No announcement yet.

Commodore of Death (Murray)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great to see this thing out having a good time!
    Originally posted by myshortyboomba
    I've had many gauges in cars. I always found the conrods react faster than a gauge.

you can always hear them when they break and they stop the engine immediately so you can't do any more damage.

Comment

Originally posted by Fraud View Post
      Great to see this thing out having a good time!
      Plus 11ty...

1998 MX5 - Ohlins DFV coilovers, Roll bar,15 x7.5 Konig Litespeeds, Mania Intake
      2014 Colorado LT - Oversized Whitegoods. Kid/bike/track hack/horse hauler.

Comment

We did a private hire at Hampton late 2020 and I managed to thump the RH front into a tree quite heavily... no pics of that, too embarrassed.
        That meant yet another K-frame and LCA/bushes plus a front guard and wheel bearing. Better than chassis damage but dented the ego a bit.

Fixed all that over Christmas and we did a khanacross at Hampton on 7 March. Car went well, no crashes but the centre bearing fucked out on the last run of the day.
        No biggie, it was in the donor car when I bought it, so probably due for replacement anyway.

Fitted a new one, did a wheel alignment and bought a set of new rally tyres in preparation for the next event - Mini Dulla rally!

Hoonboy was the service crew and towed Murray down there.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20210501MurrayMD21Trailer.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	300.5 KB
ID:	7249170

I towed the van down there to serve as base camp.

Up early Saturday morning to get the doco sorted, add the event stickers and we were ready to go

Name:	20210501%20MurrayMD21Ready_low.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	403.2 KB
ID:	7249171

After a bit of a wait, it was time to get to the start.

Name:	20210501MurrayMD21Leaving.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	295.2 KB
ID:	7249172
        Race Car: VT Commodore (Murray)
        www.vsport.com.au

Comment

We didn't start well with my novice navigator missing the first call to get us to the start of the stage...

But we made it to the start control and suddenly we are at the start point waiting for our start time to roll around.
          No-wheelspin starts are the go these days and we took off gently building speed rapidly.

I don't have much experience with the car at relatively high speeds, so I was taking it easy and exploring the limits.
          My navigator was struggling, so I was also driving pretty much blind.

Anyway, we made it to the end of the 17 km stage about 30 seconds slower than the cars around us - 29th out of 35.

Name:	20210501MurrayMD21After%20Stage1_low.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	413.4 KB
ID:	7249295

Stage 2 was 28 kms and it was time to up the ante.
          Started to push a bit harder and my nav was getting the calls more consistant - happy days.

Then after a few kms, the thumping started...
          Sounded just like a centre bearing - but that was brand new! Spent the next few kms trying to remember if I had tightened all the bolts when I refitted the tailshaft.

Car felt OK and it was only on hard acceleration or higher speed that it sounded like an angry monster trying to get out of a sheetmetal box. Of course it got worse, so I just backed off and while not cruising, tried just to flow through the stage.
          Surprisingly, we were 19th fastest on this one - happy with that.

Name:	20210501MurrayMD21InStage(3).jpg
Views:	173
Size:	286.3 KB
ID:	7249296

Name:	20210501MurrayMD21InStage(1).jpg
Views:	176
Size:	190.9 KB
ID:	7249297

Name:	20210501MurrayMD21InStage(2).jpg
Views:	177
Size:	337.5 KB
ID:	7249298

So we got to the end and the question was do we continue and do the third stage?
          Fuck it, lunch break is after this - I'll drive sensibly and we should be OK to get back.

Name:	20210501MurrayMD21Moxon_low.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	317.6 KB
ID:	7249299

So we had 21kms of waiting for the tailshaft to fall out but we made it back to the lunchtime service.
          We were 21st on this stage, which shows there is potential in the car.

Sure enough the centre bearing is toast again, so we withdraw from the rally.

Happy with the performance of the car - it feels really good and easy to drive. Shame about the tailshaft issue - but we will sort that out and be back!
          www.vsport.com.au

Comment

Great to see this thing out and competing Gaz... πŸ˜‰... And nicely done despite the issues..

​​​​​​Time to go to a single piece tailshaft perhaps?

1998 MX5 - Ohlins DFV coilovers, Roll bar,15 x7.5 Konig Litespeeds, Mania Intake
            2014 Colorado LT - Oversized Whitegoods. Kid/bike/track hack/horse hauler.

Comment

Or shielding on the center bearing? Is it getting destroyed by dust/stones? I wouldn't have thought it would happen so quickly, perhaps some other failure mode.

Comment

Originally posted by rowdytoot View Post
                ​​​​​​Time to go to a single piece tailshaft perhaps?
                Maybe, have to check exhaust clearance.

Originally posted by 36 View Post
                Or shielding on the center bearing? Is it getting destroyed by dust/stones? I wouldn't have thought it would happen so quickly, perhaps some other failure mode.
                This has been on a lot of dirt over the last 3 years, so I doubt dust/stones is the issue.
                I am wondering about tailshaft balance - I'm going to take it to a driveshaft place and see what they reckon.

May have been dodgy part or installer!
                www.vsport.com.au

Comment

Are 6 and 8 cylinder center bearings the same? They're not on earlier models.
                  Looking for 86 GSXR bits. PM me

Comment

Originally posted by Swill View Post
                    Are 6 and 8 cylinder center bearings the same? They're not on earlier models.
                    I think so. I used a genuine GM one 92143761 - various listings show it fits six or eight...
                    www.vsport.com.au

Comment

Hmm will be interesting to see if the bearing is damaged or what the go is. They can break when jumping. Been there done that

Also as a one time VK rally car owner, keeping a check on all the rear end bolts was an every service type deal too. I appreciate that the rear end are different but weight and torque have a habit of trying to undo things that shouldn't be undoing. Probably be on the right hand side... It'll take about 10 rallys before you get a handle on all the little things. But once you're there, they are strong and enjoyable machine
                      Looking for 86 GSXR bits. PM me

Comment

Dud battery in GoPro on Stage 1, so no video. Stage 2 video uploaded -

We need to work on the dust sealing!
                        www.vsport.com.au

Comment

Roof vent for some positive air pressure in the cabin?

Comment

Originally posted by ifuckingloveCUM!!! View Post
                            Roof vent for some positive air pressure in the cabin?
                            The main problem was the small stones destroyed the aluminium tape I had covering the 'drain holes' in the rear footwells - so I have a car full of gravel as well!

Roof vent(s) are on the upgrade list.
                            www.vsport.com.au

Comment

Working...
                            X