Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

VN Group A Stage 2

Hi All, Oldracer here and I will attempt to keep this build thread updated with our process. My son Scoopa and I have bought Lightyears VN GRP A and our background is circuit sprints going back to an XA Coupe in '96 through to a VY Clubby LS1 of recent times which was a full body car with cage that we managed a 51 flat at the Island. Our intention with the VN is to mix tarmac rallying with circuit sprints and racing for the young Scoopa who at the moment doesn't have his racing licence so that is a job at hand in the not too distant future.
    We have procured Alcon 6 pot front brakes with 365mm floating rotors for the front and the rear brakes are as yet unknown. I deal with Brakes Direct and currently waiting on their recommendation for full racing pads as our others were Project MU road/race compound. They are talking Raybestos so we will wait and see.
    The car is currently at TJH Performance having the gearbox removed and swapped with the fresh magnum that we had in the VY, sorting the fuel pump/starting issues and trial fitting the Alcons. A fresh set of plugs, and fluids will be done in readiness for our first outing in April at the Island.
    Once sorted, we will have it tuned and get a base line RWK in readiness for a heads and cam rebuild in the next couple of month
    We have another set of Koya SF01's to go with the SF03's that were on the car and running Yokohama A050's that have 2 track days on them.
    I have been recommended Pirelli trofeo R's for tarmac work so I am waiting on that outcome.
    We have run Nankangs on the VY and they are ok, very heavy but we have had 3 fail on us so far, splitting from the inside and have yet to have Nankang acknowledge any recompense for their shit tyres, never again for the track.
    We are not expecting wonders immediately in the way of track times as it has to be said that Lightyear is a talented steerer so getting to his times will take lots of laps.
    Will let you know how we go over the next couple of weeks.

*like*

Buying cars of the light year is fun innit?

.... because every driver experiences the destructive potential of the effortless surge of power available through the smallest of body movements.

Dr Hoon

DrNick is king!!!! No, Mark Webber is now! Long live the king!... hold on a minute mate, Ricci is in charge now

Comment

it certainly is, like a box of chocolates

Comment

Nice! Subscribed..

Comment

G'day Stan...

Just picked up 2 of the set of SF03's that were a silver colour that we had powdercoated in white........WOW they look sweet, will post up some pics soon

Brakes Direct have recommended Raybestros ST47's so we will go with those and see how they perform.
          Last edited by oldracer; 12-02-20, 05:04 PM.

Comment

Just found out the mechanic that does our suspension work also runs BC Coilovers in his IPRA Ford Focus so the synergy in our suppliers is starting to feel eery, our good mate Timmy at TJH Performance is an LS guru and is champing at the bit to massage the 6ltr, feeling excited for the journey.

Comment

Awesome, look forward to following your journey from afar.

Welcome to the forum BTW.

Comment

Originally posted by andy_wk View Post
                Awesome, look forward to following your journey from afar.

Welcome to the forum BTW.
                thanks Andy hopefully the content will be interesting

Comment

Trying to get the roll cage National spec compliant and business must be awesome as I have no response to an email after a week to a fabricator

Comment

Nice pickup. Good plan to be doing a combo of track and rally. Will be some solid father son time 2 up in a tarmac rally. Re tyres the 050 are a good thing for rallying as well as track.

Comment

Day No1, T56 Magnum installed in place of standard t56, Alcon 6 pot fronts installed, new Optima battery/battery box installed, fresh plugs, diff oil, race brake fluid and a liberal dose of fresh Liqui Moly engine oil, a good day

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4895.JPG
Views:	236
Size:	3.25 MB
ID:	7113621

Comment

this car runs an accusump which I understand is good for the supply of oil to the engine whilst cornering under severe G forces......to an extent and not sure if we need to find out how far the current system will hold up.

The car under Lightyears command was low 40's at the island which is probably at the limit of the accusump so we will investigate dry sumping the LS2, as part of the upgrade plans are heads and cam.

Comment

Originally posted by darkside View Post
                            Nice pickup. Good plan to be doing a combo of track and rally. Will be some solid father son time 2 up in a tarmac rally. Re tyres the 050 are a good thing for rallying as well as track.
                            Hi darkside, yes really looking forward to the tarmac side of our hobby, love our weekends away now but Targa etc will take it to another level. We run A050's on our clubby now and very happy with them so that's the favoured path now I think. Have been given a couple of older Pirelli Trofeo R's to try so will give them a run at the island and see how they feel.

Comment

is it 'cheap' to use the ls7 dry sump and fit it vs aftermarket?
                              Last edited by clutch-monkey; 15-02-20, 08:21 PM.
                              Originally posted by Walt Kowalski
                              Memes are only detectable by NSA.

Comment

Working...
                              X