X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BEAVIS' White NB Turbo Track Car

Hi,

So over the last 6 years or so I've had 7 MX-5's. Three of those have been track cars.
    I've had this particular NB for the longest, about 3 years now.
    And while it has been a great, reliable and capable track car, there comes a time in a little boys life when he must become a man.

I have decided it is time to go turbo.

Figured now was a good time to make a thread here so you can all tell me what I am doing wrong... because lets be honest I have no idea what I am doing.

So anyway, I have had plenty of fun with the car to date, it has always been competitive against stronger competition and is usually one of the fastest MX-5's at the track days I attend.

Some history to get things going. I bought the 01' JDM imported NB with standard VVT motor.
    It was missing a lot of bits, but that wasn't an issue as it was going to be a dedicated track car and would be stripped down anyway.

Off to fit cage:

Pretty much as was when i took it for its first drive:

At this point the car was running the factory NB VVT Motor, 6 speed gearbox, Torsen 4.1 diff and running factory ECU. NB 'sport' brakes, cheapo BC Coilovers, a bigger front swaybar.

Bonnet, roof and boot are carbon/fibreglass items.
    Note these were all made with the guidance of 'Lightyear' - here is the first lightyear fastback that was made, which currently still sits on this car.

After about 6 months i needed more grip so a Wing, Flat Floor, Side Skirts, and larger front splitter happened.

This gives perspective on the width of the side skirts

The car certainly is nice to drive around sunny Phillip Island:

And even not so sunny Phillip Island (the car makes a mean rooster tail):

Anyway the point of the thread was to discuss the turbo bits that are about to happen.
    If you are interested, there is more history on the car on the Aussie MX-5 forums, sadly thanks to Imageshack going 'paid service' some of the older pics have been lost:
    mx5cartalk.com - BEAVIS' White Track Car
    Time Attack Turbo Build Thread // BEAVISMotorsport.com // YouTube.com/bbeavis

Good stuff, look forward to reading more.

What do you think of the Race King trailer?
    Rust is lighter than carbon fibre.

My Italian 510

Comment

Nice, subscribed
      Originally posted by thebluerx7
      The fact they want to ban cash makes me want to go out and use it full time again now .

Comment

Did the crazy win make it slower ?

Thus the need for some turbo love?
        Check out my shit for sale on facebook:
        https://www.facebook.com/pages/Junk-...25870327473735

Comment

You could probably post some lap times with mod reference. Might help to see how the car improved. That red car in the 4th pic looks fast.
          NA8B 89KW- P.I. 1:50.1, WNTN1:38.0, SDWN 1:27.6, WKFLD 1:10.4
          NB8B 181KW- P.I 1:43.8, WNTN 1:32.9, SDWN 1:22.0, BDFD 1:05.3
          VP 293KW- P.I 1:43.8 WNTN 1:33.5

Comment

Originally posted by Guido View Post
            What do you think of the Race King trailer?
            This trailer was bought before Raceking owned the design, and it was supplied by a different company. It was easy to build, lasts well given its galvanised. The chinese hydraulic ram is rubbish and there are a few quirks that have been improved along the years. Overall its a good, lightweight, low-car-friendly trailer.

Originally posted by fatz View Post
            Did the crazy wing make it slower ?
            Thus the need for some turbo love?
            Slower in a straight line, yes. Faster laptimes overall, yes.
            Turbo is necessary to water down the hairdresserness of the MX-5.

Originally posted by lightyear View Post
            You could probably post some lap times with mod reference. Might help to see how the car improved. That red car in the 4th pic looks fast.
            Perhaps one day when I am not busy in the garage i will trawl through the Natsoft archives and see if i can take a record of best times.

Comment

Originally posted by bbeavis View Post
              Perhaps one day when I am not busy in the garage i will trawl through the Natsoft archives and see if i can take a record of best times.
              this can help with the trawling - http://www.motorsportzone.com.au/?p=lap_times

Comment

Turbo should make things interesting.

Originally posted by hrd View Post
                Wow that's cool, didn't even know that existed.
                2015 Skoda Octavia RS162TSI
                2004 MX5 SE Turbo
                2016 Toyota 86 GTS (No Pics)

Comment

that's an awesome link
                  '93 6SPD T04Z 1UZ JZA80 Supra
                  '93 Auto T04Z JZA80 Supra

Venom Automotive - Billet Components to suit a variety of Automotive Applications including JZ, UZ & RB Engines.

Comment

That shit is amazing.

Comment

Freaking cool car! I've always been disappointed by the fact that I am too tall to pedal these things. The roof/boot/lip combo is bloody awesome. Does he sell them online?

Comment

Nice! Looks like you're kinda heading towards the Time Attack format?
                        http://www.speedhunters.com/2013/12/...lenge-accepted

Comment

Nice build, i have seen your thread on the mx5 forums, this car and lightyear has been my go-to cars for the best way to build mine.

My only advice is to try focus more on installing more chrome vent surrounds and door sills rather than handling or power mods.
                          www.holditflat.com

Comment

Originally posted by smithbro View Post
                            Freaking cool car! I've always been disappointed by the fact that I am too tall to pedal these things. The roof/boot/lip combo is bloody awesome. Does he sell them online?
                            I am 6foot 2 and worst thing is trying to fit in the darn car. I have yet to find a seat that i can mount low enough and at a reasonable angle to sit comfortably in the car.
                            For years I have basically compromised somewhere between headroom and comfort.
                            The roof/boot is all home made. Something which, in the near future, should be available for purchase. Lightyear did the work on the roof, I was just there for moral support, his car: http://performanceforums.com/forums/...me-Attack-Cars

Originally posted by 333pg333 View Post
                            Nice! Looks like you're kinda heading towards the Time Attack format?
                            Yes, I would say at the moment Time Attack is my 'inspiration'.
                            But I don't have the budget/skills/time to compete in the big game at the moment.
                            Once the thing is running again I'll look at a options for motorsport sprint championships to contend in as its nice to have some cars/times to chase.

Comment

Super TT at Winton would be the easiest option, also if you have any times faster than Dave's please post them up!.

Adam
                              Sandown 1.23.31
                              Calder 1.05.76
                              Phillip Island 1.47.95
                              Winton 1.33.30
                              H/Hills hill climb 1.03.3(FG XR6T)
                              Bathurst 2.47.49

Comment

Working...
                              X