Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

VN Group A Race Car (round 2 of the V8's)

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wait & save for an LS2, see if you can find one with less than 150,000K's on it.

Freshen with rings, bearings & ARP rod bolts - open up bearing clearances a little - .0025-.0028" on the mains, .0023-.0026" on the rods, you may need 1/2 a set of HX bearings to get there.
    Use the 243 heads that come with an LS2 - they will not produce as much top end HP as the rectangle port heads, but will produce a stronger TQ curve & be more drivable. A reco on the heads with good valve job, stock valves, mild port work & mill to get to 12.5:1 comp is all that is required.
    Cam around 238/242 on 109 centres - none of this wide lobe centre bullshit.
    You may need to eyebrow the pistons for piston/valve clearance, can be done by hand with a die grinder, or send to SPS & have them do it, or buy new slugs that already have valve reliefs.
    Add good springs, pushrods & trunion upgrade for the rockers.
    Run on E85.

Ditch the stock intake & use an edelbrock victor jnr with a 4 hole TB - much better transient response & more top end into the bargain.

Grab one of those cheaper dry sump kits I linked you to, cheapest upgrade you'll do (in that it'll save you building another motor).
    By the time you buy a good sump etc you're 1/2 way to the cost of the basic kit.
    Another option is to buy dry sump bits second hand & make your own - but it never seems to work out much cheaper that way, all the little shit like drive, pump mount, pulleys & lines end up costing more than they would if you bought a kit & it comes out only a little cheaper.

Almost every failure I've seen in an LS circuit engine has been oiling related, you can build it reliable without a dry sump, but it's not much cheaper, dry sump is good insurance.

It won't be the cheapest engine, but it will be reliable & fast enough to not be cursing the lack of HP.
    I've got a couple built just like that, they make 320-330rwkw & run hard.

Comment

But thats $20k
      Originally posted by 50RTD
      Dave, have you uploaded the data from the carby?

Comment

Originally posted by Dogsballs View Post
        But thats $20k
        This

8k motor
        2-3 k dry sump
        6-7k gear bag

Plus all the rest....

I love club racing, can't handle the dollars.

Comment

Cheap, fast or reliable. 2/3...

Comment

My original budget was way under that. I will go with the 6.0l motor.

I emailed the dry sump guys. But no reply as yet. I can get my sump modified by my mechanic. And buy an acusump. Should work out cheap enough and hopefully work.
            NA8B 89KW- P.I. 1:50.1, WNTN1:38.0, SDWN 1:27.6, WKFLD 1:10.4
            NB8B 181KW- P.I 1:43.8, WNTN 1:32.9, SDWN 1:22.0, BDFD 1:05.3
            VP 293KW- P.I 1:43.8 WNTN 1:33.5

Comment

With the accusump. Just do what vett guys do in the states.

I pretty much, force oil back into the oil pump, gears.

Comment

My LS drysump was about $900 total
                GURU ENGINEERING PTY LTD

Comment

Originally posted by gtrboyy View Post
                  Holmart still got one for 7k also 2 other joints on ebay all in Vic.

If you want NSW arse reaming try Eagle Autoparts.
                  Tried both them and they told me no, and just had a look on Holmart Website again and no good...

Comment

I saw one on Holmart I thought, or eBay.

I finally caught up with the guy across the road, he has a really neat VL Calais with a 6.0l conversion built as a burnout/cruise car. He wants $18k for the lot. But it has a lot of good stuff, so if I can part out the bits I don't need and sell the car minus motor and box. I should get out of it for around $10k or less. He said he spent $2k or so on the cooling system, $3k on the fuel system, etc. Ceramic clutch, 6 speed. And the motor is built not long ago with forged bottom end. It only has a HSV cam, something to do with rego. Made just shy of 300rwkw's. Not sure what a good VL Calais is worth minus it's motor and box. $6k? It's bright red and silver. Original 5.0l car.
                    The best part is I just have to walk across the road and pick it up. And it has everything I need. No sourcing conversion kits and bits and pieces. So will speed up the process. And being a newly built engine with maybe 2000km's it should last a lot longer than a wrecker motor with 150,000km's.

Comment

Originally posted by Supashake View Post
                      My LS drysump was about $900 total
                      Any links or details?

Comment

Whats another car?! Lol
                        Originally posted by 50RTD
                        Dave, have you uploaded the data from the carby?

Comment

Lightyear you have to remember that a street car vs a race car is like cat and dog. I would listen to TK if your filling the rocker covers and hit a hard turn and the pick up go's dry for one millisecond that's it at the right revs.

Comment

Yep you're broken haha

Fucking envious of $900 dry sump setup.

Kroozer it's all on ebay,according to that Holmart have 2 available.
                            an easy fix is get a mate to drive in front of you at 60 then 80 then 100 and mark in on your speedo with some liquid paper.

Comment

Good luck parting out the VL....

Get ready for the all time low dealing with flat brim, comoodore people.

Comment

The motor should be no different to a race car motor. Except for the dry sump. He said it has a baffled sump, but I would like to see how baffled it is.
                                If I can get a dry sump that works for $900 I will be all over it.

I know of one guy that runs a good sump and accusump and has had no issues.

Comment

Working...
                                X