Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What a fabulous day.

Having got the Faux 1 running, I continued on and did what I thought was required to the transaxle to run it for a little longer. Sady there are a couple of leaks to be dealt with. Parts that I haven't had apart and presumed would be OK.

Still, I could run it up and check that the clutch and gearbox are working, very happy, both of them are working, gearbox is a bit notchy but.....

My local Dirt circuit club were holding their last meeting for the year and I had recently clarified my ban with the club, turns out, I may attend meetings but can't join the club... So I scooted out there to catch up with some and see how things have changed. I caught up with some whom I was happy to and encountered my nemesis, he called me a maggot and a wanker...no change there then....happily though, his big block had expired and his car was on it's trailer... I watched till a couple of cars collided whilst griding up, nothing's changed.....

So I came home and got on with tidying up the wiring for the Mazda V6. I'm very happy with the way it has come out, the ECU and fuse box will tuck nicely in behind the seat. Happily (that word is being used a lot today) The engine started and ran perfectly after all of that.

So I took some photos

Click image for larger version

Name:	running 002.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	2.88 MB
ID:	6611207
    Very happy that the 24 volt starter works as well as it does. And I've got to say there is something kinda cool about slotting the starter onto the back of the box and feeling it writhe around and the engine bursts into life, sweet.

So I thought I'd take a photo of it running, but the fast exposure of the flash catches the blades as if they are still.

Name:	running 003.JPG
Size:	2.70 MB
ID:	6611208

So I took another photo without flash....

Name:	running 004.JPG
Size:	2.78 MB
ID:	6611209

Unsurprisingly I'm feeling rather stoked
    " Racing cars don't have doors. Toilets have doors" : Keke Rosberg

Comment

Awesome progress.

So jealous of your skills in putting this together.

Sent from my XT1635-02 using Tapatalk

Comment

Time to move to the front end...

Name:	002.JPG
Size:	2.89 MB
ID:	6611231

Looking forward to joining the dots.

Comment

Good job!

Comment

This is going to be awesome...!

Comment

Assembled some bits I had previously prepared and cut some steel...

Name:	front end 004.JPG
Size:	2.84 MB
ID:	6611240

I can see I'm going to have to revisit a couple of the suspension mounts on the chassis...

Comment

Ah Bollocks!! I had started on suspension arms last night then I ran out of mig wire.....so I wandered into my steel supplier and picked up a 4.5 kg roll this morning....seemed expensive but It's been quite a while since I bought some....of course when I went to fit it to the machine, it's a different colour, oh! it's gasless wire, dickhead! I had no one to blame but myself but I'll have to head back tomorrow morning and see what deal can be done....

Comment

Ah, the guys at the steel supplier gave me a full refund and sold me a roll of the correct wire. but I've had an escalation of work since then and haven't got back to the Faux 1.

I did make time to get up to Collingrove for saturday, I am heartened to see the number of the quickest cars that are owner built. I think nothing spoils motorsport more than cubic dollar builds with no idea of what they are doing. Goodness they are fast though....

Seeing Doug Barry's Lola did make me realise that an LS would likely be quicker up the hill than the Mazda 2.5 V6 turbo. The reason being the tall first gear ratio (that will not be getting replaced) the wider torque spread of the V8 would be expected to work better with that than the peakier V6.....time will tell.....I guess shorter tyres will help...ah lets get it together and up there first.

Comment

Twin charge.....

Comment

Talking to brett hayward, 275hp and 290kg is enough for a 27sec run.

I went up on sunday, was like being inside a sandblasting cabinet.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
                      Tow car/camping bus: 2011 D40 Navara ST

Baby mobile: 2016 Nissan Qashqai

75 Mini Clubman club racer - DCOE powah

Comment

I'd need a talent transplant to achieve a 27, even in Brett's car.

It was great to see the fast guys heading up the hill, Brett's car certainly has some grunt, I'm not sure what you have to do to create a 1600cc Hayabusa engine but it certainly has the goods.

No progress of late but patience is a virtue...

Comment

One of these is a Wheel Nut Socket, the other is handy for spark plugs....

Name:	003.JPG
Size:	2.67 MB
ID:	6611315

Comment

I really enjoy watching your builds take shape, I would love to have the space, patience and skill to create something like this. Keep it up mate!

Comment

Ha ha ha, that's an insane socket. 55mm! Lucky there's only one. What size impact wrench do you need for that, can't see you undoing it at the track very easily.
                              GAS 260Z RB26DET
                              GAS 1600 3SGE BEAMS

Comment

Originally posted by Roy928tt View Post
                                I'm not sure what you have to do to create a 1600cc Hayabusa engine but it certainly has the goods.
                                Bore and stroke - relatively common.
                                "Where can we get hold of a Vincent Black Shadow?" "Whats that?" "A fantastic bike," I said. "The new model is something like two thousand cubic inches, developing two hundred brake-horsepower at four thousand revolutions per minute on a magnesium frame with two styrofoam seats and a total curb weight of exactly two hundred pounds."

Comment

Working...
                                X