Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mike Lowrrryyy View Post
    Here is a photo of your car next to the car that Iíve been offered at Bathurst. Iím tempted but just donít think Iíd get the use out of it.

That sounds like the responsible thing to say - don't be responsible.
    Originally posted by Mr Jones
    Sneakers prompted the erection. Engine stand made me do something with it

Comment

Did lol @ "More than just foam and rubber."

If you don't mind sharing, what was costs to replace/refresh the coolant systems hoses and rads?

Comment

[QUOTE=Mike Lowrrryyy;843081154]Here is a photo of your car next to the car that Iíve been offered at Bathurst. Iím tempted but just donít think Iíd get the use out of it.

This one at $125k does seem to make yours a relative bargain I imagine Spiller?

http://www.my105.com/ListingDetails/...rsche/id/19575

Comment

Originally posted by gmx View Post
          Did lol @ "More than just foam and rubber."

If you don't mind sharing, what was costs to replace/refresh the coolant systems hoses and rads?
          From memeory it was roughly $1800-2K. I think I quoted 20 hours of labour but it was less as I had other stuff like set up and alignment on the same invoice. I reckon hoses were $700ish, the radiators are only $300ish which surprised me!

[QUOTE=darkside;843081436]
          Originally posted by Mike Lowrrryyy View Post
          Here is a photo of your car next to the car that Iíve been offered at Bathurst. Iím tempted but just donít think Iíd get the use out of it.

This one at $125k does seem to make yours a relative bargain I imagine Spiller?

http://www.my105.com/ListingDetails/...rsche/id/19575
          That is a very well sorted car but yep, I like to think/hope I have a bit of value left over in mine if I need to do some bigger maintenance later on. At least thatís what Iíll tell my nopics if I still have the car when it comes time to justify an engine rebuild down the track haha.

Comment

I was always pleasantly surprised when I replaced bits on my 996. Parts prices weren't bad, as there was a fair amount of aftermarket competition for OEM stuff.

Comment

Some stuff isnít too bad. Anything engine and driveline is usually drug money. The biggest issue with the 996 is a lot of parts are no longer available. For example cylinder heads (can use 997), uprights, tub (!), front bumper etc etc. Makes racing one door to door a bit risky.

Comment

Really enjoyed reading this write up spiller!
                The car looks great too
                Hope you have a better run with it and the niggling issues are sorted

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

^^^ thanks mate

Someone on another forum just tagged me in this clip of David Reynolds binning his car through the sweeper at Clipsal whilst chasing my car. First time Iíve seen TV footage of the car as there is very little old Carrera Cup stuff on YouTube. Uncle the car youíre looking at is in the same shot.

Hmm might have to put the original colours back.

Comment

Would look awesome in the original sticker job.

I probably stuck my head under this car in 05/06 if it ran at Bathurst. Dad and I signed up to be officials, randomly picked scrutineering not knowing what it was, ended up on Carrera cup. Learnt heaps from the tech director, short German bloke.

I remember him checking clutch diameter/part number on one of the Bob Jane cars in park ferme, took the techs no time to pull the box back (?) for a looksie.

/storytime

Sent from my VS Commodore eurovox headunit using Tapatalk
                    Tow car/camping bus: 2011 D40 Navara ST

Baby mobile: 2016 Nissan Qashqai

75 Mini Clubman club racer - DCOE powah

Comment

^^ you probably would have as it was there in 2005. One of the other cars in the team (the green/blue one) was destroyed at that event, slid on some coolant going through the chase and rolled about 11ty times through the gravel trap. Footage also on YouTube.

Comment

Talking coolant.. What is the thinking behind running 1% concentration of coolant?? I thought with an engine like that you would want all the protection you can get.

Comment

Originally posted by Spammy View Post
                          Talking coolant.. What is the thinking behind running 1% concentration of coolant?? I thought with an engine like that you would want all the protection you can get.
                          Coolant is more for corrosion and anti freeze rather than preventing overheating. It's also either not permitted, or strongly advised against on circuits.

Comment

Picking up where I left of with the updates on the car...

Iím now at the end of November and ready for another Adelaide Motorsport Festival. This was the fourth consecutive year of participating in the event. Canít say enough about how good this event is. Who wouldnít have fun hooning around part of the old F1 circuit. The event is usually 4x10 minute sessions over two days and is run in a supersprint format. Not a heap of track time but they have about 50K spectators and for a pleb competitor like me itís the closest youíd get to being involved in a national type of event like Clipsal or something. Maybe not that large, but certainly a big step up
                            from your typical club day. This year they added a practice day on the Friday which was for participants and crew only. This allowed an additional two sessions to get everything right before timed competition sessions would commence for the Saturday and Sunday. Just to mention a few, Dutton rocked up with two Le Mans winning Porsche 962s and the late Mark Donohueís Porsche IROC car from 1973. Probably 10 million bucks between the three cars. As usual there were a number of 80s and 90s F1 cars. On the Friday we got to see Lowndsey hanging about the tents and he seemed to love the relaxed environment with ďthe boysĒ, helping start some of the F1 cars etc. Overall, the event has a great vibe for any motorsport enthusiast and Iíd encourage anyone thinking about taking part to sign up for 2019.

As discussed previously, up to this point I had replaced pretty much the entire cooling system and was crossing my fingers that the car would complete the event. I hadnít yet run it without niggling issues, despite three previous attempts. I was also pretty keen to see how the car would compare to my 996 GT3 road car which I ran on the same track in 2016. 2018 was Porscheís 70th Birthday and so the theme of the event was 70 Years of Porsche. They had a huge corporate section there and some collectable Porkas on display. BMW and Ferrari also had fairly large displays. There were two Porsche categories on track, one for the street cars and one for the race cars. I was in the latter.

All stickered up for the event. I also decided to add some extra period decals (added at least 20hp) so that it didnít look so bare.

As mentioned, I was in the Porsche race car category. My competition included a couple of 991 cups (one being a brand new 2018 spec), a bunch of 997.2 cups, a cayman GT4 Clubsport and a couple of 993 GT2 replicas which had about 450hp. I figured going into the event that I wouldnít be competitive and given itís more of an exhibition than anything, I didnít bother with fresh tyres. Up until this point I hadnít even driven the car in anger, and on a short exhibition type circuit, I concluded that fresh slicks would be a total waste. That didnít stop some of the 997 guys from purchasing new soft compound pirellis for the event! I had old Pirellis on the rear and some hankooks on the front lol.

On the practice day, the car was idling quite roughly from the cold start prior to the first session. Occasionally on cold start the idle is a bit lumpy until it warms up but the lumpiness didnít go away this time and it sounded like it was running on 4 or 5 cylinders. Here we go. The only thing I had changed since running the car last time was a new air filter. Out I went for the first prac session...the track was horrible, there dust and shit all over it from closing the public road only an hour or so earlier. The car was shit too. There was an engine hesitation right through the middle of the rev range in every gear, throughout the entire session. At least the engine temps were fine and no coolant lights came on. At the completion of the session I was pretty gutted, thinking I was probably going to miss out on the entire event ahead. I also noticed there was still a little evidence of some type of fluid collecting on the front left wheel. More fucking coolant? Oddly, when checking inside the wheel well, there were no traces to be seen. Buiks were there supporting the new Brabham car (fucking awesome thing btw) and reluctantly (as I didnít want to bother them), I ducked over there to ask if they could at least quickly lay eyes on the car to see if I could do anything. After a quick check, the consensus was that if it was a coolant leak there would be likely be large quantities of coolant to be seen, and the gauge would be flashing, so to continue running the car and keep an eye on things. As for the misfire, the plugs and coils had been examined mere kms earlier when they did the leak down test and all was OK on that front. It couldíve obviously be a multitude of other things, dirty fuel filter, wiring issue etc etc. At this point I was 7 months into owning a car that had not yet run right and I had a bit of a sick, sinking feeling in my guts. I didnít have any choice but to run the car and see what would eventuate, which is what I did.

Then, in the second session, hoo-fucking-ray!! The misfire magically disappeared and the car ran flawlessly! I was able to slide the car around close to the limit and get through the entire session. As I came back into the pits I was so elated that I yelled out a big woohoo whilst slapped the dash board repeatedly, as if me and the car were best buddies! Classic love-hate relationship. Anyone who saw me probably thought I was a bit weird. For the first time since owning the car, I finally felt like I could go into the timed sessions with a bit of confidence and actually focus on driving the car rather than looking at gauges.

It all came together in the second timed session on the Saturday. I had an awesome 10 minute battle with a Cayman GT4 Clubsport. The two cars are similarly matched with near enough HP and torque figures but the cayman has much better brakes (same as 991 cup) and a PDK transmission, plus traction control etc. Itís aimed at gentleman drivers. I would pull away from him on the straight with my slightly better power-to-weight ratio and he would come back at me through the tight sections with his better brakes and fresh slicks. To my delight, I was able to stay ahead of him. After the session I checked the timing to see that I had come in 5th place, just behind a couple of 991 cups, but suprisigly ahead of a number of the 997.2 guys who had shelled out for new soft slicks.

Hereís in the in car from the session.

Session 2 was definitely the highlight of the event for me as after that, the rear tyres really started to go away and it was impossible to keep up with the other higher hp cars with their shorter gearing. I eventually finished the event plumb last in category, but I hit a PB for the track and was only half a second or so off the 997.2s in what was a very quick category with little gap between fastest and slowest. I was very pleased. Most pleasing of all, was that I finally got to drive the car close to the limit, and not counting the first practice session, was able to complete the event without any issues. Initiation and shakedown perhaps complete!

My best time of the event was a 51.3. I think with some fresher tyres to get better drive off the painfully slow corners at the back of the circuit, thereís a low 50 in it. Interestingly, my best time in the road car in 2016 was a 51.6 which was set on brand new soft compound A050s. This had me scratching my head a bit as despite the cup car being quite similar to the road car, even on old slicks I would have expected a slightly bigger gap. Until I went back and watched the YouTube from 2016 (video in next post)

Comment

You may recall earlier where I said the road car had much shorter gearing the cup car. Well, I didnít actually realise this until I had watched the in-car videos of the two cars back to back. In the video from 2016, you can clearly see the road car shifts into 2nd, 3rd and 4th gears significantly earlier than the cup car. On an unusually tight track like the one run at AMF, this would account for a substantial time difference (I reckon a least 1 second saved). Not favorable for the cup car which likes to be in the 6-8k rpm range at all times. By comparison, it seems to take an eternity to wind up off the slow corners. I reckon it could benefit from slightly shorter gearing but itís not something Iíll bother with. Porsche set them up this way to be able to run pretty much anywhere without a gear change, but no question that theyíre best suited to flowing European style tracks. On a track like Mallala where it can stretch its legs a bit more, the cup should be 3-4 seconds a lap better on a good day. My PB in the GT3 at Mallala was 1:15 flat. Pro drivers have done 1:09 there in 996 cups. I have yet to run my cup there but would be happy to get into the 12s.

Some pics of the Adelaide Motorsport Festival

As it stands, there is a small list of things Iíd like to do to the car in 2019:

-replace fuel filter
                              -replace faulty engine oil pressure sensor (current one is reading max at all times).
                              -run the car on the dyno to check hp figures (just for the sake of curiosity)
                              -put the original Glenfords livery back on (yet to determine whether ill paint the colours or use vinyl for all of it)
                              -replace the lexan windows

I probably wonít get many opportunities to drive it in the first half of the year as we are capping off a big house renovation but will see if I can squeeze a sprint or two in.

Thanks for reading.

Comment

Originally posted by spiller View Post
                                As I came back into the pits I was so elated that I yelled out a big woohoo whilst slapped the dash board repeatedly, as if me and the car were best buddies! Classic love-hate relationship. Anyone who saw me probably thought I was a bit weird.
                                That is literally, the fucking best :D I can feel the adulation.

Being a cold start lumpiness, does it have some sort of oil pressure or coolant temp trickery that won't let you get up it until those values are satisfied?

Comment

Working...
                                X