Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looks like so much fun... now put the twin turbo V6 in it! :D
    #WHOTW award winner #blessed #susanalbumparty

Comment

I took it out today for a shakedown, just the little Kart and Drift track at Pt Gawler. What a laugh, straight out of the box it just seemed to do everything right, a little adjustment of the brake bias and there was more confidence in the stopping ability. As I did more laps and got more accustomed to it I discovered that I would break first, the padded tub is no substitute for a racing seat ! And my back and neck started to ache from trying to hold myself in place as it hurtled around the track, the little 185/60-14s doing there best to hold on. It is biddable, you can squeeze the throttle for a little more oversteer or lean on the front for a little more understeer, but isn't simply intent on pitching you of the circuit.
      " Racing cars don't have doors. Toilets have doors" : Keke Rosberg

Comment

Been meaning to ask about the pullrod springing on the rear - Bellvilles?
        "Where can we get hold of a Vincent Black Shadow?" "Whats that?" "A fantastic bike," I said. "The new model is something like two thousand cubic inches, developing two hundred brake-horsepower at four thousand revolutions per minute on a magnesium frame with two styrofoam seats and a total curb weight of exactly two hundred pounds."

Comment

If you used smaller profile tyres on 13" rims, would you then be able to wind up the suspension creating a better angle for the c.v joints?
          NA8B 89KW- P.I. 1:50.1, WNTN1:38.0, SDWN 1:27.6, WKFLD 1:10.4
          NB8B 181KW- P.I 1:43.8, WNTN 1:32.9, SDWN 1:22.0, BDFD 1:05.3
          VP 293KW- P.I 1:43.8 WNTN 1:33.5

Comment

Yes, they are sold as disc springs, front and rear, fronts are hidden in the shockers.

No Fucks given about driveshaft angles. Apparently it will consume a little power to turn them at the current angle, no shortage of power, no problem.

Current line of thinking for the next one is an Eaton supercharged Duratec 3.0 V6 for 300 hp/ 500kg......600hp/Tonne ?

Comment

I managed to source a suitable fitting Kart seat yesterday, Thank You Gavin, and am well into fitting it. I intend to finish that this morning and take it out for another run at Pt. Gawler.

Comment

Oh, and design of fabricated front hubs is well under way, I struck a deal with Andre, who is embarking on a Midlana build that if he did the CAD work on the replacements he could have the old Mazda hubs.

Of course that will mean new wishbones and mounts on the chassis, but it is all just mild steel so no problem to cut off and replace.

after that of course will be the rear hubs....

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-05-04 20_52_02-SolidWorks Premium 2014 x64 Edition - [Upright Assembly _].png
Views:	1
Size:	88.8 KB
ID:	6595533

An early image of the upright.

It uses the rear Echo hub which simply bolts on, over that will go the Echo front disc and some caliper I found round the back of the shed, that is lighter than the Echo front caliper. Might be a Magna rear ?

When you are trying to stop only a 350 kg car it's not so critical.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	gavins seat 001.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	2.75 MB
ID:	6595547

What a difference a seat makes, pity about the weather, it was clear when I got to Pt. Gawler but it came in as I unloaded the car. A fine misty rain, enough to make everything wet, and slippery. I tried to get the brake balance right but ran out of adjustment, couldn't get enough pressure to the rears. I'll have to change one of the master cylinders, probably go up to 7/8 for the front as I've got one of them kicking around somewhere.

I need to shorten the upper arms on the front to get me a bit more negative camber adjustment. I'll probably do that over the weekend and be ready for another test drive on Monday.

Comment

Sounds like a hoot, congrats on getting it going.

Comment

So cool congrats
                        Originally posted by thebluerx7
                        The fact they want to ban cash makes me want to go out and use it full time again now .

Comment

Thanks for the kind messages, the car is thanks enough in itself.

It is such a hoot to drive, an effort well worth going through and I haven't even driven it up a hill yet ! I think I'll be looking at the 26th or 27th for its hillclimb debut.

I changed the brake cylinder this morning and modified the top arms, I'm in the midst of creating new upper mounts for the front spring/shock assembly to put them on an even lower angle to soften them a little, see if I get a little more weight transfer to the front...

I've discovered that the Akerman angle of the Mazda uprights doesn't quite suit the current chassis and I'm not getting toe out on turns which will leave me with understeer no matter what I do elsewhere. As I've promised the uprights to Andre I will not bend the steering arms to rectify this, but will wait till I've a new fabricated set and get it right on them.

Comment

Onya mate, vids of it running/ driving?

Comment

I'm not really one of those people, if I had the money for a Go Pro or such, I'd probably spend it on a set of harnesses, and I can't video myself whilst driving it.

When I finally get to a hillclimb I'm sure one of my acquaintances can video my efforts.

Comment

So you started the build in November, and you're driving it around in May. Is this a PF record? Amazing work.

Comment

Working...
                                X