Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1960 Goggomobil Coupe

A while back I saw an interesting shell pop up on eBay. It was a roller, but with an interesting history & came complete with log books.
    It failed to meet reserve, but after a few phone calls, a bit of cash and two cartons (to transport it from Newcastle to Perth) this was in my driveway:

A 1960 Goggomobil Coupe. No, not the Dart!
    They have a fibreglass body made my Bill Buckle Motors in Sydney, and a steel floor & running gear imported from Glas in Dingolfing, Germany.
    It had originally been powered by an air cooled 293cc two cylinder engine in the rear but was CAMS log booked with two Cooper S 1310cc engines and mini running gear in both ends.
    I bought it to save it from the wreckers, with no engines and the windscreens were smashed.

I contacted the guy who built and campaigned the car, Warren Creagh, who was kind enough to send me some photos and fill me in on some details.

It was first modified in 1960 with a single mini 850 engine in the rear:

As a temporary measure in testing, his co-driver would reach out the window to change gears!
    It was used a road car for some years before undergoing full race prep and was used in hillclimbs for many years:

Photo circa 1980s
    Lots of minis & mokes including a G13b powered Sports Sedan, a couple of Swift Gtis, a Goggomobil, Porsche 928S, Polo Gti, BMW 540i, a WRX and a few others.

More, please!!

Comment

After sitting for some time, my first step was to clean out the spiders, strip out all the old wiring and source a replacement windscreen.

After failing to determine what the front windscreen was (the rear was a front windscreen from a Renault Dauphine), I had them replaced with polycarbonate:

Then I set about freshening up a couple of engines for it:

including stripping unnecesary weight off the front engine: alternator, starter, pulleys, covers

The venerable Suzuki Swift Gti Mk2 G13b

Lots of minis & mokes including a G13b powered Sports Sedan, a couple of Swift Gtis, a Goggomobil, Porsche 928S, Polo Gti, BMW 540i, a WRX and a few others.

Comment

Go on...

Comment

Well I already had a subframe to mount a G13b in a mini so it seemed a shame not to use it.
          standard mini subframe out and custom one in:

Next up was deciding on suspension and brakes. It had run all standard mini gear, but of course I wanted it lighter/faster/stronger.
          Determining wheel size - stay with 10s or go to 13" ?

Decided on 13s so I could run some decent brakes.

Comment

Holy shiz this is awesome
            Originally posted by thebluerx7
            The fact they want to ban cash makes me want to go out and use it full time again now .

Comment

Being a heavy little bugger 7.5" mini brakes just weren't going to cut it, so I sourced an incomplete Truckstuff kit.
              It incorporates 9.25" Camira vented discs and finned alloy VB Commodore calipers.

I set about making the mounting brackets, but the drawing I was supplied was wrong:

The calipers have been modded for clearance too:

Front suspension now has Spax adjustable shockies and billet HiLos (for stiffer suspension on the rubber cones & height adjustment)

The standard cast iron and rubber mini suspension arms are gone.
              Managed to get a set of Force Racing rose jointed titanium tubular arms from the UK:

That let me get the brakes fitted up:

Comment

New favourite project.

Comment

Holy crap, this is awesome.
                  Rust is lighter than carbon fibre.

My Italian 510

Comment

Jesus christ, Camira brakes. do you have a death wish ?

Loving the rest of it though, must be a weapon with twin donks.

Don't mention the adBlocker !!

Comment

This intrigues me...

| 1963 RK43 Toyota Lite-Stout (Stanley) | 2002 EC5W Mitsubishi Legnum VR-4 Type-S (Larry) |

Originally posted by Gammaboy
                      PF - We're not happy till you're not happy.

Comment

Very nice.

On a scale of 1 to fuck you, how many times do people ask you to spell the name?
                        this signature intentionally left blank

Comment

Got anymore pics of the zook subframe?
                          Tow car/camping bus: 2011 D40 Navara ST

Baby mobile: 2016 Nissan Qashqai

75 Mini Clubman club racer - DCOE powah

Comment

Originally posted by CussCuss View Post
                            Very nice.

On a scale of 1 to fuck you, how many times do people ask you to spell the name?
                            Fuck you!

Comment

Originally posted by da9jeff View Post
                              Got anymore pics of the zook subframe?
                              It did look like this, but I've since made a couple of mods to it:

Comment

Working...
                              X