Open Wheeler Toy

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes, Young David started a thread in the 'motorsport' section, and has uploaded a video to youtube, it had been linked to the thread before the outages, I'm not sure what the current position is....

We are entered for a hillclimb this sunday, but have decided not to compete due to the woeful weather being forcast.
    " Racing cars don't have doors. Toilets have doors" : Keke Rosberg

Comment

Just put up a video from last weekend.
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QiVkRf6pSFI

Comment

That's awesome.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
        Tow car/camping bus: 2011 D40 Navara ST

Baby mobile: 2016 Nissan Qashqai

75 Mini Clubman club racer - DCOE powah

Comment

Very rapid

Comment

Originally posted by da9jeff View Post
            That's awesome.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
            Quoted for truth

Sent from my G8141 using Tapatalk

1998 MX5 - Ohlins DFV coilovers, Roll bar,15 x7.5 Konig Litespeeds, Mania Intake
            2014 Colorado LT - Oversized Whitegoods. Kid/bike/track hack/horse hauler.

Comment

Fuck me, nice drive! It's got some poke

Comment

It's got some poke, not a whole heap.....I like to think 300 flywheel HP pushing 475 kg = 600hp/tonne

So, If you've got that in the shed. Why the hell would you leave it in the shed when there is an opportunity to stretch it's legs? Staying at home on sunday was a stupid betrayal of myself and the car, just because it may be cold and wet, harden up princess! You built the damn thing to use, use it!

The way the car reacts is unlike anything I've experienced, I put it down to the light "flywheel" and severely trimmed harmonic balancer, coupled to the 6 little cylinders and the reasonably light car. The flywheel is barely a mounting disc for the 184 mm clutch ( remember the starter is off car). The harmonic balancer was found to not require any pulleys so they and any extra weight was removed. The pulley that drives the drysump pump and the waterpump is tiny and is actually welded onto a socket that fits over the harmonic balancer bolt, that bolt being drilled and tapped to fit a retaining bolt for that socket. Fit for purpose.

The engine responds rapidly and the car does as the engine bids, assuming the tyres grip.

It is certainly an entertaining car to drive, and I trust we can cajole more speed out of it in due course

Comment

So, we are off to Collingrove tomorrow, again the weather is not predicted to be at all nice, but we will be there to give it a red hot go. If we get a reasonable run at it we should be able to trim a little more time off.

I see we have another Porsche 911 GT3 among the PF Racers. I'm afraid I just couldn't bring myself to own a rear engined car. To my mind it is so fundamentally wrong, just like having the entire drivetrain in front of the front axle like a conventional FWD car. For me it is Mid engine or front engine rear transaxle. The front engine rear transaxle is actually the most stable configuration, over on Pistonheads, Flemke,"-Is this your McLaren?", who has owned an impressive selection of supercars, and who's opinion I find worthy, has said the Mercedes SLS is a more stable package up to and beyond the limits than anything else he had driven. This from a guy who is modifying his McLaren F1.......

I've reworked the spring pack on the front of my car, we were hitting the ground with the front of the car. so I've added more stiffness at the end of the spring stroke, hopefully it responds as desired.

Speaking of Porsches I had to move the 924 today, and am looking forward to getting it onto historic registration soon so I can get a little use out of it when the inkling strikes.

Comment

What a day, in not the best way. Once again the weather was very disappointing, each of us got only one dry run before I noticed an issue with the car.

Another cold day hanging around in the misty rain waiting for a break in the weather and a dry track to emerge, no fun. Then just as it looks like it will clear up I noticed that the start shaft out the back of the gearbox can move in and out about 8 mm, there is supposed to be a nut on there holding it into the bearing, I'm guessing the nut has come loose, it was done up with a couple of Dugga Dugga's. There is however supposed to be a split pin go through it and the shaft, but because F1 that doesn't happen. So I'll have to figure a way of locking that nut on there......

David's one dry run was a blinder, he was very excited when he returned and scurried of to find what the time was, only to find that he had clipped a marker ! Apparently his first split was 5.6 sec, I don't recall having ever seen such a quick first split from anybody.

We are just hanging out for a clear dry day to try to get some good runs in.

Comment

Weather is on the turn now mate, you'll get a few good days soon. I can't wait to see some more video of this ting in favourable conditions.

Comment

Today the weather was absolutely stunning. Making yesterday seem even more galling....

Comment

Sorry if you’ve answered this before but what diameter tubing did you use for the frame?
                          "Beware the lollipop of mediocrity: lick it once and you'll suck forever" Brian Wilson

Comment

32 (1 1/4") ERW for the 4 main tubes and 25 (1") for the cross braces...It was a loose copy of the old car, which was a loose copy of an early BT Brabham, and all the BT tube frames were very similar, just evolution of the previous design....

Comment

I've been having a once in a lifetime clean out of my shed, It has progressed very well and I've uncovered things from many years past. This afternoon I took a moment to flick through an old issue of Racing car News from early 1988 that I had turned up. The Eggenberger Sierra saga had had it's day, Prost and Senna had started the year of acrimony, and Peter Holinger had done a 31.67 up Collingrove Hillclimb.

I'm pleased to be knocking on the door of that time.

Comment

LOL I've been following this French woman on facebook,"Kick the world", a mate of mine crossed paths with her out the back of Meekatharra trundling along on a 20" wheeled kick scooter....She left France 3 yrs ago and has just clocked up 50K kms and worn out 17 prs of sneakers.....

I greatly admire those who choose to do things in their own way, nopics and I met Stuart Trueman when he was solo kayaking around Australia.

With all of this percolating in my mind, I saw an article on Jalopnik about Lada Niva's......well you can see where this is heading.....an unsealed lap of Australia in a Soviet era 4x4 ?

Japanese motorcycle riders used to have a thing about crossing the Nullarbor using the track alongside the rail line...yes I'm sure one could plot an unsealed path around our wide brown land.

Comment

Working...
                                X