97 MX5 Group 2f race car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

97 MX5 Group 2f race car

About 18 months ago I finally chose to get MX5 so i could have stress free track time and a lot of it. In a short amount of time I brought that car to exactly where I wanted to. I was getting lots of track time, it was handling very well and I was having fun. But...and this is an obvious conclusion...the better handling you make the car, the more painful it becomes down the straights.

So I was faced with a decision, turbo, blower or angry atmo. Any of those choice would be a minimum of $10k and I just wasn't prepared to spend that on this car. Anyway, a mate had been on to me for quite some time about a certain 2f race MX5, one of the quicker ones nationally. That was needling in the back of my mind and I was thinking of selling the current MX5 road/track car at the end of the season. Then out of the blue I was given an offer I couldn't refuse, money, not man sex. So it was gone in a matter of 48 hours.

24 hours later I bought said 2f MX5. It's achieved pretty well; 1:24 QR National, 1:53 PI, 2:39 Bathurst, 59s Lakeside. Baring in mind 2f production sports means all steel and glass, no aero and the engine needs to look standard on the outside. So it's running a current spec Gary Stewart motor with 215 flywheel HP out of 1839cc with a single throttle body and (externally) standard looking inlet manifold on 98. Has carillo rods, light crank, 11:5:1 comp, significant head work and sounds like bridge port rotor. A tiny flywheel and clutch means it revs up like a motorbike.

The car is a Jap import 97 model and was imported to Aus in the early 2000s and turned straight into a race car. So its spent more time as a race car than a road. It's very well built, you could eat your breakfast off the undercarriage. It was a BRG car but has been painted doors forward yellow. First thing I did when I got it home was remove the flames and all the stickers. Looks much better IMHO but this is temporary. The car will be painted BRG from the doors forward after the season is over.

Realistically, I'd just like to learn how to drive this car quickly. I'm already suspicious that I won't like it's current set up, it's pretty stiff with a lot of rack, so I'm expecting it to be quite oversteery. But I need to give it a crack first. It came with a comprehensive spares package including another set of 949 racing wheels with fresh 225/45R15 Kumho V70as and 4 rims with super soft V70s that have been siped for wet weather. Theres also a full set of control arms, AVO coilovers, discs, springs, alternator, starter motor, all sensors, brake pads etc etc etc.

First track is next week. Can't wait!
    Click image for larger version

Name:	image_118298.jpg
Views:	411
Size:	302.2 KB
ID:	7176105Click image for larger version

Name:	image_118297.jpg
Views:	422
Size:	318.7 KB
ID:	7176104Click image for larger version

Name:	image_118296.jpg
Views:	414
Size:	241.2 KB
ID:	7176103Click image for larger version

Name:	image_118299.jpg
Views:	398
Size:	310.5 KB
ID:	7176106
    Last edited by Guido; 10-09-20, 09:36 PM.
    Rust is lighter than carbon fibre.

My Italian 510

A few more pics.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	thumbnail_IMG_2281.jpg
Views:	408
Size:	314.7 KB
ID:	7176108Click image for larger version

Name:	thumbnail_IMG_2283.jpg
Views:	395
Size:	338.8 KB
ID:	7176109Click image for larger version

Name:	thumbnail_IMG_2292.jpg
Views:	398
Size:	358.8 KB
ID:	7176110

My Italian 510

Comment

The wheel is benetton-esque, love it.

I'd be wary of 6ULs though..

Comment

Cool

What does it weigh, with you and gas on board?

Comment

Originally posted by Swang View Post
          The wheel is benetton-esque, love it.

I'd be wary of 6ULs though...
          I'm still not sure if that's a typically exaggerated Seppo thing or not. You don't seem to hear of them cracking so much in the local motorsport community?? That said, it's not going to see potholes on roads and checking them for cracks is just really best practice as part of between round maintenance.

My Italian 510

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Ree View Post
            Cool

What does it weigh, with you and gas on board?
            Apparently sub 900kg with enough fuel for a race on board, no driver. Though I'll find out next week when I put it over the MP weigh bridge.

My Italian 510

Comment

That looks very nice. Hot side coolant reroute looks a bit how you going though.
              Chris
              ------
              The new nugget
              I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself. - D.H.Lawrence

Comment

Originally posted by takai View Post
                That looks very nice. Hot side coolant reroute looks a bit how you going though.
                Why? It's got adequate heat shielding underneath, has nice brackets made to keep it further up and away from the exhaust and seems to have competed in quite a few endurance events. I wouldn't have chosen blue silicone, but that's a pretty small gripe.

My Italian 510

Comment

More the multiple silicone joins over the top of the exhaust add to extra points of failure. Why tempt fate when cold side reroutes exist that can eliminate one of those silicone sections and reduce the heat soak over that area.
                  Chris
                  ------
                  The new nugget
                  I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself. - D.H.Lawrence

Comment

Originally posted by Guido View Post

I'm still not sure if that's a typically exaggerated Seppo thing or not. You don't seem to hear of them cracking so much in the local motorsport community?? That said, it's not going to see potholes on roads and checking them for cracks is just really best practice as part of between round maintenance.

I've known of at least 2 which have cracked locally. I'm not saying every wheel will be effected and supposedly it was only 2 gens effected, I'd still be wary though as you have a nice car.

Comment

Last edited by Guido; 12-09-20, 04:51 PM.

My Italian 510

Comment

Nice.. Do like...

1998 MX5 - Ohlins DFV coilovers, Roll bar,15 x7.5 Konig Litespeeds, Mania Intake
                        2014 Colorado LT - Oversized Whitegoods. Kid/bike/track hack/horse hauler.

Comment

excellent.. fun factor on something like this would be hard to beat.
                          www.markpakula.com
                          2017 Subaru Impreza Hatch - for the grind
                          2015 Cervelo S2 - for the fitness
                          2005 Honda Accord Euro - for the wife
                          2010 BMW S1000RR - for the sanity

Comment

Good to see someone with some sense and actually racing instead of projecting for ever, colour as is looks great.

Comment

Sounds off it's head. Love it๐Ÿ‘

Comment

Working...
                              X