X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lance - The World's Slowest Race Car

Team PF

Thought I’d put this post up to share the story as we go of what can only be described as one of the worlds slowest race cars. A group of us came together to purchase this thing recently (there are about 8 of us, some lurking on PF…).

The previous owner had prepared & used the car for basic entry level motorsport events like motorkhanas and what not. The car is pure filth, but has most of the basics done for motorsport. Cage, seats, harnesses, suspension, wheels / tyres, and the motor itself is apparently the VRX version which is 2.4L not 2L? I think? But you wouldn’t know it.

We intended to race it in 24 hour of lemons but with careful consideration realised that it really wasn’t the style of event that we wanted to go to. We’re all up for having a heap of fun (this is why we purchased this) but we’re more keen to have fun on track in a traditional setting where we don't need to wear underpants on the outside of our pants to fit in.

Once we picked up the car the tyres were shot and the wheel alignment was completely out so we did that and hit the track at SMSP for a shakedown. Cool sounding term, but not for this car.

Click image for larger version

Name:	27867054_10157196010791038_7966325314981691198_n.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	117.3 KB
ID:	6634971Click image for larger version

Name:	28058461_10157196010826038_6089196210968403434_n.jpg
Size:	133.0 KB
ID:	6634972Click image for larger version

Name:	27867514_10157196010801038_2738837587523885559_n.jpg
Size:	111.7 KB
ID:	6634973
    Find your Freedom
    Home Loans | Car Loans | Investment Portfolios | Property Management
    www.FreedomFunding.com.au
    www.ProgressiveProperty.com.au

Click for PF Loans
    If you're thinking of buying, or that you may be paying too much on your home loan PM me for a no obligation chat!

Might be able to fit into the cheap car challenge?

Edit: If its the 2.4lt it wont fit. max capacity is 2.0

Comment

Oh and we figured the name "Lance" was fitting for a piss coloured Lancer as inspired by Lance Armstrong himself. We still need to find a way to cheat with performance enhancing drugs but we'll get there.

SMSP was heaps of fun but the lack of velocity was almost terrifying.

Name:	IMG_8206.JPG
Size:	2.21 MB
ID:	6614308Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8208.JPG
Size:	3.09 MB
ID:	6614309

And the noise was horrific. It has a completely straight through exhaust and we've had some interesting debates on as to if this is detracting performance due to lack of any mufflers. What is backpressure? We should probably put a turbo on it instead. At this stage it probably sounds like I'm just rambling and whigning, so we prepared a video which captures the soundtrack. Watch at your own risk.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mje9...ature=youtu.be

It was making some horrible noises on fast RH corners under load (you can hear it in the video). We made some bush mechanic modifications to try and fix it but unfortunately in vain as it was just a busted CV. We pressed on, and session we fixed that, plus put some new pads into it as they were almost cooked.

Name:	IMG_8210.JPG
Size:	2.46 MB
ID:	6614310Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8211.JPG
Size:	4.89 MB
ID:	6614311

From memory best time was a 2.02 full circuit. Plenty a bit of time in it, but let's face it this isn't going to take out WTAC.

We've entered it for Notta GP on 1st July up at Lakeside so that should be a fun trip. Will do another "shakedown" private practice session at SMSP end of May to make sure she is robust enough to survive 6 hours of track time.
      Find your Freedom

Click for PF Loans
      If you're thinking of buying, or that you may be paying too much on your home loan PM me for a no obligation chat!

Comment

Originally posted by mad_cow View Post
        Might be able to fit into the cheap car challenge?

Edit: If its the 2.4lt it wont fit. max capacity is 2.0
        We were thinking that. I have no idea if its actually a 2.4L, I suppose we should look into it. I feel like it might be faster with a 2L...
        Find your Freedom

Click for PF Loans

Comment

DAT SOUND!

Slow motorsport is still more fun than no motorsport.
          Originally posted by brasher
          TJ is 99% African American.

Comment

Originally posted by Morgs View Post
            We were thinking that. I have no idea if its actually a 2.4L, I suppose we should look into it. I feel like it might be faster with a 2L...

The catch is, it will depend on what the chassis came out with. If it came out of the factory with the 2.0 and you put a factory motor in, you may qualify to enter. If it was a factory 2.4 chassis you wont be able to enter, even with the 2.0lt fitted.

Comment

Cool as sounds worse than a straight through moo

1998 MX5 - Ohlins DFV coilovers, Roll bar,15 x7.5 Konig Litespeeds, Mania Intake
              2014 Colorado LT - Oversized Whitegoods. Kid/bike/track hack/horse hauler.

Comment

[QUOTE=TJ;Slow motorsport is still more fun than no motorsport.[/QUOTE]

I'd rather be at 10/10ths hustling a slow car as fast as I can, than be at 11/10th in a car and be nowhere near it's limits

Comment

Nice Lambo. Love that colour

Comment

Need to get into 6 hour regularity relays. Perfectly suited to slower cheap cars. You have missed the SMSP one, not sure if there is a Wakefield one? Or come down to Winton in October like lots of the NSW MX5 guys do.

Comment

Thread on lambo?

Comment

Good base for cutting heaps of laps
                        Check out my shit for sale on facebook:
                        https://www.facebook.com/pages/Junk-...25870327473735

Comment

Lambo is sold...

Will look into the 6 year (ok hour, may seem like year in this thing) reg races thanks for that

Got some stickers from Neil_se to throw on hopefully this weekend, because all racecars need sponsorship. Hope to add many horsepowers.
                          Find your Freedom

Click for PF Loans

Comment

If you're sticking with calling it Lance you should get one of those brass nutsack tow bar things on the back and cut one ball off.
                            Originally posted by Dimi
                            80mm of penetration isn't bad, i wish i had that much.
                            Originally posted by schnitzelburger
                            My entire working career pretty much consists of suckin dick and takin names.

Sometimes im too busy to take names.

Comment

Originally posted by Sketchy View Post
                              If you're sticking with calling it Lance you should get one of those brass nutsack tow bar things on the back and cut one ball off, and fit a stealth nitrous system.
                              ftfy

Comment

Working...
                              X