Porsche 996 cup car

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No pinging that Iíve noticed. It occasionally misfires for a couple of minutes when cold but then smooths out and thereís only once been misfire/ignition break down when actually out on track (a couple of events ago) and it fixed itself and hasnít happened since. In retrospect, some of those 45/67% throttle measurements could have been me lifting slightly as the back straight has a kink in it, however the 67% lap was my fastest of the day and usually if you lift, itís very slight through the corner then back on the power for another 250m or so before the braking zone. The throttle data does not go back up though and drops to zero once I start down shifting. So, not a true reflection of what I was doing with the pedal. Also if the throttle was closing to save the engine, you would then think it would be opening again after 7400ish rpm when I started to feel full power come back, but the data doesnít show that. I would have thought the ECU would just pull timing if the fuel leans out as thatís a lot more aggressive and immediate protection than closing the throttle? This stuff is not my domain so Iím only guessing but itís interesting to speculate. Iím not overly worried as I reckon the car has been this way since I got it and Iíve only now driven it a couple of times without popping coolant hoses to realise that itís not right. Iíd imagine if it was dangerous to the motor it would be fucked by now as Iíve probably done 400 odd kms. The car otherwise is running well. If you hadnít driven a GT3 in anger before you probably wouldnít even notice as it still feels pretty rapid.

The shop who works on it are running a car in Carrera Cup at the Adelaide 500 in a couple of weeks so it will go in to them after thatís finished and hopefully then weíll have a verdict.

Comment

It’s been a while since I updated this thread. The car sat idle between the Porsche Club supersprint at Mallala in Feb until October of this year so I thought it was time to drive the thing again. Going back a while, there was a suspected power delivery issue that had been plaguing the car so some testing was needed. The car was sent to a dyno for a power run which when adjusted to crank figures pulled 380 hp. New these cars were 390 so within 10 hp of factory new is acceptable to me. The curve was as you’d expect for a cup car too, no evidence of power coming in and out as was felt on the track. I decided to go back to Mallala to see if I could recreate the issue since it had been a while. Sure enough, when accelerating in gears third and fourth the car hesitated very slightly, then on certain areas of the track it wouldn’t behave the same way and I’d suddenly have full power again. Quite frustrating but it allowed me to nail down the symptoms exactly and I still had some fun throwing the car around on old rubber.

Back to the workshop the car went to have the fuel pump pulled and inspected. Nothing obvious was found to be wrong with the pump but to eliminate it as the cause of the issue a new pump was fitted along with a wheel alignment in prep for a track day at The Bend.

Prior to the track day I played around with the sway bar settings and checked the shock compression and rebound settings. I hadn’t run the car on new tyres before and they say not to adjust set up based on the feel of the car with old rubber but I couldn’t help myself as the car always understeered too much for my taste, most likely due to old rubber haha. I adjusted the front bar to the middle setting and left the rear on stiffest to give it a try.

Out to The Bend for a public day on the 4.95km international layout, which is awesome. There were some cool cars there including Garry Rogers Motorsport testing the Renault TCR cars and some S5000s. James Moffat must have got the shits up with all of the traffic of a public day.

I also bolted on some new Hankook slicks in medium. The Hankook are about the same grip as old Pirelli but at $1200 less for a set I figured why not as I’m still learning the car and dialing in a set up and saw no sense in wasting a new set of Pirelli. After my first lap it was obvious the power issue was solved. The car was easily getting into 6th on the main straight (which it had never done previously) and a check of the data afterwards showed I gained 17km/h in top speed. I reckon it was down 40-50hp before.

My best lap was a 2:04 which I was satisfied with given all of the traffic and first time really having a good shake at the layout without worrying about coolant explosions or stuttering power delivery! To put this into perspective, the previous owner of Morgs car did a 1:59 on Pirelli. I reckon the 996 has a 2:01 in it with some good rubber, seat time and clean laps, so that’s the eventual goal. 2 min would be a dream. I was able to hang with a well driven 991.2 GT3RS so at 1/10th of the cost, I’m pretty happy.

The first video below is one of my cleaner laps, until a couple of whoopsies at the end that ruined it all. Amateur hack being distracted by traffic is my excuse. As you can see the set up is very pointy now and doesn’t tolerate tighter lines that well, but I’d rather manage that than understeer. The front end felt perfect, but the rear a bit sketchy so I’ll have to dial the sway bar back a notch and maybe pull some camber out before I go out again. The four consecutive right handers in the middle of the lap are bliss to go through! Have also included a couple of fly bys that some friends took from pit lane.

Last edited by spiller; 17-12-19, 12:10 PM.

Comment

Looks bliss. Nice pizzas.
        2017 Ford Ranger XLT (Jeep Wrangler recovery vehicle)
        2007 KTM 250 SX

Originally posted by Monza
        I've never considered myself the type of guy to eat arse but I am currently reviewing that policy

Comment

Nice in car and sweet noises from outside. The rear is indeed a bit twitchy, but if you have rear bar set full hard youve got an obvious path to follow as you mentioned.
          I Plan ​​on getting to MSCA sprint at The Bend early June 2020. Be good to see your car in action if you enter.
          Last edited by 200MPH; 17-12-19, 11:41 PM.

Comment

looks and sounds great. do want...

1998 MX5 - Ohlins DFV coilovers, Roll bar,15 x7.5 Konig Litespeeds, Mania Intake
            2014 Colorado LT - Oversized Whitegoods. Kid/bike/track hack/horse hauler.

Comment

Originally posted by 200MPH View Post
              Nice in car and sweet noises from outside. The rear is indeed a bit twitchy, but if you have rear bar set full hard youve got an obvious path to follow as you mentioned.
              I Plan ​​on getting to MSCA sprint at The Bend early June 2020. Be good to see your car in action if you enter.
              I’ve never actually done an MSCA event but they intrigue me, always get great numbers and good variety of cars which is what it’s all about. What will you be entering in? Is it a bit of a national meet?

Comment

Originally posted by spiller View Post
                It’s been a while since I updated this thread. The car sat idle between the Porsche Club supersprint at Mallala in Feb until October of this year so I thought it was time to drive the thing again. Going back a while, there was a suspected power delivery issue that had been plaguing the car so some testing was needed. The car was sent to a dyno for a power run which when adjusted to crank figures pulled 380 hp. New these cars were 390 so within 10 hp of factory new is acceptable to me. The curve was as you’d expect for a cup car too, no evidence of power coming in and out as was felt on the track. I decided to go back to Mallala to see if I could recreate the issue since it had been a while. Sure enough, when accelerating in gears third and fourth the car hesitated very slightly, then on certain areas of the track it wouldn’t behave the same way and I’d suddenly have full power again. Quite frustrating but it allowed me to nail down the symptoms exactly and I still had some fun throwing the car around on old rubber.

Back to the workshop the car went to have the fuel pump pulled and inspected. Nothing obvious was found to be wrong with the pump but to eliminate it as the cause of the issue a new pump was fitted along with a wheel alignment in prep for a track day at The Bend.

Prior to the track day I played around with the sway bar settings and checked the shock compression and rebound settings. I hadn’t run the car on new tyres before and they say not to adjust set up based on the feel of the car with old rubber but I couldn’t help myself as the car always understeered too much for my taste, most likely due to old rubber haha. I adjusted the front bar to the middle setting and left the rear on stiffest to give it a try.

Out to The Bend for a public day on the 4.95km international layout, which is awesome. There were some cool cars there including Garry Rogers Motorsport testing the Renault TCR cars and some S5000s. James Moffat must have got the shits up with all of the traffic of a public day.

I also bolted on some new Hankook slicks in medium. The Hankook are about the same grip as old Pirelli but at $1200 less for a set I figured why not as I’m still learning the car and dialing in a set up and saw no sense in wasting a new set of Pirelli. After my first lap it was obvious the power issue was solved. The car was easily getting into 6th on the main straight (which it had never done previously) and a check of the data afterwards showed I gained 17km/h in top speed. I reckon it was down 40-50hp before.

My best lap was a 2:04 which I was satisfied with given all of the traffic and first time really having a good shake at the layout without worrying about coolant explosions or stuttering power delivery! To put this into perspective, the previous owner of Morgs car did a 1:59 on Pirelli. I reckon the 996 has a 2:01 in it with some good rubber, seat time and clean laps, so that’s the eventual goal. 2 min would be a dream. I was able to hang with a well driven 991.2 GT3RS so at 1/10th of the cost, I’m pretty happy.

The first video below is one of my cleaner laps, until a couple of whoopsies at the end that ruined it all. Amateur hack being distracted by traffic is my excuse. As you can see the set up is very pointy now and doesn’t tolerate tighter lines that well, but I’d rather manage that than understeer. The front end felt perfect, but the rear a bit sketchy so I’ll have to dial the sway bar back a notch and maybe pull some camber out before I go out again. The four consecutive right handers in the middle of the lap are bliss to go through! Have also included a couple of fly bys that some friends took from pit lane.

Mate that is awesome. You seem to drive yours about as frequently as ours.. lol

We are still on the same rubber as that 1.59 as well. Need to get that sorted!

I reckon you've got good pace there. Manual gear shift seems massively slow in comparison to the sequential so you've done well!!

We're equally oversteer killdeathy... and I'm also allergic to lap traffic is that helps.... It is especially awkward when those 991 GT3 RS are equally quick in a straight line... when you need to get into the next corner and the only thing separating the two cars is braking and ego
                Find your Freedom
                Home Loans | Car Loans | Investment Portfolios | Property Management
                www.FreedomFunding.com.au
                www.ProgressiveProperty.com.au

Click for PF Loans
                If you're thinking of buying, or that you may be paying too much on your home loan PM me for a no obligation chat!

Comment

Originally posted by spiller View Post
                  I’ve never actually done an MSCA event but they intrigue me, always get great numbers and good variety of cars which is what it’s all about. What will you be entering in? Is it a bit of a national meet?
                  Me neither! Will be last stop on a tour of bucket list eastern state tracks for me. Bathurst, SMSP, PI then Bend. Then truck car back to Perth. Should be a lot of Victorian cars there I understand. I'll be tagging along with Lotus mob on the Sunday and next day on Monday. S2 Exige S. I understand you've been there already...

Comment

Originally posted by Morgs View Post

Mate that is awesome. You seem to drive yours about as frequently as ours.. lol

We are still on the same rubber as that 1.59 as well. Need to get that sorted!

I reckon you've got good pace there. Manual gear shift seems massively slow in comparison to the sequential so you've done well!!

We're equally oversteer killdeathy... and I'm also allergic to lap traffic is that helps.... It is especially awkward when those 991 GT3 RS are equally quick in a straight line... when you need to get into the next corner and the only thing separating the two cars is braking and ego
                    Yes haha 570km added time mine in 20 months. Evidently the h-pattern is a lot slower in the hands of an amateur . Back in the Carrera cup days they used to flat shift them which was 95% as quick as the sequential but not very good for longevity! I still haven’t got a good grip on the race clutch as far as timing goes, think I need to be a bit more brutal with it as it doesn’t like slow shifts.

I have a supposedly good wheel alignment set up that a guy in the states gave me and insisted makes the car a lot less nervous and twitchy with improved tyre life that you can have if you want. I’d be interested to know what alignment specs yours has been set up to (assume PR tech did one when you prepped the car?). Those Pirelli DH are amazing for wear, I had a used set on the rear that were unknown mileage when I got them and added another 420km and probably 20 heat cycles and they were still working and had tread depth when I took them off!

Traffic gets old very quick in one of these for sure, there’s a fun element to never being passed at track days though .

Comment

Originally posted by 200MPH View Post

Me neither! Will be last stop on a tour of bucket list eastern state tracks for me. Bathurst, SMSP, PI then Bend. Then truck car back to Perth. Should be a lot of Victorian cars there I understand. I'll be tagging along with Lotus mob on the Sunday and next day on Monday. S2 Exige S. I understand you've been there already...
                      Sounds like a great trip. I had a cup 240 with a TVS blower about 5 years ago, awesome cars and loads of fun, but you don’t need me to tell you that . Now that you mention it, I remember us discussing your car briefly in a thread somewhere, 350-400hp from memory? It should eat up the bend, the stock ones struggle on the 1km straight a bit. There was a cup 240 out there on Saturday along with a couple of modded Exige V6s. I’ll keep this event in mind as June approaches.
                      Last edited by spiller; 19-12-19, 07:51 AM.

Comment

Ha, wish it had that power. I'm a motor + trans build and TVS away from this figures! Pretty stock, just tweaked up about as far is semi sensible, close to 300 engine HP I'd estimate. Intake, mufffler, pulley swap Goes very well up to 4th gear, gets a bit dull in 5th. Here is standing 1km sprint, 222kmh trap speed.
                        https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=EpOfhl8Ya_M

Hopefully see you there in June then. First I gotta get car trucked to Bathurst next month, do 3 track days and 2 interstate drives. If it all goes to plan, I'll get bent in June!

Comment

Working...
                        X