Open Wheeler Toy

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good shit Roy. Backyard engineering at its finest!

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	upper arms 004.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	2.82 MB
ID:	6592928

So that is where the nosecone is up to and I got the upper front arms together in the last couple of days. I've also received a welded fuel tank. It can be seen where it is to be fitted, behind the seat.

In case you're wondering about the colour, it will match the Mini, complete with stripe !

Name:	009.JPG
Views:	2
Size:	2.77 MB
ID:	6592929
      " Racing cars don't have doors. Toilets have doors" : Keke Rosberg

Comment

Need to add some numbers to the tally, $100 for Fiberglass resin, catalyst and paint, and $360 for the Rod ends, spherical brgs, bias bar and steering wheel. I had the fiberglass mat kicking around from when I did the NACA ducts for the Porsche and the PU foam I acquired from a customer.

I'm looking forward to creating the lower front arms tomorrow and getting it on it's wheels.

I've just realised that the place with my sheet of alloy is on Christmas break till the 5th......that's gunna slow things a little !

I'm sure I'll find things to keep me amused......

Comment

Rapid progress is rapid
          Mit freundlichen Gre

Originally posted by Keith Duckworth
          "I think that in a racing engine, the closer it is to disintegrating, in general the better its performance will be "

Comment

Name:	4 wheels 003.JPG
Size:	2.68 MB
ID:	6592956

Finally got to the point where I can hang 4 wheels on it, I guess I'll need to look into what I'll need in the way of coilovers for the front and sort out the steering arms...

Comment

very cool Roy nice work.
              Originally posted by thebluerx7
              The fact they want to ban cash makes me want to go out and use it full time again now .

Comment

What front uprights? We're looking at Gemini due to seeing a few hill climbers using them.
                Tow car/camping bus: 2011 D40 Navara ST

Baby mobile: 2016 Nissan Qashqai

75 Mini Clubman club racer - DCOE powah

Comment

I've just been reading the 991 gt3 thread in street cars, more power, less weight, more power less weight till it becomes unstreetable.......

Then, you might as well have a lightweight little racing car.....

Cheaper to run the less weight you have, uses less brakes and tyre. I don't know what a GT3 weighs but I'll take a punt at 1200 kg, so that is 3 times the weight of a light racecar ( formula Ford ?) FF probably has a higher power to weight ratio and costs less for tyres and brakes. It's a no brainer really.

But boys will be boys ! Gotta have the loud uncomfortable road car.

As for the uprights on my little jigger, they are mentioned in the text, twice.

Comment

Well that is it for this year. I got one side of the steering sorted, only to realise that the rack wasn't in the centre when I marked out the length and cocked it up ! to short, she cried.

I'll have to sort that out next year...

Cheers All.

Comment

I've managed to sneak a few hours in the shed around festive dinners and etc.

I managed to get the front end / steering arms sorted then got onto the brake box, I bought a balance bar assembly from McGill motorsports so I had to fit that into a pedal and box with the trailer brake master cylinders. This is what I finished with.

Name:	brake box 001.JPG
Size:	2.96 MB
ID:	6593009

And sitting in situ

Name:	brake box 004.JPG
Size:	2.68 MB
ID:	6593010

I expect that will be it now till next year, pack the trailer and head off for a week away...

Comment

Cool project.

Comment

WooHoo my man has joined the gearbox to the engine.

So I can pick up that tomorrow and work on making it fit.

Meanwhile more evil plans are afoot...

Comment

So I managed to get to pick up my driveline this morning, despite the closed roads for the bushfire.Click image for larger version

Name:	driveline meet chassis 002.JPG
Size:	2.71 MB
ID:	6593226
                            It doesn't quite fit well, but the chassis is mild steel so no problem to rework things to make it fit better. Driveshaft angles are always going to be sub par but in the big picture it just doesn't matter.Click image for larger version

Name:	driveline meet chassis 004.JPG
Size:	2.64 MB
ID:	6593227

Comment

Faaark What a day !

I've been messing around with the wiring. Prior to removing the engine from the donor car I stripped the wiring out and down to what seemed to be needed to run the engine. On receiving the engine back I was keen to see it start up again. So I jury rigged it all up and lo and behold it started !

So I started laying out the wiring where it needed to be and removed any unnecessary wires, dash & etc. starting the motor occasionally to check it was still running. This was all good till I started wrapping it and discovered a wire from the engine temp sender going nowhere - Now, I don't know everything, but I do know engine temp is an ECU input and that is what this wire should do, but do you think I can work out where it needs to go?

I've 2 other Echo's, they both have a different ECU to the donor ! The interweb describes a 2 pin temp sender, All 3 of mine are 3 pin ?

Baaaaahh!!

I was keen to retain the original ECU as a cost reduction but at the moment it's not looking good.

Comment

Promising news, well maybe. apparently on detecting a fault (ie. open circuit) Toyota assumes that everything is normal and the ECU runs the engine as if it is at 80 degrees C, might make cold starts awkward ?

Lets see.....

Comment

Working...
                                X