Announcement

Collapse

All new PerformanceForums is here

The long-awaited upgrade and server move is complete.

Whinge about shit HERE.

Looking for Tapatalk functionality? See this thread.
See more
See less

Prodsports 2B S14 Build

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And only 9 months between updates this time.

The car has been moved, and it is now a couple of hours away from Brisbane when the owner of the shop it was at moved.

Now he has finally got his four post hoist working he can get back to doing suspension set up.

So only three years after ordering the coil overs, having them rebuilt and the springs replaced to better suit my needs, they are now being fitted.

But there is a catch. The fronts are fine, the rears are a problem though. I use a GTR alloy hub in the rear and the mount is a fork type different to the standard S14 eye type mount, and the original order can't be found to see if it is our stuff up or BC's stuff up.

Hopefully something will be sorted soon, and then the car will be rolling finally and it can come home, giving me the problem of having four cars and only three spots in the garage. Looks like the Merc maybe be parked outside for a while.....

Sent from my XT1635-02 using Tapatalk

Comment

You might need something like this.

Comment

Paul will sort it out.

I'd say he will use it as an excuse to catch up with his good mate Murray, who modified the BC coilovers, and the mount will be fixed.

Comment

Nice build. I can see why people rate these. Look quite simple and straight forward to work on, lots of parts available.

Comment

And cheap. The adjustable suspension arms front and rear were around $600 from memory.

Only problem now is that in the last 5 or 6 years shells and body panels are getting harder to find, and now being P plater legal and over 20 years old they are being destroyed at an alarming rate.

Comment

And some more progress....

At full compression on the bump stop. Tyre is 645mm diameter, so just a touch taller than the usual slick it uses, a 240 640 18.

And sitting at about ride height, set at 65mm travel from full compression.

Final setup will be done when the engine and drivetrain is fitted and the plastic guards are fitted.

Should work quite well.

Rears will hopefully be sorted soon....

Comment

This getting shit done is awesome, especially when it is someone else doing the work.

The front suspension is pretty much finished with the standard sway bar also fitted. Once the rear is set up it will only need a final check and the alignment done when the thing is ready to roll out I to the track.

And to give new meaning to leg day....

1 1/16 inch master cylinder with booster delete. Should give a nice firm pedal and plenty of feel going by the 1 inch unboosted master cylinder I had in the old Zed.

I imagine that this work will lighten the wallet a little. But progress is progress, so I am happy.

So now I just need to time a trip home towards the end if my work contract to get the engine and car to the engine builder for engine assembly and the installation of the computer, PDM and associated wiring.

Then a quick squirt if white inside and out, fit up the panels and put some stickers in it and we are ready to play.

Comment

And more progress, seat is now mounted....

A bit of a tight fit due to the side wings for the HANS and being a wide seat for a fat cunt like me.

A little adjust ment still available to fine tune the distance from the pedals and wheel

And even room to use the factory fitted captive nuts for the harness eye bolts into the standard mount on the drivers side and what looks to be the same for the tunnel side. Originally the seat belt mounted to the standard seat base, but the captive but is most likely for another market.

Comment

What's your steering wheel to Sainz bar clearance like? Mine's shithouse with a 330mm wheel.
                    Looks like a great build. What are you planning for front brakes?

Comment

Steering wheel clearance is good to the Sainz bar. The guy who fabricated the cage put a couple of tabs in the knee breaker for the steering column adjuster to be bolted to it. When Paul did the seat mount, he moved it in board as much as he could and then slotted the holes in the bracket to move the column across to lessen the offset, so that gives a little more room as well.

For brakes I'm using Z32 alloy front calipers and the matching 278mm rotors and the rear brakes are R33 GTR rear brakes. I picked the brakes up from eBay pretty cheap at the time.

With the Hawk pads I will use, they should pull up well. Only downside is the DT70 compound pads are a bit rotor hungry, but they work well and have plenty of feel

Comment

Nicely done, good looking OMP there too. Always a score when you can use factory mount points :D

Are you going to go factory column?

If I had my time over again (and still might at some point) and had the front cage busbar like you have there - I'd go adj Woodward column every day of the week. Get the wheel right where you want it.

Comment

Standard column gives me the adjustment I need for the set up I have with the detachable steering hub moving the wheel that touch closer that I want.

That is also the third seat to go into the car. I kept upgrading as I saw them on sale, so happy with the proper Hans type seat in a fat bastard size.

Hopefully the HANS spec belts will have shirt enough shoulder straps for the cross bar in the cage. The seat is awful close the bar work.

Comment

before you white out the interior, i would double check the cage rules, pretty sure they make you gusset the intersection points now for the cross bracing.

great looking build

Comment

I know the cage rules have changed slightly since it was built, so yes it will probably need a couple of tweeks to fully comply again.

But I'm still a couple of years away from that going by my current work contract.

Comment

And the set up of suspension is done.....

Sitting at pretty much the final ride height. Will need the final height setting and alignment done when it is ready to play.

Only job left is to run the hard brake lines to the front and some braided lines to the calipers in the front and it is ready to come home to sit and wait until I finish work in Jakarta.

Next step will be paint, cheap appliance white, then engine assembled and fitted with the gearbag and it's play time. Unfortunately that is still about mid 2021 with me in Jakarta until the end if 2020.

Comment

Working...
                                X