well I'm hoping to paint the chassis 'soon' then start to assemble it in earnest. In a nod to my income source and my level of sophistication it is my intention to paint the chassis in Massey Ferguson Grey and panel work in MF Red.

Name:	fuel tank 002.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	2.76 MB
ID:	6610247

Someone was looking for a photo of the fuel tank? Not much to see here, I calculated it holds about 16 litres it has a 'false floor' inside to form a swirl pot around the pick up and can be seen sitting in situ in a previous picture. Just a modified filler neck and filler hose and cap from the donor Telstar.

Comment

Hmm so much for smashing out bulk work on friday. I did spend a good amount of time in the shed but didn't achieve as much as I had hoped. I did plot the layout for the front suspension arms and fabricated and tacked to the chassis 6 of the 8 attachments for the rod ends. So progress, but I had wished to complete all welding and paint the chassis...maybe tomorrow...

Comment

Tank came up great! :)
                Mmmmmmmmm beer.:)

Originally posted by ALLMTR
                You had one fucking job, Imran. One. Now look, there's Flibberty Gibbets all up in here, seeing straight through your ruse. One. Fucking. Job!

Comment

Name:	gears 001.JPG
Size:	2.93 MB
ID:	6610313

This bunch of gearbox parts cost nigh on half the spend on the little hillclimber below.

Name:	003.JPG
Views:	3
Size:	2.78 MB
ID:	6610314

Somehow I reckon I've got myself onto a very slippery slope, I can't see the new car being 3 or 4 times the fun of the old car? lets see....

Comment

You've takin a big bite. Now you chew like fuck. ;)
                    Mmmmmmmmm beer.:)

Originally posted by ALLMTR
                    You had one fucking job, Imran. One. Now look, there's Flibberty Gibbets all up in here, seeing straight through your ruse. One. Fucking. Job!

Comment

Name:	painted chassis 003.JPG
Size:	2.89 MB
ID:	6610316

Upside down Miss Jane!

Every thing else in the shed has taken on a grey tinge as well, but I don't really care as long as this thing is completely covered ....

I'm very happy, it absolutely wasn't the day for painting weather wise, cold and rainy, but industrial enamel is as forgiving as any paint. It will be fit for purpose, slowing rust.

Comment

I had to finally face doing something I didn't want to do today, actually 2 things, but more about that later.

Having painted the chassis it was time to start bolting things into it. One of the first things were to be the master cylinders but I couldn't remember which sizes were in the little hillclimber, I could see 3/4 cast on the side of one but the other ? no Idea. Given that the new car, Faux1, has the same brake calipers and similar weight split front to rear I figured that using the same master cylinders would get it within a coooeee of the right bias. So I had to remove the pedal, loosen the mounting bolts and measure the bore of the 2nd master cylinder....7/8".

As fortune would have it I had a spare of each size kicking around so they got fitted to Faux1 and while I was there I scrounged up a T piece and fitted that to the 7/8" front master cylinder. Having got them in place I set about completing the brake pedal. I like to make the pedal pad adjustable so that it can be set at the same height as the accelerator pedal. For that I needed a threaded bush on the pedal upright into which I could screw the pedal pad. Unfortunately I only had some 16mm threaded bar so had to make it fit that...turned that up in the lathe and run a tap down it, but that was as far as I got today.

About a week ago I had a moment with my Ryobi electric drill, I was drilling something steel with a 14mm drill bit when the drill grabbed and tore itself out of my hand. Bent then broke the drill bit, killed 1st gear in the drill and did nasty things to my right hand little finger. Being a dumb arse bloke I resolved to ignore the pain and swelling in the little finger, hell, I can still move it! It must be OK. Well a week later, the swelling has gone down but it is no longer the shape it used to be and is still rather tender. Mutter fuck Mumble Fuck better go see the quack...off to get x rays...I had a quick glance at the xrays at the radiologist, doesn't look broken to me, I'm a mechanic, we know these things. So I'll be back to see the quack tomorrow morning, cutting into racecar time :-(

Comment

Shame the duct tape field dressing didn't work (my go to for shed accidents that are trying to derail your shed time) this time. Keep it up, will make the first skids all the more fun (yet to skid my own project so I better be right).
                          GAS 260Z RB26DET
                          GAS 1600 3SGE BEAMS

Comment

I know the feeling- there is nothing more infuriating than missing garage time because of stupid man flu, burnt fingers etc. It's that much time longer before you can turn the wheel.

Comment

Bah, bloody doctor says I do have a fracture, the tendon has torn a piece of bone out, she wasn't to stressed about it. Referred me to the local hospital, they rang me mid afternoon to tell me I had an appointment....on september 18th. I said you might as well cancel that I'll be fixed by then....

So onward and upward. I got the brake pedal finished, so now I have 3 pedals as cars should have.Click image for larger version

Name:	3pedals 002.JPG
Size:	2.82 MB
ID:	6610366

I then decided that I needed to get the "race" engine up onto the bench. Which meant removing it from the donor Ford Telstar

Name:	3pedals 004.JPG
Size:	2.95 MB
ID:	6610367

Name:	3pedals 005.JPG
Size:	2.95 MB
ID:	6610368

I hoisted it up and rolled it along to the back of the built table and refitted a bellhousing and starter motor. The intention is to get it running again and strip of the parts and wiring that are not required and keep it in a running condition whilst it is fitted to the chassis and the transmission / dry sump is fitted. ultimately I would like the car to be "finished" with still the standard wiring and ECU allowing the car to run and move itself prior to converting to programmable ECU and E85. Even to the point of having the 2 turbos draw through the standard AFM...prior to going MAP sensed. One step at a time...

One of the final components has been roughed out, I've had 3 flywheels laser cut, they are ready to be picked up and the last little bits of machining to be done. I guess I'd better pull my finger out and turn up a spigot bush for the back of the crankshaft...

Looking forward to another day in the shed tomorrow. I'm having sunday off to go up to Collingrove to check out the SA Championships.

Comment

Another good day in the shed, I managed to get the engine hooked up and started again and continued to remove superfluous bits and pieces. I got everything stripped off the motor that I could and out of the the wiring loom. I wanted to remove the standard inlet manifold and fit the one I had built, but the Throttle Position Switch is different and not easily swapped. I'm not yet sure how to get around this ...

So then I started on swapping the dry sump pump over...but the day was brought to an end about there.

Looking forward to seeing the field tomorrow....

Comment

Working...
                                X