Evo 8 racecar

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unless I'm mistaken, it may already have a blanking plate in there, the part circled below looks like the remains of the stone guard cut down to suit this purpose. The blanking plate would normally mount where the stock stone guard mounts.

As you say, there's not much space to work with. One thing a bigger rotor would do is give you more room for ducting. Could you just get bigger rotors and make up an adaptor to suit those calipers?

Comment

I'm assuming that the stock Evo Brembo's run an aluminium piston? Does anyone make a replacement castellated piston in Stainless or Ti (lol)? This will go a long way to slowing down the rate at which the heat from the pads is transferred into the fluid. Some allege that placing Ti shims between the pads and pistons will help but I've never used them, they are quite cheap through Girodisc in the states.

**edit**
      Racing brake sell pistons - good guys to deal with.
      https://www.racingbrake.com/EVO-Fron...s-p/bm-41p.htm

Comment

Have you had someone press the brake pedal and see if the calipers are any good still? Someone up here ran evo brembos on their car, got them very hot in a race and they were spreading so badly, no dial indicator was needed to see they were cactus.

Another guy up here with 4 or 5 race evos installed Alcons on all of them straight up, after going through this with earlier VII and VIII versions.....and they're slower than IP spec. AP has some good info on ducting too, that tapering inlet wouldn't be too flash, but not much room to play with I guess.

Comment

Yep, have certainly heard of the Evo Brembos going soft.
          Rust is lighter than carbon fibre.

My Italian 510

Comment

Andy, what tyre size are you running on the 17's?, 245/45x17 ?.

I'm just upgrading my brakes to 343x32 with 4 pot caliper which fits under my 17's.

Adam
            Sandown 1.23.31
            Calder 1.05.76
            Phillip Island 1.47.95
            Winton 1.33.30
            H/Hills hill climb 1.03.3(FG XR6T)
            Bathurst 2.47.49

Comment

Originally posted by adamRSLC View Post
              Andy, what tyre size are you running on the 17's?, 245/45x17 ?.

I'm just upgrading my brakes to 343x32 with 4 pot caliper which fits under my 17's.

Adam
              I'm running a 255/40/17. AP and alcon both do a 343x32 6 piston kit, but I'm more worried about heat removal from the caliper than the overall diameter of the rotor, as I think that the 340mm rotors are more than big enough.

Comment

I didnt realise you could get the 255/40x17 for IP in the Yokie. I was told 245/45x17 would be the better choice. Cheers.
                Sandown 1.23.31
                Calder 1.05.76
                Phillip Island 1.47.95
                Winton 1.33.30
                H/Hills hill climb 1.03.3(FG XR6T)
                Bathurst 2.47.49

Comment

Went up to the bend yesterday for a bit of a test session to try some new gearing changes for the longer track.
                  Gearing worked well, but found out that astra power steering pumps don't like lots of laps on long radius corners. Will need to look at adding a cooler to the power steering return line somewhere.

Had a limited number of laps because we spent the day chasing a missfire but eventually got down to a 2:06. Lost a fair bit of time running wide mid lap as well so I think a 2:04 should be on the cards with a bit more seat time.

Unfortunately the motor is pushing coolant under boost so it'll have to come out for a freshen up before the end of the year... which means no nationals for me.

Comment

Would something like this be better than the astra power steering pump???

https://www.ultimatepowersteering.co...ring-pump-kit/

I have one for my S14 prod sports. Not fitted yet, but talking to the owner of the power steering shop was the better option for my application. Plus Warwick has a very nice hillclimb open wheeler that is stupidly fast.

Sent from my XT1635-02 using Tapatalk

Comment

I think just putting a cooling loop in the return line should help a fair bit, plus it's a cheaper alternative to try first. Worst comes to worst I can just put the original evo pump and lines back on.

Comment

So front a front brake upgrade has got a little out of control... Decided to fit a pedalbox and get serious about pulling some more weight out of the car.
                        Ideally if I can get it somewhere close to 1150kg without completely blowing the budget then it'll be worth copping a downsize in restrictor diameter.

Dash and all the wiring removed so I can thin out the factory loom... PDM would be nice but just too many $$$ along with everything else.

Tilton floor mount box will cut a bit of weight out and allow me to size the master cylinders to the calipers a lot easier than dealing with the factory MC.

Comment

Nice to see it being done thoroughly. Do you think you will need to reinforce the floor to stop it flexing under brakes?

Comment

Yeah I've got a plate getting laser cut at the moment which will be welded into the floorpan to reinforce it.
                            Allows me to move it a little further forward as well so I won't have to shift the seating position quite as far.

Comment

Decided to just make up the base plate myself, even managed to drill all 6 holes in the right spots so I didn't have to run them out with a drill bit 3mm too large! first time for everything I guess...

tacked it into the floorpan, I'll get my mate to weld it in properly so the pedals actually stay bolted to the floor.

And mounted:

Ordered some carbon sheet and brake pressure sensors today so hopefully can make up the false floor this weekend.
                              Looking for some -03 banjo bolts which have a 1/8npt port in the top of them for a pressure sensor... I've found them in the US but something local would be a bit easier if anyone knows of anything.

Comment

Power Brakes at Gilles Plains not got anything?
                                " Racing cars don't have doors. Toilets have doors" : Keke Rosberg

Comment

Working...
                                X