X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roy928tt
    replied
    Today was a bit more successfull, I loaded the car on the trailer without issue this morning and eventually got out to Pt. Gawler, there were Karters on the track, but it is never an issue, they have a session, they I do a few laps, by which time they are ready to go again... has always worked fine.

The brakes are just fine, the pedal pressure is nice, the balance is good and I couldn't determine any change as things warmed up, not that anything got any real temperature into them.

The right front was locking first, I suspect that is because the left front caliper is slightly on the piss and isn't working on the full diametre of the pad,it's leaving an unused ring around the outside of the disc, I'm trusting that will sort itself out as things wear in.

At the back the carbon ceramic discs are doing exactly as I hoped they would, just giving the pads something to work against.

The retardation is excellent, as one would expect from 16 pistons slowing 500 kg!

And the lighter clutch spring is a joy to use and there is still no slip from the clutch.

The Karters came and had a look at the car and were quite taken by it, apparently is sounds very good from outside the car.

All in all, very happy. now to see if Ben can install the AU1 coil pack and igniters...then off to the dyno.

Leave a comment:

• Roy928tt
    replied
    "Crying won't help ya, prayin' won't do ya no good "

So, strip the gearbox apart, remove the old socket, cut and modify another 10 mm deep socket to fit. Traipse down to Gawler, buy 2 more 10 mm deep sockets and swing past a mates workshop to press the shaft and socket together, return home and turn down the socket till the nut fits over it. Reassemble gearbox....

One upshot of all of this, is that I now know just how much oil should be in the gearbox, around 1.75 litres. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP1016.JPG
Views:	32
Size:	3.83 MB
ID:	7115299

That's the socket pressed onto the shaft, about to be turned down till the nut fits over it.

Here is the now rather odd shaped radiator..... Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP1018.JPG
Views:	29
Size:	3.77 MB
ID:	7115300

And a trail of oil from the turbo supply hose that wasn't done up properly..... Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP1017.JPG
Views:	28
Size:	3.91 MB
ID:	7115301

Leave a comment:

• nastysven
    replied
    bugger!!!!

Leave a comment:

• Roy928tt
    replied
    Racecar Delivers Crushing Disappointment !

T'was bound to happen. Here was me thinking I'll drag it out to Port Gawler and give it a little shakedown, see what these brakes are like.

Parked the truck and trailer ready in the loading position, charged the starter batteries and assembled them on the starter trolly, bolted the seat back in and fitted the harness buckle, fitted the space saver front transport wheels and the 15" wide rears with the Hoosiers. I'd already charged the onboard battery and fitted a new fire extinguisher. I turned the ignition on and slotted the starter into place in the new socket on the gearbox shaft, pressed the button and the engine started but the starter was thrown off the back of the box awkwardly The bloody thing sat there idling as if it hadn't been months since it was last started. So I clambered in and tried to drive out of the shed, of course I stalled it. I let it roll back to where I had started from.

That's when I noticed a trail of oil....... the oil feed to the RH turbo wasn't tight, so tighten that. Turn on the ignition and go to start it again, this is when I notice that the newly fitted socket has split, in 2 places no less, HRUMPH !! well that didn't last long. Still manage to start the car, so it ain't over just yet, drive the car out of the shed and manoeuvre it to drive onto the trailer. Of course as I'm heading up the ramps of the trailer it stalls again, I let it roll back, because it has no handbrake and needs to be in neutral to start, of course, CRUNCH !! WTF was that !!

The Radiator that I had moved, was now far enough out from the chassis to bring it closer to the edge of the ramps on the trailer, it hadn't caught the ramps, but the pivot pin for the ramps stuck out further again and it had caught that. The radiator is still holding water but has changed dimensions somewhat.

So that brought an end to that.

Roll the car back into the shed and lift it back onto the trestles and remove the back of the gearbox just as I did at the end of last hillclimb season ....with the same jobs to do.....

Leave a comment:

• Roy928tt
    replied
    I got a price for a 3 channel ignitor, phew ! that's a bit rich ! So I rang the man Ben, What would he do? 4 cylinder Magna's have a single ignitor, 3 of them would do the job.... so off to U-Pull-It I traipsed I was fortunate enough to find 3 units. This makes me happy, the ignition system on the V6 needs fortifying, but I'd rather not take money away from the greater project, the Cosworth V8.... Still, looks like we are charting a good path forward.

Whilst trawling around U-Pull-It I notice that specific electronic components are gone....try finding a Yaris COP unit? etc. clearly I'm not alone out there.

Leave a comment:

• Roy928tt
    replied
    I had a forage around at U-Pull-It on saturday morning, picked up a few little things I thought I needed, including an AU1 coil pack, I'm not sure that was so wise, it is a genuine Bosch one but who knows how old it is. I think I maybe should have bought new for such a critical component.

Then I swung past Power Brakes and picked up another 7/8 master cylinder, I'm looking forward to getting that fitted and getting the car back on it's wheels and giving it a bit of a shakedown to see how all of that works, then delivering it to get the ignition upgraded and a quick dyno to see where we are at.

Leave a comment:

• Roy928tt
    replied
    I didn't find much time to work on the car today, but did manage to plumb up a gauge on the wastegates and shorten the actuator rod till they crack open at 15 psi.

They had previously been set at 9 psi and there was a switchable bleed off that could raise that to 12 psi.

I'm still casting around for the ignition solution, currently looking at AU1 coil pack and a 3 channel ignitor of some sort...

Meanwhile I was giving some thought to where all of that might take us, OK, where David might get to with sharper brakes and more power.

Given that his current best is 31.19 on the Hoosiers. He reckoned there was a 30 in the car ( as it was last year).

If there was a 30.8 in the car, I'm reckoning there could be up to 1.2 in improvement in the brakes and power, conceivably that could bring him into the 29's

This is without taking into account the Avons, which he believes are not only faster but also more forgiving, less punishing of little lapses and indiscretions.

I reckon if you can regularly run 29's at Collingrove, not only are you going bloody fast but on any given day you are capable of winning the day and should the conditions optimise capable of breaking the record. Yes it's a long way from 29's to 27.25 but equally it is interesting to watch how far times tumble when the weather gods smile on the track. Because the most of the events are run in the winter it is reasonably uncommon to actually strike the track in it's optimum condition, so if the car could run 29's on those regular occasions I believe it could be a contender when all is just right.

It will be interesting to see......

Leave a comment:

• PXL265
    replied
    If 1" works, plenty of Nissan stuff in that size that should be cheap.

Leave a comment:

• Roy928tt
    replied
    I bled the front brakes this evening, I think, nay, I'm convinced, I've not got the master cylinder balance right. The front one is far to small compared with the rear, I can see me buying another cylinder the same as the rear one 7/8.

Meh! At least the 3/4 trailer master cylinder was cheap. If I have to split the difference (ie 13/16) it's going to get expensive.

Leave a comment:

• doctor ed
    replied
    i love this shit... water jets centers so he can run F1 wheels which are skinned in fucking hoosiers, on his turbo Mazda milk crate creation... which is getting a cosworth V8

Leave a comment:

• Roy928tt
    replied
    When I picked up the brake hoses there was a question over the price, I couldn't remember exactly what I'd paid for the rear pair....

The upshot of course was, that it just doesn't matter! The car is going nowhere without them. It's a racecar so they can't in anyway be justified or defended, it is an indulgence, nothing more nothing less. I couldn't justify the money spent on it under any circumstances.

It's fun but !

Leave a comment:

• Roy928tt
    replied
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP1005.JPG
Views:	103
Size:	3.72 MB
ID:	7112402Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP1010.JPG
Views:	99
Size:	3.60 MB
ID:	7112403Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP1014.JPG
Views:	103
Size:	3.69 MB
ID:	7112404Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP1015.JPG
Views:	99
Size:	3.84 MB
ID:	7112405

Leave a comment:

• Roy928tt
    replied
    And done. Because I'd already made some progress with 4 spots on the front it took very little effort to finish, and today I picked up another pair of brake hoses , swapped in a 3/4 master cylinder and all I need to do now is bleed it and test drive.

Leave a comment:

• Roy928tt
    replied
    After a good number of hours messing around with wheels, spacers and brake calipers. I've finally got 4 wheels (with tyres mounted) that fit on the rear over the ceramic discs and 4 pot calipers. No small effort to achieve that I must say.

I tried in vain to torque up the nuts in the gearbox, only to give up and resort to the dugga dugga torquer. Having achieved that I finished assembling it and poured some oil into it.

I think, tomorrow I will continue with fitting a pr of 4 pot calipers to some front uprights and vented cast discs. I made a start in this over a year ago.... but having achieved 4 pots on the rear I'd better try to balance it out a little.

6 weeks till first hillclimb, and I'd like to give it a bit of a shakedown before then, indeed I'd like to rework the ignition and get it on the dyno, see if we can find a bit more power before then!

Leave a comment:

• Roy928tt
    replied
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP0994.JPG
Views:	238
Size:	3.66 MB
ID:	7109644Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP0995 - Copy.JPG
Views:	226
Size:	3.63 MB
ID:	7109645Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP1001.JPG
Views:	227
Size:	3.47 MB
ID:	7109646

Some ordinary photos of progress...

The wheel has turned out OK, I will spend some time in the shed this afternoon working on the 2nd one.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X