Open Wheeler Toy

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking to the future, it would be nice to cut some laps at Mallala, but the brakes are not really up to that. The fronts are easy, indeed I've already made some progress with those. The rears are MUCH more tricky, there is so little room for disc and caliper with the wheel bearing fitting over the CV joint.

So I had a search around online for a suitable disc, and found a pr in England. I sent him an email, and he replied with reasons why they would be unsuitable.....I would have thought that it was my prerogative to decide the suitability? Anyway I replied with arguments as to why I thought they indeed would be suitable.....so lets see

I've also sent a begging email to the USA, hoping to procure a race engine without losing a limb......
    " Racing cars don't have doors. Toilets have doors" : Keke Rosberg

Comment

Thought you might enjoy this, Roy.

Tow car/camping bus: 2011 D40 Navara ST

Baby mobile: 2016 Nissan Qashqai

75 Mini Clubman club racer - DCOE powah

Comment

I've always had the greatest respect for Larry Perkins, he made it all the way to F1 and came home to operate a very effective operation. I watched Bathurst '95 and when he was last at the start of lap 3, I said to my girlfriend of the time "there is only one car out there that can go flat out all day, he could still win this !"

Comment

Ah, I really enjoyed that interview with Larry, I found myself agreeing with him so many times....I was unaware of his dealings with Bernie, it is examples like that which remind us of all the good that Bernie did for F1 and racing. I'm sure on his death many more stories will come forth.

Comment

Once again I've drained my bank account to send money to Pomgolia, but there should be a pr of brake discs on their way soon....

Comment

All loaded up ready for the S.A. Hillclimb Champs. practice day tomorrow....
              Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP0960.JPG
Views:	408
Size:	4.33 MB
ID:	7083156
              Attached Files

Comment

WOO HOO !! What a day!

After the long cold days we had endured during the hillclimb season, and the lack of results due to the inclement weather. Finally we got a good run at it, and were handsomely rewarded.

It was practice day for the S.A. Hillclimb Championship, few people had bothered to take up the option, we did and capitalised on it. With the new Avon A15 slicks on the back and an old pair of Hankook wets on the front David embarked on rounds of runs, 4 runs in a row followed by a break to let the car cool, and his times started low and just got lower. I'm not sure how many times he reset his PB....I didn't care I was just so happy to see the car deliver. At one point I fitted the Hoosiers (Which I had popped onto the 15" wide wheels for this very purpose) his first split immediately dropped but not his overall time. His feedback (without knowing the times and splits) was " more traction off the line, but less lateral grip and spiky with the lateral, they let go suddenly..." in the end the Hoosiers were consistently 7 tenths slower overall but 3 tenths quicker on the first split.

Dammit he is good ! His consistency and speed is remarkable. His best time of 31.31 is a full 2.5 seconds faster than my best (thus far, I'm hoping given a nice day I can claw some of that back)

And how is that time ? Some time ago I stated that my aim with this car was to emulate the feats of the guns in my youth, Peter Holinger in particular, 31.5 was the target time, and bang there we have it!

To say I'm fucking stoked is an understatement. A busted arse diesel mechanic in his back shed has built a properly quick vehicle from random bits and pieces, the front shocks are from a Nissan Navara, the rears a truck cab! The front discs from the back of an MX5 the rears cut from mild steel plate! EB falcon injectors and a Mitsubishi Magna throttle body....the cheapest MicroSquirt ECU money can buy and a pair of Nissan R35 intercoolers from Florida? who dreams this shit up?

Absolutely stoked.

Lets see what the rest of the weekend brings, but at this point I really couldn't give a shit, I'm so happy I could call it done, right now.

Comment

Well done ! Awesome to hear the hard work /trials /tribulations have all paid off.
                  GAS 260Z RB26DET
                  GAS 1600 3SGE BEAMS

Comment

What a rollercoaster the rest of the weekend was...

First official run on saturday morning, as he popped the clutch to do his burnout one of the rear wheel centres "exploded" ! I had to slip a trolley jack under the back and unceremoniously drag the car from the staging area. Most bizarre ! There are still a few theories as to why, and I've not settled on one that satisfies me yet.

So that meant he was back on the Hoosiers, Saturday was blighted by a lazy cold wind, so whilst he drove well and whittled away at his times, the track never warmed and he didn't reset his PB.

Sunday started a little overcast, cool. but not windy. Eventually the cloud burned off and the sun on the track soon saw times dropping, I do recall him saying that running on the Hoosiers meant that he needed to ensure he was smooth and not push them over their limit, sure enough after a couple of runs on the warm track he reset his PB to a 31.19. Of course in true Sporting Car Club fashion, the timing gave issue. We didn't have times for the first split all day and sometimes not for the second split at times also. So after lunch when he did an absolute blinder of a start, we had no idea actually how fast it was! Except to say that as a spectator it was, if not visibly, then certainly aurally faster.

So this left him, as anticipated on friday, as the South Australian Champion in Formula Libre over 2 litre. We didn't hang around for the trophy presentation as we had been told there is no trophy awarded for classes with only 1 entry.....like that is our fault!

I'm not one for collecting trophies, but, I've put an awfull lot of work, time and money into getting the car where it is and David has driven it superbly. It seems a little dismissive of the organising club to not at least recognise the achievement.

Comment

Bad luck about the wheel centre, shit happens.
                      So first in class is still a win regardless.
                      A top effort too for my friend Damien Hirst
                      Winning his class in the State Hillclimb Championship run at Collingrove this weekend in his Hyundai i30 N in a time of 35.93 sec on his last run and beating the Porker's

Name:	Hirsti30NWin.jpg
Views:	268
Size:	331.1 KB
ID:	7084260

Comment

Kick ass Roy, well done.

Comment

Name:	20193.jpg
Views:	251
Size:	134.9 KB
ID:	7084475

Here is the nicest photo to emerge from the weekend so far. I really like it .....

I've been reflecting on where we stand in the pecking order, despite having not yet seen the full results.

The cars in front of us are motorbike powered and therefore much lighter, and thus feature sequential gearboxes, some feature flat change upshift and auto blip down shift, one claims to weigh as little as 250 kg and has a turbocharged bike engine surely that would mean 1hp/kg 1000hp/tonne.. it is fitted with traction control, maybe even Launch control. there is a chassis from Dallara and fettled by a former F1 designer, others are from multiple Australian hillclimb champions.

So I'm feeling quite happy where we are, and wonder where we will get to, given that we are very much at the bottom of the development slope. We have no aero, have not tried to extract any power from the engine. David feels brakes with a bit more bite could be good as well...nevermind the electronic aids that one can create these days

I look at that photo and at the tyres when they come back and think "we are using them ok" which is nice, because the fronts are just an old set of wets donated to us by a fellow competitor..

I'm looking forward to having a steer this saturday, and that will be the end of the season for this year.

Thanks for the kind comments.

Yes, I saw that Damian had taken out his class, actually I pondered the legality of the Porsche, with regard to the apparent lack of muffler...

The less stirring the better I think, things are not in such great shape anyway so best we just keep our head out of it and be thankfull there are events for us to compete in.

Comment

Name:	IMGP0964.JPG
Views:	200
Size:	3.62 MB
ID:	7085276

So a package arrived, fuck it is light.....

My usual spring scales were not accurate enough, so I had to fetch out the scales for mixing resin, 1.3 kg per disc!

The current Mazda MX5 discs are over 3 kg each!

What an amazing material, we know and understand it, but it is not till it is in your hand that it just distorts normality so much.

Name:	20194.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	304.4 KB
ID:	7085277
                            Attached Files

Comment

It's working the tyres well, how much ackermann does it have? Visibly I reckon it needs more.

We never used carbon rotors, don't they have to be white hot to work?

Comment

The carbon discs were actually the cheapest suitable option, I looked at Willwoods but they were twice the price...someone is stuck with all these old F1 discs which are not much use for much else so they were cheap!

The Akerman is simply classic ie. the steering arm angles cross at the centre of the rear axle, or at least as close as I made them.....which may not be that close!

I've spent some time in the shed wrestling around with Carbon discs and calipers, hmmm it's all going to be a close fit, if at all....

Comment

Working...
                                X